The Big WWE Wrestling Thread

Associate
Anyone been watching The Undertaker Last Ride series? Reminds me so much of the film The Wrestler. Looking forward to the next episode and the analysis on that match with Goldberg.

Caporegime
Apparently Lesnar is gone from the company, which i don't see as a bad thing. Phoned in matches with 2 moves over and over and getting paid millions was a total farce. Maybe Vince realised this....seemingly years after everyone else did.

Caporegime
Well this is a new low for the Scumbaggery of Vince:

Vince McMahon issued an edict this past week that talent can no longer "engage with outside third parties," which would presumably include platforms like Cameo and Twitch.

WWE held a call with talent last Sunday regarding the reinvention of the product. During the call, it was said that WWE owns the real names of talent, not just their character names.

McMahon followed up by sending a letter on Thursday. McMahon wrote that it was imperative that they promote and protect the brand in every conceivable way, and that talent have 30 days to stop engaging with third parties.

"Some of you are engaged with outside third parties using your name and likeness in ways that are detrimental to our company," McMahon wrote. "It is imperative that these activities be terminated within the next 30 days (by Friday October 2). Continued violations will result in fines, suspension, or termination at WWE's discretion."

McMahon wrote that these actions are necessary as part of WWE's rebuilding process as they "enter the next phase of growth at WWE."

It will be interesting to see if this is legal in any way. WWE wrestlers are classified as independent contractors, which has been heavily criticized in the past by shows like HBO's Last Week Tonight.

So wwe apparently not only owns the Characters names, but also their real names, yet they're still classed as independent contractors? And because a mad old paper billionaire wasn't getting a cut of what people were doing on their own time he blows a fuse and does this.

The sooner he gets taken to court and this "independent contractor" **** is finally put to bed once and for all the better.

Associate
Well this is a new low for the Scumbaggery of Vince:

So wwe apparently not only owns the Characters names, but also their real names, yet they're still classed as independent contractors? And because a mad old paper billionaire wasn't getting a cut of what people were doing on their own time he blows a fuse and does this.

The sooner he gets taken to court and this "independent contractor" **** is finally put to bed once and for all the better.

This is a genuine reason I no longer follow the product that much. Vince's ego/attitude has really become a forefront during this pandemic.

That and jus the way really good talent are held back. AEW will have all the tools to combat them in a few years.

Soldato
The Undertaker Takes Care of Business While Eating Spicy Wings | Hot Ones

Mark Calaway is the Undertaker—a 7x World Heavyweight Champion (in WWF and WWE), and one of the greatest professional wrestlers of all time. His five-part docuseries ‘The Last Ride’ is currently airing on the WWE Network. On November 22 he'll be giving his "Final Farewell" at ‘Survivor Series,’ the same event where he made his wrestling debut more than 30 years ago. How will Big Evil match up in this rumble with the wings of death? Find out how the trenchcoat-wearing Deadman fares in the Scoville inferno known as Hot Ones while answering questions about his early days performing under the name Commando, backstage locker room beef, the zen of motorcycling, Mike Tyson’s impact on professional wrestling, and how he wants his fans to remember him. Will the Lord of Darkness ascend from hell and survive the hottest hot sauces to ever enter the ring, or will he be buried alive in the chicken bone graveyard? From Death Valley… The Undertaker!

watching it now as I'm posting

Soldato
i'm a huge AEW fan, not read your spoiler but i think i know what/who it was due to another site using a spoiler thumbnail on a story link. i'm loving everything about AEW, the quality of the matches is amazing, as is the fact that you actually get more than 15min of wrestling which is what WWE had just about dropped to when i gave up on them. i like the fact the promos are edgier and more adult too, and generally more entertaining. Jericho and MJF's song and dance was just utterly sublime.

Soldato
i'm a huge AEW fan, not read your spoiler but i think i know what/who it was due to another site using a spoiler thumbnail on a story link. i'm loving everything about AEW, the quality of the matches is amazing, as is the fact that you actually get more than 15min of wrestling which is what WWE had just about dropped to when i gave up on them. i like the fact the promos are edgier and more adult too, and generally more entertaining. Jericho and MJF's song and dance was just utterly sublime.
Yeah, I believe Raw got down to less than 40 minutes of actual wrestling in its 3 hour show during the summer!

Dinner Debonair was amazing! Stupid in all the best ways :D

Do you watch Being The Elite on youtube? John Silver has been immense on that for a few months - good to see him getting more TV time as a result

I'll not give any spoilers for this week, but it's fair to say my head was spinning with it all by the end. Not necessarily the outright best episode of Dynamite (right up there, though) , but definitely the most earth shattering!

Soldato
no, i'm shamefully behind on web stuff - haven't even seen one episode of Dark yet! X-(

about the only thing that annoys me w/ AEW is the PPVs - they gave some away in the US but other countries had to pay for them >:-/ wold love to catch up w/ some but i've still got a chip on my shoulder about that :D

Soldato
If Keith Lee needs more time for in development then surely Nia Jax needs to re-trained from the ground up! Carmella, R-Truth, Becky and Charlotte have all been hurt thanks to Nia not to mention Kira Sane has had to retire early thanks to Jax.

Apparently Vince blew a fuse with state of some of the bigger guys. Makes you wonder what Nia Jax has on ol VKM to avoid getting punished (I'm not going to say affair as I can't imagine Nia being Vince's type)' if she can get away with hurting golden girl Charlotte and Becky the most over star in the company something fishy has to be going on in the background.

Soldato
Devastating news to wake up to :(

Apparently it was a non-covid lung issue.

His last appearance in-ring was a fabulous dog-collar match to lose his TNT title in a rematch with Cody Rhodes. The belief was that he was off TV through injury, maybe something from that brutal match. Ankle, possibly, but AEW had been cagey about talking on it, leading to some concern. Though everyone was more concerned that it might be a family issue, not imagining it would be Brodie himself in a bad way.

He'd been in AEW a short time, but had a big impact, shifting the struggling (to get over) Dark Order faction into overdrive as one of the best parts of Dynamite, and the outright best part of the web series Being The Elite.

I'm sure most wrestling fans are clued up on his WWE work, but in his short time in AEW, aside from that dog-collar match, other highlights in his time in AEW include probably the best match on the card (Stadium Stampede aside) losing to Jon Moxley for the AEW title at Double or Nothing, and steamrollering Cody Rhodes to win the TNT title in about 2 minutes.

The chatter on Twitter from his wrestling peers shows so much praise for him as a person, not just platitudes about him as a performer (which tends to be what you get with the less well liked guys)

He leaves young kids and a wife, sadly. He's a big loss.

Soldato
He was one of more talented 'big man' in the industry, excellent inring worker and great story teller, poorly used by WWE even though his talent was obvious to everyone who watched him. It looked like he would be able to show off his full potential in AEW but now we will never know.

He was only 41 and having just turned 40 myself today it makes you think of your own mortality. 2020 can get stuffed as far as I'm concerned.

RIP Jon/Brodie/Luke.

Caporegime
Hello all.

I was a fan of WWF/WWE from late 2001 until 2004ish. Pretty much the heyday of the company I believe?

Anyway I've been listening to 'Grilling JR' podcast on Spotify and they just launched a Kurt angle one which is 4 shows in. Kurt Angle was one of my favourites back then.

Has anyone else listened to them? Genuinely worried about the guys short term memory. He loses track of what the question was so often I think he's had too many concussions and possibly brain damage/dementia.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom