• Neutral

Votes: 103 26.0%
  • Somewhat dissatisfied

Votes: 79 19.9%
  • Very dissatisfied

Votes: 67 16.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
I'm taking to an individual, as an individual if you don't like the increase, don't pay it.

We all know the vast majority won't quit, regardless of the cost, the government knows that, so they're just raping the cash cow.

So you agree the gov could not find the extra 5bn+ needed if everyone did.

Caporegime
Did you even listen to how much it wasn't raising, or what?

I didn't listen to anything, I read the following from here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17450719

He said the (50%) rate, paid on earnings over £150,000, damaged competitiveness and raised a third of the £3bn expected.

But I seem to recall it was never expected to raise £3bn in year 1. In fact rather shamefully imo the Labour government pre-announced the raise giving time to the wealthy to bring forward their earnings into the 2009/2010 tax year meaning it would only be taxed at 40%.

Associate
If the 50p tax is reduced, to 45p, surely that makes more people on high wages not want to avoid tax?

Labour are really dumb, i wonder what the union leaders are earning afterall :rolleyes:

Soldato
Lol at the Tory's in here thinking our deficit was fine before Labour got into power last time.

Our debt to GDP has remained pretty consistent until the global financial crisis.

If you believe things would have been any different under the Tory's then you are utterly delusional.

The only difference is more money would have gone towards business/the top 1% as opposed to distributed down the food chain - our economy would still be in the mess it's in now.

Soldato
Recent research (which takes into account peripherally related illnesses, sick pay, reduced taxes) indicated that's not the case...

I'd like to see that research. All the reputable sources I've ever compared agree that the duty paid far outstrips additional costs incurred (note: additional, not the base cost per person that's regardless of whether you're a smoker or not). Factoring in lower life expectany and all that entails is just further saving in heathcare alone.

Soldato
If the 50p tax is reduced, to 45p, surely that makes more people on high wages not want to avoid tax?
People will always try to avoid paying tax (at any wage) regardless of what the tax rate is.

The solution isn't reducing the tax rate, it's closing the loopholes & simplifying the tax system so it isn't so open to "creative accounting".

No he doesn't. He just needs to come out with a set of actions that will sort out the economic mess and get Britain growing again. Instead, he just sits there and tries to win points without actually saying anything or offering any value.
I have to agree here, Labour should be leading my a massive majority - but as politics is a popularity contest - having a leader who looks a cast member of Wallace & Gromitt isn't a great idea.

Soldato
And undecided on fuel tax, on the one hand everything uses fuel and it's stupidly expensive. On the other hand nearly everyone can cut their mileage down. Perhaps we need to learn to walk to the local shop a mile away.

Large parts of the motoring industry are really struggling at the moment, less cars on the road puts 10,000's out of jobs.

Back
Top Bottom