*** The Car Cleaning Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there

I want some Collinite 845.

Ive seen some sites sell kits with application pad and a micro fibre cloth.

Can you let me know which websites are the best to be looking at?

put fk1000p on the car lastnight as prep for not being bothered to wash it as much when its cold

should i put something else over the top ? would doing that remove some of the fk1000p's longevity ? would it look better ? would it be a waste of time ?

yeah. i am lazy, dont particularly enjoy cleaning cars and most importantly my BMW seems to have really soft paint

where ive put hard wax on it before i honestly think i marked the paint trying to remove it

i dont like having to put so much force onto the paint when removing it

which wax did you use and are you sure you left it to dry/cure long enough ?

ive tried a few now and unless its a hot day they have wiped off with ease

you shouldnt really be able to mark paint with a soft cloth and a wax anyway , both are much much softer than the paint is

saying that though my paints hard as rock , i got sick of the liquidy type wax's not lasting long enough

i used an old school tin of turtle wax hard wax

i made sure to apply it really thin/evenly. the finish was visually really nice but i just wasnt keen on having to buff that hard.

DSC_1038.JPG

DSC_1039.JPG

what would you recommend? my priorities are ease of use and durability

I'm trying out Collinite 845 for the first time today. I'm going to start by putting the bottle in some water to soften the stuff up first as Collinite state to do in the instructions.

They also say to apply thinly. How thin are we talking here? I'll be using a Meguiars sponge applicator to apply, so just a few drops? It then says allow to haze. So will the swipe test come in handy?

On the mobile at the moment so it's a bit time consuming to research myself...don't think I missed it in the OP.

How much roughly is the set of car cleaning products likely to cost from the OP? Lookin to give my car a nice clean before the winter, wax and all that. So gloves, cloths, wax, clay etc. Dont need an exact price, just a rough idea. Also guessing much cheaper to go online rather than halfords?

On the mobile at the moment so it's a bit time consuming to research myself...don't think I missed it in the OP.

How much roughly is the set of car cleaning products likely to cost from the OP? Lookin to give my car a nice clean before the winter, wax and all that. So gloves, cloths, wax, clay etc. Dont need an exact price, just a rough idea. Also guessing much cheaper to go online rather than halfords?

From scratch (if you have nothing) a decent set of gear will be £120-130.

I spent £100, but already had SRP and Shampoo.

That was:

3 x Microfibres
1 x Drying Towel
Wax
Applicator pads (foam)
Applicator pads (microfibre)
Sonus pads
Clay
Clay Lube
Chemical Guys Wet Mirror Finish
Megs Wash Mitt (BEAR CLAW!)

Grab some micro and don't use chammy, I'm glad I switched from chammy to towels... easier to dry and left no marring.

Think of it as spreading the cost... £120 of gear yes, but if you wash the towels and care for the pads they'll last ages.

Could be looking at what... dozens of washes for that cost. Say you get 30 washes out of the product (not like you'll clay the car every time) you're looking at £4 a wash.

it looks like loads of people in this thread use collinite waxes.

how much of a pain are the hard waxes and how much easier is 845?

I used 476 on a semi-hot day... as long as you don't let it cure for 10+ minutes it's very easy to remove. If you over-cure it, you will know as your arms will want to fall off.

its got that on.. unless its AG something else ive got. too 'matte' or maybe im doing something wrong

maybe im asking too much for such aged seals

8 year old Xtrail alloys

Been busy today on my one day off this week....

+0815 start :) Take wheels off to do a decent job

+Apply citrus based cleaner/ degreaser to wheels and tyres with soft brush and detail brush

+Work any marks, tarspots and kerbed areas with the cleaner and very lightly where necessary with 0000 steel wool.....steel wool worked a treat (liberon 0000) is really fine I use it on antiques and know used carefully won't damage.

+Apply lightly one coat Colinite 476 to alloys wait to dry to haze and buff off

+Apply one coat Meguires Endurance tyre gel to tyres lightly with sponge (avoid excess)

+Take pics :thumbs: ......

img2060qb.jpg

img2059ig.jpg

img2076ia.jpg

img2064km.jpg

Very happy with results on 8 year old alloys.....was initially looking to get re-furbed!:eek:......wish I'd done this when I first purchased the xtrail 3years ago.

The srp alone is holding up well on the xtrail bodywork since two months a go but I intend to re-do but the srp but with the colinite as a top coat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom