* The Comic Book and Graphic Novel thread *

Associate
Guys question from a batman noob. Is the dark knight and batman the same timeline and any events happening in one effect the other or are there multiple versions of batman and you can read one and forget the rest?

Yes

:D

If you're talking the new 52 series, all the Batman books (Detective Comics / Batman and Robin / Dark Knight / etc) are independent (ish) of each other, but all occur in the same timeline (ish), so events that happen in one do affect the others. If something big happens, they'll normally mention it across the other books :D

All the series run independently, except - Batman (Scott Snyder) is clearly the lead book, so other books may cross into those stories for a couple of issues.

Saying that, Batman is easily the best series, so you should read that anyway

Soldato
So it's basically batman doing different things at different times. By that I mean one night he's batman, next night he's the DK and if he lost an arm being DK he would be armless in them all?

I just find it a little strange telling the story in 3 different titles :p

And yes, new 52.

Associate
So it's basically batman doing different things at different times. By that I mean one night he's batman, next night he's the DK and if he lost an arm being DK he would be armless in them all?

I just find it a little strange telling the story in 3 different titles :p

And yes, new 52.

Don't get too caught up in the order of individual issues :D. They all take place around the same time, not at exactly the same time.

But yes, if he lost an arm in one, he would be one-armed in all of them.

They have lots of different titles because they basically can't find a writer and artist who can churn out an issue a week - so multiple titles, all with their own writer/artist and different feel. They often have different supporting casts as well.

You get used to it ;)

Man of Honour
They tend to cross over at the same time. So for Death of the Family, there was a main batman storyline that the other comics branched out (these were collated in the aforementioned Joker book of the same name). A word of warning though, if there is a cross-over story arc with different writers and artists, expect wildly fluctuating quality.

Soldato
image.jpg

We'll see if I like comics I guess....

Soldato
Let us know how it is. It could be worth a pick up in the future.

I've got these two being delivered this week:

Batman Beyond 2.0 Rewired TP

I've already read it but it's an excellent story and look forward to the future issues!

The Wake
Really looking forward to this, I haven't read anything but I'm a big fan of Snyder

Associate
Cheers, that clears it up! One last question, if they do a crossover event (I assume they do like marvel) is there then only one batman arc or still multiple?

For example:

Night of the Owls contains all the crossover issues from other comics that ran alongside Batman: City of Owls
Nightwing #8-9
All-Star Western #9
Catwoman #9
Batgirl #9
Batman: Dark Knight #9
Batman and Robin #9
Birds of Prey #9
Red Hood and the Outlaws #9

So all those issues (some of which contain Batman) occur during the City of Owls storyline. As Nitefly says, quality varies wildly and you're really not missing anything.

It does mean if you collect one of the other books but don't follow Batman, you may randomly get one issue that doesn't really fit with the rest.

Man of Honour
Just read new 52 Batman volume 5... Easily the weakest of the set so far. The most interesting bit was the Gordon flashbacks. The showdown just seemed rushed and non-sensical.

Meanwhile, the black mirror was awesome, definitely recommended.

Soldato
So, I started Gordon of Gotham. Was ok, interesting, certainly not as 'pretty' as I was expecting.
I fed that back to a pal who loves a comic and today he brought in 'Civil War'.
I must say, I really enjoyed it! A bit hectic, I didn't really know who was who or what they could all do etc, but good story, grown up narrative, good fun.

I'll finish Gordon of Gotham now, but I think I'm going for Hush next.

Turns out comics are ok! I think I need to choose carefully. Same pal offered to lend me 'Judge Dread vs Alien' next, I've already told him 'no thanks', it looks like nonsense!!

Soldato
Can anyone recommend me some graphic novels to read?

I am open minded to most things. I have read the first compendium of the walking dead, Batman Year One, Arkam Asylum, Dark Knight Returns and Killing Joke. As you can tell it is very limited. Id prefer compendiums or collections as I just find them easier to read.

I was tempted to try the Deadpool compendium next

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=479091033&pf_rd_i=274081

Or even the walking dead compendium 2.

Associate
Chris [BEANS];27240079 said:
I'll finish Gordon of Gotham now, but I think I'm going for Hush next.

Turns out comics are ok! I think I need to choose carefully. Same pal offered to lend me 'Judge Dread vs Alien' next, I've already told him 'no thanks', it looks like nonsense!!

Your instinct was correct, Judge Dredd vs Aliens is utter gibberish :D

Hush is excellent, but read/wiki Death in the Family first. It comes up.

Can anyone recommend me some graphic novels to read?

I am open minded to most things. I have read the first compendium of the walking dead, Batman Year One, Arkam Asylum, Dark Knight Returns and Killing Joke. As you can tell it is very limited. Id prefer compendiums or collections as I just find them easier to read.

Sandman (you should stop here and read that before anything else ;))
100 Bullets
Kingdom Come
Marvels
Fables

Should keep you going for a week or two :D

Back
Top Bottom