The Banter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
No Stekelenberg?

Possibly, you can't doubt his credentials having just got back from a World Cup Final. I don't know much about him at club level apart from he plays for Ajax but then he can't be half bad if he's the Dutch first choice. I wonder how much they would settle for though.

Soldato
Missed this last week but it still made me laugh:

Back Of The Net said:
Wilkinson spares Stoke blushes with last-gasp assault

Right-back Andy Wilkinson struck in the final minute of Stoke’s 2-0 victory against Fulham, as his wild lunge on Moussa Dembele saw the Belgian forward stretchered off in agony, leaving Potters manager Tony Pulis “immensely relieved”.

“This club has a reputation for playing the game a certain way,” Pulis told reporters after the match, “And we work hard to maintain that. For a while tonight it looked like we were going to let Fulham get away scot free, but when it mattered Andy’s stood up, done a little jump, and mashed their lad’s cartilage. I’m very proud of him.”

The shaven-headed Wilkinson told Back Of The Net that he was delighted with his contribution, but the 26-year old was just as keen to pay tribute to his team-mates.

“Sure, it was me this time, but the gaffer’s building a squad full of over-violent ******** who can deliver career-threatening injuries from anywhere on the field,” he said. “You look at the feral ****ends who weren’t even playing today, like Abdoulaye Faye and Michael Tonge, and you know you’re going to have to be at your very worst to get a game here.

“Hopefully my vicious assault in the final seconds of an already-won match in a pointlesss competition will show the gaffer I can do a job against teams like Chelsea and Man United,” continued the lunk-jawed hatchetman. “The dream is to come away from Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford with all three points, someone else’s blood on your shirt, and maybe a few teeth to fashion into a trophy necklace.”

“GRUUUUH,” he added. “STOKE SMASH.”
[EDIT: A link]

I expect many a rolleyes from our Stoke-based posters for this.

Last edited:
Soldato
It was tragic to see the Stoke fans applauding that tackle.

Also, apparently Stoke have never had over 50% possession in any Premier League game, how bewilderingly bad is that, yet very believable

Last edited:
Soldato
Arsenal would never make a bid for him, Atletico need money and have slapped a ridiculous price tag on him, somewhere in the region of £17,000,000. We should make an improved bid for Lloris or use Arshavin's Russian influence to butter up Akinfeev who is highly rated and young.

Considering that he paid around that fee for walcot, he should go for it. It looks like it was a pretty bad call not to sign a new keeper. Who knows what wonders Fabianski has instore for the cl game.

Soldato
\o

I wonder if our reticence to spend is actually more down to the wage bill than the cost of players? We're the third (probably fourth when the next figures come out and Man City climb past us) highest wage spenders in the league, and whilst we're in a good state with respects to turnover, it's still a pretty solid figure, and something I could imagine we'd be wary of pushing up too high. We're currently covered for missing a season out of the CL, but without sitting down with a calculator and working it all out, I don't know by how much.

But it would make sense. Someone like Schwarzer is less likely to stress our wage bill as much as Given/Akifeev/Stekelenburg/etc would.

Soldato
No, Arsenal paid the remainder off early in a one off fee because Southampton were in a dire financial position and needed the cash. A sobering reminder of what a state most of English football is in.

Soldato
Doubt that, but it is shocking what's happening. People seem to genuinely not care about anything beyond what happens on the pitch in most cases. Nobody seems to give any thought to the dire state Chelsea are in, it's ok because they're winning right? :/

Associate
He's not very clever, but I never heard of any 'rumoured' injury problems when he was at Leeds.

Plenty of injury problems, but no 'rumoured' ones.

He was indeed better than Rio at Leeds. Rio was bought as a 3rd choice centre half behind Woody and the Chief.

It was more that injuries were used as excuse why he wasn't playing, rather than his actual problems. I worked in Wetherby at the time and saw him out a few times there and in Harrogate. Other people I worked with sugggested he didn't just enjoy a drink when out and had a fairly large problem. It was probably just gossip but going off the people he hung about with it was certainly believable.

Permabanned
David moyes just drove past me at about 100mph, no seatbelt on, can of strongbow in his hand beeping his horn ..... He'll do anything for 3 points!

Caporegime
OP
Stadium plans approved by council

Tottenham's new stadium plans have been approved by Haringey Council's planning committee.

In what Haringey Council say will be "an overhaul of north Tottenham", the Premier League club will redevelop White Hart Lane in a £400million project.

The new stadium will have a capacity of more than 56,000.

Council leader Claire Kober said: "The Spurs development has the potential to make a huge impact, not just on the success of the football club, but also on the whole of Tottenham - delivering job opportunities, regenerating the area, and boosting the local economy.

"We're proud of Spurs' rich history in Haringey and excited that the club has committed its future to the area.

"We look forward to seeing the development unfold and are confident that it will deliver fantastic improvements to this part of the borough."

A statement from the council said: "The plans will now be referred to English Heritage, the Mayor of London and the Secretary of State for a final decision."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom