Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
anyone used their "dirt blaster" attachment on their karcher? I've used it a couple of times now and it does clean off so much more dirt compared to the standard lance. I know some people say that it will strip paint etc but I've tried it on my old and tired '94 eunos and it was fine..

Don
Are there any off the shelf Solutions to stone chips, or will I have to go down the respray route?

If you want to Diy you can try something like:
https://www.chipex.co.uk/shop/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg_HNl4et2gIVq7DtCh21kg6tEAAYASAAEgKv4PD_BwE

which is supposed to be a decent improvement on the standard touch up pens.

Alternatively chips away mobile body repair solutions are cheaper then full bodyshop respray, and normally give good solution - just depends how many chips there are, what your budget is, and what your long term plans for the car are (e.g. you can almost guarantee soon after getting a bonnet resprayed that you end up with another stone chip :D)

Associate
If you want to Diy you can try something like:
https://www.chipex.co.uk/shop/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg_HNl4et2gIVq7DtCh21kg6tEAAYASAAEgKv4PD_BwE

which is supposed to be a decent improvement on the standard touch up pens.

Alternatively chips away mobile body repair solutions are cheaper then full bodyshop respray, and normally give good solution - just depends how many chips there are, what your budget is, and what your long term plans for the car are (e.g. you can almost guarantee soon after getting a bonnet resprayed that you end up with another stone chip :D)
Thanks! I’ll see how much Chips Away would cost, and go from there. That Chipex stuff looks pretty good, too - might get some of that anyway - what’s the worst that could happen!

I’ve only just got the car, so before I start farting about with cleaning/waxing etc, figured I should get the paint up to scratch first - if you’ll pardon the pun. :D

Soldato
anyone used their "dirt blaster" attachment on their karcher? I've used it a couple of times now and it does clean off so much more dirt compared to the standard lance. I know some people say that it will strip paint etc but I've tried it on my old and tired '94 eunos and it was fine..
What does the standard one look like?

I only ever used the dirt blaster for cleaning the driveway :D

Soldato
Hi all, what's a recommended wax to apply over AG EGP?
I thought the point of EGP was that it was an alternative to wax? I thought you use EGP or wax to finish, not both.

From Autoglym site:

Q: Is Extra Gloss Protection a polish?
A: Extra Gloss Protection is not a polish, it is a liquid wax. It will not remove or improve the appearance of scratches, swirls or dull paint. If your paint has these problems use Super Resin Polish first, then seal in and protect the surface with Extra Gloss Protection after.

Q: Can I use High Definition Wax after applying Extra Gloss Protection?
A: If you use Extra Gloss Protection then you don't need to use High Definition Wax as well.

Soldato
Any paint gurus here?

Getting a bonnet respray on my M135i at the end of the month and was wondering how long after it being painted would be a safe bet to get it ceramic coated? I'm going to ask the bodyshop but it'd be good to have more info in case they're useless!

Caporegime
I thought the point of EGP was that it was an alternative to wax? I thought you use EGP or wax to finish, not both.

From Autoglym site:

Q: Is Extra Gloss Protection a polish?
A: Extra Gloss Protection is not a polish, it is a liquid wax. It will not remove or improve the appearance of scratches, swirls or dull paint. If your paint has these problems use Super Resin Polish first, then seal in and protect the surface with Extra Gloss Protection after.

Q: Can I use High Definition Wax after applying Extra Gloss Protection?
A: If you use Extra Gloss Protection then you don't need to use High Definition Wax as well.

Thanks for this. EGP is more of a sealant than a wax, apparently, so whilst it may not be necessary to apply a pure wax on top of EGP, I made the mistake of reading detailing world forums and a lot of people were saying that a wax on top of a sealant helps to protect the products underneath for longer and deepen the colour etc.

However since I already have EGP but don't yet have a pure wax, I think I'll stick to my plan of:

Foam
Wash
Clay
SRP
EGP x 2

...and see how it looks.

It just feels a bit 'classic' / old school using old AG products, when there are new-fangled 'high tech' products from poorboys etc. out there now. But I guess that's what the marketing people want you to think!

Soldato
Any paint gurus here?

Getting a bonnet respray on my M135i at the end of the month and was wondering how long after it being painted would be a safe bet to get it ceramic coated? I'm going to ask the bodyshop but it'd be good to have more info in case they're useless!

Talk to your bodyshop. I got my bonnet resprayed and they put a coat of wax on it prior to collection as reported I could seal it whenever I wanted. It all depends on what paint they use, and both their spraying and curing process. A lot of people will state some 3 month general rule, but that simply isn't the case.

@Participant, SRP and EGP are two of the better products out there and EGP is still a very good sealant. Not as long lasting as ceramics and the like, but then it isn't designed to compete with them either. I've used them for two years and I prefer them to many other sealants, including this threads new baby CarPlan Super Gloss No1, which left me underwhelmed from a gloss pov.

Don
Soldato
Yes it's usually sealant then wax or just either of them.

Personally I don't use either because I'm lazy. What I use is Sonax BSD which is a quick detailer but due to its properties can be used as a wax topup or in my case as a wax ;)

Double speed wax should do the trick though :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I used to use Megs Ultimate Wax but I've been using Gyeon Bathe+ shampoo recently and it was still all beading up like it had just been waxed over a month later. I don't think I'll bother waxing/sealing it again unless I'm bored.

Soldato
I used to use Megs Ultimate Wax but I've been using Gyeon Bathe+ shampoo recently and it was still all beading up like it had just been waxed over a month later. I don't think I'll bother waxing/sealing it again unless I'm bored.
Personally not a fan of wash and wax shampoos. I havent used that one but from previous experience you don't want to get any on the windscreen unless you like smearing.

Also prefer the flexibility of a spray wax or quick detailer as they can be used as a drying aid too.

Soldato
Personally not a fan of wash and wax shampoos. I havent used that one but from previous experience you don't want to get any on the windscreen unless you like smearing.

Also prefer the flexibility of a spray wax or quick detailer as they can be used as a drying aid too.
Yeah smearing is a problem, just have to avoid the windscreen with it.

I wasn't expecting it to be any good but the finish is really nice. It's a pain if it dries on the paint too as it leaves marks so I can't see me using it much over the summer. I might have to get a spray wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom