The "bracket system", or "bracketing system" (as named by myself).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
I'm curious as to why this thread has been allowed to continue this long considering the overwhelming negative reaction to the OP. I'm sure threads of a similar vein have been cut off pretty quickly...

Associate
OP
Do you consider us your friends Angus? I think you've mentioned before you don't have many/any in real life.

No. I consider only a few people to be "friends". The rest fit into two (main) categories: "positive acquaintances", and "negative acquaintances". (I estimate that the members of this forum ["Overclockers UK"] are in the former group [in the majority]).

Angus Higgins

Associate
I'm curious as to why this thread has been allowed to continue this long considering the overwhelming negative reaction to the OP. I'm sure threads of a similar vein have been cut off pretty quickly...

He asked to be allowed to post this earlier.

Soldato
No. I consider only a few people to be "friends". The rest fit into two (main) categories: "positive acquaintances", and "negative acquaintances". (I estimate that the members of this forum ["Overclockers UK"] are in the former group [in the majority]).

Angus Higgins

How do you define a friend? Given your mathmatic attitude surely an emotive description would be hard to make?

Associate
Yes, well done for creating your own bracketing system, it does allow for blatantly obvious information to be stated in the middle of a pretty decent sentence. The system may well come in handy in an instruction manual where the specifics of a certain action or direction are needed, but on an internet forum, it's just pointless.

The system is pretty much the polar opposite of kiddy leet speak, and equally as annoying.

There's actually nothing you can achieve by posting an explanation of your style of writing, people who find it annoying, will still do, people will try to tell you it's pointless, yet you'll still continue to type in that style.

You must understand, your need to try and form more complex and over-descriptive sentences in order to increase your ability to communicate is pretty counter-productive at this level.

Not a personal attack, but a personal question. Don't you sometimes just feel like typing 'lazily', for instance;

"If you don't write in detail, then it's possible for it to be misunderstood"

Instead of;

"If one does not have detail in a communication, it is then possible for a piece of text (for example) to be misunderstood (and thus cause some form of argument [or incorrect discussion {which decreases efficiency}])."

What does your sentence achieve that the other doesn't? Apart from being overly-complex and pretty hard to read with flow?

Edit - Damn typos.

Last edited:

Mat

Mat

Soldato
He asked to be allowed to post this earlier.

I have no problem with that but its not really a conversation or debate of any use is it? It has been covered time and again with exactly the same reaction. I'm not calling for it to be closed, just surprised it hasn't already been.

Soldato
anguseo2.jpg

Associate
OP
How do you define a friend? Given your mathmatic attitude surely an emotive description would be hard to make?

OK, this is a simple system (developed a while ago).

One merely has a scale, from minus infinity to positive infinity. One then allows every person met to be at 0. One then grades the things that the person does, adding a value for good things, and subtracting for bad things. One then can apply a scale to this value, and thus determine the status. (With large groups, one can estimate [using empirical evidence {assuming representation (and a microcosmic nature [if this is understood])}]).

Angus Higgins

Soldato

Angus Higgins

That's a bit ambiguous. Which former group?

It's no more accurate if you tell us once. If I tell you my car is red everytime I ever mention my car to you I don't have to tell you it's red as you already know. If I told you once or a million times you know it's red.

What if someone repaints your car while you're speaking? :confused:

Associate
One of the major hindrances (I believe) of communication (in both verbal, and written forms) is the ambiguity of the content. (How can one understand a text [for example] if it is ambiguous?).

I have developed (and implemented) a system (the “bracket system”, or “bracketing system” [as named by myself]) which can help to combat this (thus bringing much more efficient means of communication).

If the majority of people you communicate with find that reading any content from you in that form is difficult, your system fails at it's main objective. Surely that is enough to stop using it?

Associate
I have no problem with that but its not really a conversation or debate of any use is it? It has been covered time and again with exactly the same reaction. I'm not calling for it to be closed, just surprised it hasn't already been.

I agree that there's not really a debate in it. Some people are going to say he's doing it for attention and some are going to see that it could be down to a deeper problem but it keeps coming up in so many threads that maybe it's better if it's kept in one.

Soldato
OK, this is a simple system (developed a while ago).

One merely has a scale, from minus infinity to positive infinity. One then allows every person met to be at 0. One then grades the things that the person does, adding a value for good things, and subtracting for bad things. One then can apply a scale to this value, and thus determine the status. (With large groups, one can estimate [using empirical evidence {assuming representation (and a microcosmic nature [if this is understood])}]).

Angus Higgins

Do you have a little chart with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom