The Banter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato

It's obscene I agree, but exactly like Chelsea the huge initial financial investment is only there to lay foundations for long term growth and eventually profit. Revenues at MCFC have already increased 44% in a single year. There is a huge mission underway at City that extends far beyond the players wages, with massive investment in just about anything you can throw money at, especially the academy and training facilities.

The true shame isn't the amount they've spent, it's having to spend that amount to break into the top of the league. We could be one of the last clubs subject to such huge investment to put us on good footing for competition at the highest level. Take away that possibility and how many more smaller clubs do you think will develop into 'super clubs'?

If you don't already have the stadium, the TV rights, the spending power for the best players, etc, you're rapidly approaching being **** out of luck to aim any higher than the Europa League.

Man of Honour
That is with half a season out of position too. If he tried he could be scary good.

I guess that's why a few are annoyed about him, from the point of few of a footy fan there's no worse sin than a player who even seemingly doesn't try.

Lets not forget that a lot of his assists and goals will come when we win heavily.

We seem to be turning into a side that on average, will easily win three out of five times and lose the other two. It's the two latter games where he doesn't bother or just can't play. His return on paper is very good, but an assist or goal every game is far better than two every couple of games (if that makes any sense).

He does waste a few chances as well. He should work his socks off and try to become more clinical, then he deffo will be scary good as you say.

I think Wenger is doing the right thing though - he recognises this, and that him and Rosicky are very similarly, so he seems to rotate them.

Soldato
lfcpoker.png

Something I made with the Rafa haters in mind :p

Man of Honour
Pires is back with Arsenal training away. He was utterly rubbish defensively, but boy did he know how to set up a few goals and get a few himself. All our midfielders bar Cesc (and Song who deliberately should NOT attend) could do with a few sessions.

Soldato
Pires is back with Arsenal training away. He was utterly rubbish defensively, but boy did he know how to set up a few goals and get a few himself. All our midfielders bar Cesc (and Song who deliberately should NOT attend) could do with a few sessions.

I was about to post this. Another Sol Campbell-esque Christmas signing? Maybe let Wenger and Pires bury their bad blood.

Caporegime
OP
LOL at Sullivan! :D

West Ham owner David Sullivan has warned there will be riots in east London if rivals Tottenham move to the Olympic Park stadium after the Games.

Sullivan fears 'civil unrest' due to massive opposition from football fans in the West Ham heartland to Tottenham's proposed relocation.

He said: 'It would be such a slap in the face to east London. If it happens, there will be real problems that could easily lead to civil unrest.

'I think there could be riots, such is the ill feeling between West Ham and Spurs and I know the police feel the same.'

A Tottenham relocation emerged on Tuesday as a strong possibility, with sports and entertainment company AEG, who are partnering Tottenham in their official proposal to the 2012 legacy company, putting their considerable weight behind it.

As well as alienating West Ham, who had talks with AEG before they linked up with Spurs, the plan not to include a running track in the football conversion will infuriate London 2012, who have made repeated pledges that track and field will be a permanent legacy from the Games.

Spurs fans, who have not been consulted on moving from Tottenham High Road, will be exercised further by the transfer to Stratford looking increasingly like the preferred option rather than merely a back-up to the Northumberland Development Project at White Hart Lane.

Sullivan said: 'I feel very let down by Tottenham. The way they do business is not right. They pinched Eidur Gudjohnsen off us after we brought him from Barcelona for talks. He just disappeared from the hotel. And the way they unsettled Scott Parker was appalling.

'Now they want to move into our borough of Newham. How would they like it if we suddenly set up a new home in Haringey. I'm flabbergasted by the cheek of it.'

Both Tottenham and AEG insist that a football stadium doesn't work with a running track.

AEG president Tim Leiweke said: 'We want the venue to be perfect for football for the next 30 years, rather than the odd athletics meeting. Tottenham are a good fit whose supporters can fill a 60,000 stadium, while it would be a bit of a miracle if West Ham are in the top five of the Premier League.'

Leiweke was given the opportunity to make his pitch with Tottenham by the Olympic Park Legacy Company not insisting on a running track being part of the tender process.

And his comment: 'We are selective with our projects and successful' is confirmation that this is no Plan B for Tottenham.

Man of Honour
"Both Tottenham and AEG insist that a football stadium doesn't work with a running track."

My god. So so many teams have got it wrong over the years. For how many years was old Wembley running for?

Tbh, I think both sides should groundshare that stadium. Neither I don't think will fill it to its 'full capacity' every week but costs go down the middle.

Permabanned
My heart says Spurs should remain in Tottenham and help regenerate the economy in their ancestral homeland, my brain thinks that if they move to the Olympic stadium they will become bigger due to superior transport links and not be financially crippled by a £3-400m WHL rebuild.

I'm undecided.

Don
Does anybody know the terms of either West Ham or Spurs moving to the Olympic stadium? It would be interesting to know how much they're going to have to pay to use the stadium and if they'll ever have the option of purchasing it.

Caporegime
OP
My heart says Spurs should remain in Tottenham and help regenerate the economy in their ancestral homeland, my brain thinks that if they move to the Olympic stadium they will become bigger due to superior transport links and not be financially crippled by a £3-400m WHL rebuild.

I'm undecided.

I agree tbh.

Does anybody know the terms of either West Ham or Spurs moving to the Olympic stadium? It would be interesting to know how much they're going to have to pay to use the stadium and if they'll ever have the option of purchasing it.

No idea. The idea that it's our preferred option has only been revealed this week. I'm a bit surprised really.

Permabanned
We are aware that coverage of comments made by AEG yesterday have been interpreted by the media in various ways concerning the Club's position in respect of the Northumberland Development Project and the Olympic Stadium site.

We should like to make two things absolutely clear at this stage: firstly, we have registered an interest in the Olympic Stadium site in order to keep our options open going forward given the early stages we are in with the Northumberland Development Project scheme. This is a very preliminary stage and a Pre Qualification Questionnaire was completed jointly with AEG in order to meet the deadline for registration; Secondly, we continue to progress the application for the Northumberland Development Project with Haringey Council and will continue to do so with a view to achieving full consent.

We have not changed our position and shall not do so without due consideration and consultation.

Thinking about this a bit more, are they just keeping their options open? I think they are doing it to force Haringey Council to bend over and make sure the Northumberland Development Project doesn't face any more issues.

2 years of planning issues > oh we *might* move to the Olympic Stadium = no more planning issues. ;)

Man of Honour
I think you should take it, if you can sustain a Champ's League run and really start filling it on a consistent basis it'd do the club well. It'd vindicate building another stadium, something I'm still not entirely sure we should be doing - especially if it's use afterwards is in doubt.

By all means regenerate White Hart Lane, but there's a cheaper option I think available and that's the most important thing above anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom