The Banter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolute blinder played by City and after a quick scan of the most recent page you've all managed to completely miss the point whilst falling over one another to stick the boot into Biz again. No surprises there then :p

This IS NOT 'just' a stadium/shirt sponsorship deal. This can be in no way compared with what the Emirates have with Arsenal, what Qatar have with Barcelona, or what anyone have with anyone else.

This deal incorporates sponsorship for an entire AREA. A whole project of massive development integral to Manchester City and the City of Manchester itself, all of it coming under the Etihad banner. You can't put it to a fair market value test because there is nothing else like it to compare it too. Like I said in the transfer thread yesterday, the plans for City are massive. Far bigger than buying an expensive first team squad and playing real life FM.

Don't kid yourself, it's a toy for some very rich people that's all.

I don't see it as that huge a deal to be honest. Even if we take it as 400mill then city have just signed away a huge chunk of their potential commercial income away for 40mill a year (with I believe 4mill of that going to the council for the next 5). I'd fully expect united's next shirt sponsorship alone to be around 30mill a year, within 10 years it'll probably be near the 40mill mark solely for shirt sponsorship.

Of course it's a bit embarrassing to have to sponsor yourselves but any port in a storm and all that. If it carries on like this though then city's income might approach it's but their costs will correspondingly be higher as they have to pay a 'we're crap' premium.

I suppose one way to do it would be to force open bidding as an indicator of fair market value but I don't know how Uefa would assess 4 companies offering 2 packs of quavers and half a pack of polos for a sponsorship and one offering 25mill a season.

Regarding City's naming rights..
johnhenry.png

Probably (possibly) been mentioned, but earlier on a certain City fan from these boards asked how the national airline of a different country is City sponsoring themselves.. well, from the UEFA article on the situation:
Etihad is the national airline of Abu Dhabi, whose ruler is the half-brotherof City's owner Sheikh Mansour.
Something fishy about this deal, sorry.

Probably (possibly) been mentioned, but earlier on a certain City fan from these boards asked how the national airline of a different country is City sponsoring themselves.. well, from the UEFA article on the situation:

Something fishy about this deal, sorry.

Of course there is, everyone knew there would be from the moment it was mentioned.

by UEFA's own rules, deals are investigated in the following situations regardless of the fee
E. Related party, related party transactions and fair value of related party transactions

1. A related party is a person or entity that is related to the entity that is preparing its financial statements (the ‘reporting entity’).
2. A person or a close member of that person’s family is related to a reporting entity if that person:
a) has control or joint control over the reporting entity;
b) has significant influence over the reporting entity; or
c) is a member of the key management personnel of the reporting entity or of a parent of the reporting entity.

3. An entity is related to a reporting entity if any of the following conditions apply:
a) The entity and the reporting entity are members of the same group (which means that each parent, subsidiary and fellow subsidiary is related to the others);
b) One entity is an associate or joint venture of the other entity (or an associate or joint venture of a member of a group of which the other entity is a member);
c) Both entities are joint ventures of the same third party;
d) One entity is a joint venture of a third entity and the other entity is an associate of the third entity;
e) The entity is a post-employment benefit plan for the benefit of employees of either the reporting entity or an entity related to the reporting entity. If the reporting entity is itself such a plan, the sponsoring employers are also related to the reporting entity;
f) The entity is controlled or jointly controlled by a person identified in paragraph 2; or
g) A person identified in paragraph 2(a) has significant influence over the entity or is a member of the key management personnel of the entity (or of a parent of the entity).

4. With reference to paragraphs 1 to 3 above, the following definitions apply:
a) Close members of the family of a person are those family members who may be expected to influence, or be influenced by, that individual in their dealings with the entity. They may include that person’s children and spouse or domestic partner, children of that person’s spouse or domestic partner, and dependants of that person or that person’s spouse or domestic partner.

Etihad have never made a profit by the way, in fact its only been used to boost the profile of other corporations from that area of the world. So they cant even use that excuse..
Surely the net is closing in ...

wtf at Romario

Recognition

Johan Cruyff defined him as "genius of the goal area".[21]
Former Argentina international player Diego Maradona, in his autobiography Yo soy El Diego, described Romário as an "incredible finisher" adding that he had not seen a striker like him, and mentioning that Romário would be in his all-time "dream team" without any hesitation.
Roberto Baggio said: "Romário is one of the greatest players of all time. He has good technique and personality. He is a master of art in the penalty area."[22]
Michael Laudrup has stated that Romario was his favorite striking partner throughout his career. "No one else could utilize my passes the way he did."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romário

he stopped playing professional football 2 years ago at age 43 and stopped playing international football for the best team in the world at 39.

guy was a childhood hero, look at his scoring stats for Brazil, Barcelona and PSV.

over his whole professional career he scored 368 goals in 521 games, bear in mind what age he was for a lot of them.

also if you want to look into friendlies too then

One thousandth goal

On May 20, 2007, Romário scored his 1000th goal, a penalty kick against Sport Recife, playing for Vasco da Gama. The Brazilian press claimed him as one of few players in professional football history to achieve this, like Pelé and Puskás[4] The 1000th goal drew much attention from both Brazilian and international press, with the game being stopped for over 20 minutes to allow for celebrations from his fans.[5][6][7][8] There is some controversy over the validity of the 1000 goals as it claim is somewhat inaccurate, because Romário's research team counted his goals in junior, friendly and non-official games.[9][10]

FIFA congratulated Romário on his milestone goal[11] but stated he is still officially on 929 goals, as 77 came in youth football, with others being scored in friendly matches.[12]

In 2008 Romário released a DVD with the best goals of his career totaling 900 goals in the disc.[13

Brazil make amazing footballers

As has been reported over the last few days, it's looking increasingly likely that we're going to be leaving Anfield:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/lfc-statement-on-stadium

New quotes from the council today, reading between the lines they wont support LFC's attempt to re-develop Anfield because of the necessity to buy all the surrounding property (Much further then the new stand will go back to, because of 'right to light' rules).

:eek:

I just went on Ladbrokes website to place a £100 bet on Brighton to win the Championship.

Not going to bother now as they are only 16/1 !!!!!!!!!!!

Ridiculous:rolleyes:

I was hoping for at least 33/1 to actually win the league

5/1 to be promoted:mad:

I would have thought that it being their first season in the new stadium might have counted against them as well tbh

Leeds are 6/1 btw Gilly:p

Last edited:
:eek:

I just went on Ladbrokes website to place a £100 bet on Brighton to win the Championship.

Not going to bother now as they are only 16/1 !!!!!!!!!!!

Ridiculous:rolleyes:

I was hoping for at least 33/1 to actually win the league

why would the lower odds stop you from putting on such a bet, surely £1600 is still a similar amount to win? :confused:

why would the lower odds stop you from putting on such a bet, surely £1600 is still a similar amount to win? :confused:

Of course £1600 would be excellent, massive amount for me!:p However......

If i had a hunch that a newly promoted team were going to win the league (an incredible achievemnt, predicting that, over 46 games before a ball is kicked!!) i would want a hell of a lot more than that tbh.

Seriously, 16/1 is just silly to win the league, though i was looking more at a bet just to get promoted, where i would probably be prepared to go as low as 12/1 maybe 10/1, but 5/1 i also think is silly.

I know a lot is expected from them, but i wasn't expecting them to be this 'fancied' as it were.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom