• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The better late than never OcUK RTX4070 Super review thread!

Soldato
that just sums up the demand though, back at the 3080 release OCUK sold then oversold 10000 cards on launch day yet only had 200 4070S in stock and they are all pretty much still in stock including the MSRP ones so it shows people are just not interested.

Yes, a perfect storm. A terrible 2000 series range of cards which meant many of those still sitting on the fence with their 1000 series cards were ready for an upgrade, COVID supply shortages and crypto booming.

Suspended
See all this missing material here, where i put the red line, now look at where the crack is.... that missing material is why they are weak in that area and crack, you look at anyone else's PCB it does not cut up like that behind the PCIe tab, its a straight line from where you see the up cut curve on this one across to the tab, and they don't crack.

This look designed in.

jkAXnfn.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
Here...

PS: Youtube are getting a bit silly with their war on Adblockers, even in Chrome now they are blackscreen delaying the video if you have an Adblocker installed, yes this is actual code Youtube are injecting in to the browser.

They are becoming sociopathic narcissist's with this, i have youtube on my TV, i can't run an adblocker on it, the adverts on Youtube make the content unwatchable, its at least 30 seconds, sometime as much as 90 seconds every few minutes, literally no more than every 5 minutes a minute of adverts, you try to watch a long form video of one or two hours with advert interruption's every few minutes, its enough to drive the most mellow people nuts, and again it's deliberate because what they want is for you to pay an extortionate, IMO, £15 per month to make it stop.

The interruptive frequency of ads on Youtube is why people run adblockers, if it was more reasonable no one would care and bother.
And once they have you all agreeing to pay for Youtube then they will have you paying with adverts.

Someone will probably find a way of blocking these scripts, on none Chrome browsers, and i'm quite happy to dump Chrome.

Asus cards as well, especially the 4090, that French Canadian guy who runs a repair shop had a shipment of 19 of them in, gigabyte and Asus.

Associate
Here...

PS: Youtube are getting a bit silly with their war on Adblockers, even in Chrome now they are blackscreen delaying the video if you have an Adblocker installed, yes this is actual code Youtube are injecting in to the browser.

They are becoming sociopathic narcissist's with this, i have youtube on my TV, i can't run an adblocker on it, the adverts on Youtube make the content unwatchable, its at least 30 seconds, sometime as much as 90 seconds every few minutes, literally no more than every 5 minutes a minute of adverts, you try to watch a long form video of one or two hours with advert interruption's every few minutes, its enough to drive the most mellow people nuts, and again it's deliberate because what they want is for you to pay an extortionate, IMO, £15 per month to make it stop.

The interruptive frequency of ads on Youtube is why people run adblockers, if it was more reasonable no one would care and bother.
And once they have you all agreeing to pay for Youtube then they will have you paying with adverts.

Someone will probably find a way of blocking these scripts, on none Chrome browsers, and i'm quite happy to dump Chrome.
Hi mate

I watch quite a bit on stuff on Youtube via Mozilla Firefox. I have Adguard Adblocker installed as an optional add on and I have experienced none of these black screen delays etc as of yet

Hope this helps

Associate
Not posted in a while lads, had some health issues during 2023 after a car accident...

But here is my take on the new 4070 "SUPER".

Firstly, the performance is what the card should have been on release, but for an upper midrange card, it is lacking in VRAM. Bearing that in mind, the performance we should have gotten on release, now coming when the 50xx series is due later in the same year, means its even more sensitive to pricing/specs/value and correct segmentation.

When I think about those facts, the facts the performance should have been there back on release, but lacking VRAM for such a high performance tier of card, it should be priced no more than £450, taking into account the tier of card and the low VRAM allocation given to it, when clearly targeting high frame rate 1440p gaming, while also noting that yes prices have gone up a bit, and inflation is a thing, but NOT that much of a thing, as all my other electronics are fairly similar in price compared to 3-5 years ago.

So, going by that logic, a £450 (underpowered) 4070 with 12GB of ram being OK pricing in 2023, leads me to the conclusion that the same card, with the now correct performance (but really lacking VRAM for 2024....), about a year after release should be no more than around £399.

The final conclusion?.....

The 4070 "SUPER" is a **** deal, its overpriced, underspecifed Nvidia junk, and deserves to rot on shelves until its priced accordingly.

I shall continue to vote with my wallet and will continue to use my gtx 1060 6GB until I see true value.

Perhaps the 50xx series will offer me something that is not taking the ****?, we shall see.

Another lost sale Nvidia, this is 2 generations I have not bought a card from you now, due to poor pricing, low VRAM and no stock on shelves at MSRP.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
There is this for £420, but despite my being a fan of Gigabyte motherboards i'm not a fan of their GPU's, they are the noisiest of the more premium cards due to those fans being the same design as the ones i had on my GTX 970, while that was ok for the time these days they don't really cut it, the fans on my 2020 MSI card are very much quieter.

The PCIe retention tab is also flimsy, Northwest Repair said it looks deliberate to him, it looks like quite a lot of the material has been cut-out to make it weak with a bunch of traces running through that tab area, a couple of years of heat cycling and the weight of the GPU hanging off the PCIe causes the PCB to crack, he's had no end of Gigabyte cards for repair all with cracked PCB's around the tab.

I think the RX7700XT might have to drop a bit more in price,as it's priced high relative to the RX7800XT. If it can drop under £400 it would be a solid if not uninspiring choice under £400. Also would still be quicker than the RTX4060TI.

Suspended
Asus cards as well, especially the 4090, that French Canadian guy who runs a repair shop had a shipment of 19 of them in, gigabyte and Asus.

Good Grief is anything made to a reasonable standard anymore????

Hi mate

I watch quite a bit on stuff on Youtube via Mozilla Firefox. I have Adguard Adblocker installed as an optional add on and I have experienced none of these black screen delays etc as of yet

Hope this helps

It does mate, thank you, i used to run FF for years, looks like i'll be going back...

Soldato
Here...

If your TV is a google Android TV you can use SmartTube to have an add free youtube, I use this on TV instead of Youtube app :-

Last edited:
Suspended
Associate
Here...

Using Adblock or ABP?

Soldato
Associate
Yeah, because one random youtube video said so. Pretty sure all the big tech pages and channels would have picked up on this long ago were it the case. Fact is, nvidia have always been miserly with vram.
Yep I member 768mb, 896mb,1.25gb,1.5gb and famously 3.5gb. Probably missed a few.

Caporegime
Suspended

:cry:

Thinking about it... thing is yes its 15% faster than the vanilla 4070, but also 10% more expensive, so all Nvidia have done, really, is push up the price in line with the performance gain, pretty much, again.

What people were looking for was a better 4070 at 4070 prices, not a GPU that's a bit better but also $50 more expensive, its the $600+ price that people have a problem with, IMO its a $500 GPU, at most, and it seems i'm not alone in that opinion, its why i wont buy one.

Last edited:
Suspended
I haven't actually watched any of the reviews for it, because i don't think my sanity could have sustained them hyper emphasising "its value for money and fantastic features, good job Nvidia kiss kiss kiss"

Am i wrong about that? is it safe to watch any of them?

You can use it on a Amazon Firestick, that's what I do.

Ah.... i do have one of those collecting dust in a draw. thank you, i'll look in to it :)

Back
Top Bottom