The Cloverfield Paradox (third Cloverfield film) launches on Netflix: NOW LIVE

Soldato
The second film was definitely better than this one. Largely thanks to Jon Goodman's performance. But this one is by no means terrible if you just take it as it is.

I too really enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane, but I don't know how else to take it other than at face value; a naff sci-fi with a boring plot and uninteresting characters that's had the Cloverfield name tacked on to in an attempt to claw some money back. I'm all for straightforward, uncomplicated sci-fi if the storyline and characters are at least compelling, or the action is good, or there's something - anything - to make it worthwhile. About the only positive I can come up with is that the set design was very good, to the point that it almost felt out of place given the other aspects of the film.

It's a shame really because if it had been good the whole process of announcing, advertising and releasing it all at the same time might have given the entire industry cause to rethink how movies are marketed and released, but that's now two big Netflix movie releases in as many months that haven't lived up to expectations.

Soldato
I too really enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane, but I don't know how else to take it other than at face value; a naff sci-fi with a boring plot and uninteresting characters that's had the Cloverfield name tacked on to in an attempt to claw some money back. I'm all for straightforward, uncomplicated sci-fi if the storyline and characters are at least compelling, or the action is good, or there's something - anything - to make it worthwhile. About the only positive I can come up with is that the set design was very good, to the point that it almost felt out of place given the other aspects of the film.

i'm curious, how did you end up "really enjoying" it, when that sounds like you thought it had nothing going for it apart from sets, and thought it was "naff" and "boring"?

Caporegime
they could have had ships from independance day at the end or the marsh mallow guy from ghost busters, virtually anything even and claim it was tied in to xxx movie.

maybe david hasslehoff on a beach in baywatch uniform or borat in a mankini

Soldato
You're not wrong, Arknor. They've given themselves just about total freedom to rope in anything and claim it's part of the Cloverfield cinematic universe (the CCU?). Who knows, in Part 5 we might get a film in which Luke Skywalker isn't sad, Leia isn't an insta-Jedi and no-one gives a **** about space-ponies. It's just as valid.

Oh wow! I've just realised the staggering immensity of the vision for the CCU. That petition to scrap Ep8 has been realised and CCU4 will be the reworked Ep8. Mind = blown!
;)

Caporegime
they could have had ships from independance day at the end or the marsh mallow guy from ghost busters, virtually anything even and claim it was tied in to xxx movie.

maybe david hasslehoff on a beach in baywatch uniform or borat in a mankini

They're pretty much screwing people over, taking random movies and retrofitting some kind of vague cloverfield reference to them after the fact. Seems that's easier to do than actually make a proper sequel.

Caporegime
OP
Well the fourth film is going to take place during the D Day landings.....

I watched the first one again the other day, and I still love that film.

I would love them to do something again like that with a crazy marketing strategy and such and clever.

Back
Top Bottom