* The Comic Book and Graphic Novel thread *

Associate
Had these two volumes on the shelf for a long time but finally getting around to reading Dial H for Hero in the DC new 52.

Never read any Dial H but when I saw China Mieville was writing it I grabbed them. Enjoying it so far, something different from the usual super hero stuff which constantly gets rebooted and the same story is told over and over!

I stopped reading the mainstream characters etc due to the issue above, they run for a year or so, reboot with new writers/teams and then tell the same stories over again.

After I have read these I have Hip Hop Family Tree volume 3 to read and then I am tempted to make a start on re-reading all 10 volumes of Transmetropolitan. (Only if I get through the backlog of 2000AD progs that have built up over the last few months)

Last edited:
Soldato
Got a bit carried away and ordered the entire Hellraiser TPB range by Boom studios. I've only read book 1 but it's excellent, such a great twist on pinheads story. Only 8 more to go. :)

Soldato
Just been reminded why I hate comics at times.

Thoroughly enjoying the new 52, not a perfect entry point but an entry point all the same the stories ticking along nicely and I find out they are relaunching it all again with new authors/inkers and the rest. I hate how persistent series like this just keep getting reset and rarely develop anywhere and just keep grimacing things :mad:

Half tempted to drop it all now but thoroughly enjoying Snyders run on Bat and the likes of Red Hood and the rest are great tie ins.

Soldato
Sorry if it's been asked and discussed already but need some help. I want a tablet for the prime purpose of reading comics/graphic novels, nothing extra needed.

Did a little googling and general consensus to get the "full page" feel you need 9 inch'ish or above? I don't like panel by panel reading in some apps. I can't undo 30 years of reading comics and the way I like it.

Android/Windows preferably as it's simply what i'm used to, sub £150 price although i'd push up to £200. I will be selling a chunk of graphic novels to pay for it and estimate that's roughly what i'd make.

Open to any suggestions, branding doesn't bother me, cheaper the better, would rarely take it out of the house tbh.

Last edited:
Soldato
What are the most serious Graphic novels you guys have read?

I have read a few in my time but often they come off as a it simplistic and cheesy for my taste. Only Watchmen and V for Vendetta have had a bit more of a serious tone. Is there a graphic novel equivalent of the film HEAT out there? Or some crime stuff with really interesting mystery based stories?

Associate

I have read a few in my time but often they come off as a it simplistic and cheesy for my taste. Only Watchmen and V for Vendetta have had a bit more of a serious tone. Is there a graphic novel equivalent of the film HEAT out there? Or some crime stuff with really interesting mystery based stories?

Preacher is a well regarded book. Much more mature and dark than your standard books. Actually check out DC's Vertigo imprint for more mature options. Sandman is incredible, Transmetropolitan is highly praised, Fables, Y: The Last Man, Unknown Soldier, The Unwritten, Hellblazer (a true classic) and Lucifer too. If you are into crime/conspiracy then 100 Bullets is also amazing (at least for the first 40 to 50 issues). If you want mature super-heroics, definitely check out the first few volumes of "The Authority", and Invincible. Sin City is a very good noir comic and I have heard a lot of praise for Jinx too. Generally a good rule of thumb is to find a writer you like and try some of their other work - so yes Alan Moore for your mentioned choices...I tried Top 10 and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and Top 10 was decent enough.

Individual writer/artists even on the mainstream comics have often elevated the team/character for years to come. Think Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, but Joss Whedon on Astonishing X-Men was great, as was Grant Morrison's run on New X-Men and Rick Remender on Uncanny X-Force. There are tonnes of examples in the mainstream though.

It has been a long time since I seriously followed comics so not up to the more recent titles (yet).

Associate
Sorry if it's been asked and discussed already but need some help. I want a tablet for the prime purpose of reading comics/graphic novels, nothing extra needed.

Did a little googling and general consensus to get the "full page" feel you need 9 inch'ish or above? I don't like panel by panel reading in some apps. I can't undo 30 years of reading comics and the way I like it.

Yes. Categorically, without a shadow of a doubt YES, you need a 9inch plus screen. I also refused to undo 30 years of comic reading, decent eyesight is for the young :D

Random Guy has listed some really great stuff above - to add to that, if you want crime, DC Comics have a Vertigo Crime imprint - Amazon has plenty

Soldato
Only Watchmen and V for Vendetta have had a bit more of a serious tone. Is there a graphic novel equivalent of the film HEAT out there? Or some crime stuff with really interesting mystery based stories?

You could give something by Ed Brubaker a try.

I also just read a murder mystery/police procedural called The Fuse. Was set on a space station tho...

Associate

Android/Windows preferably as it's simply what i'm used to, sub £150 price although i'd push up to £200. I will be selling a chunk of graphic novels to pay for it and estimate that's roughly what i'd make.

Open to any suggestions, branding doesn't bother me, cheaper the better, would rarely take it out of the house tbh.

I use a samsung galaxy tab pro 10" from the bay. the screen is awesome.
mine was 200 sheets but im sure you could get a good one cheaper , though not by much.
bang a 64Gb sd card and you're laughing.

Soldato
Finished fables a couple days ago, took a while but I loved it thought it was great. Made a start on The Boys, seems if possible a bit more nastier and vulgar than fables.
Just bought the 3 volumes of superman earth one on comixology they are on offer.

Last edited:
Associate
Finished fables a couple days ago, took a while but I loved it thought it was great. Made a start on The Boys, seems if possible a bit more nastier and vulgar than fables.
Just bought the 3 volumes of superman earth one on comixology they are on offer.

The Boys is brilliant one of my all time favourites. Its definitely vulgar and nasty, can't compare it to Fables as I haven't got round to reading those yet but I highly recommend it, big fan of Garth Ennis's work.

Associate
New Digital Comic Book Bundle

Boom Studios 10th Anniversary Bundle available on Humble Bundle for the next 2 weeks.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Customers can pay what they want for

Irredeemable Vol. 1 - 2
Bee and Puppycat Vol. 1
Steed and Mrs. Peel: A Very Civil Armageddon Vol. 1
RoboCop Vol. 1
Sons of Anarchy Vol. 1
Bravest Warriors Vol. 1 + 2
Bill & Ted’s Most Triumphant Return #1 - 6
Hacktivist Vol. 1
Lumberjanes Vol. 1
Clive Barker's Hellraiser Masterpieces Vol. 1.

Those who pay more than the average price

Steed and Mrs. Peel: We’re Needed #1 - 3
Steed and Mrs. Peel Vol. 2 - 3
RoboCop Vol. 2 + 3
Sons of Anarchy Vol. 2 + 3
Bravest Warriors Vol. 3 - 5
Hacktivist Vol. 2
Clive Barker's Hellraiser Masterpieces Vol. 2
Bee and Puppycat #5 - 9
RoboCop: Dead or Alive Vol. 1
Lumberjanes Vol. 2.

Customers who pay $15 or more
RoboCop: Dead or Alive #5 - 12
RoboCop: The Human Element
Sons of Anarchy #15 - 25
Irredeemable Vol. 3 - 7
Bravest Warriors #21 - 36,
Lumberjanes #9 - 20
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep Omnibus (#1 - 24).

Last edited:
Soldato
Marvel Unlimited Subscription

Hi everyone

Just wondered if anyone makes use of the Marvel unlimited service? About £60 for their back catalogue (virtually anything up to the last six months, they keep those offline for comic sales).

When I last read about it there were problems with the service such as:

Issues missing in the middle of series
The Android app not loading comics properly
The Android app crashing

Basically, it was in the early days, but that was about a year ago...anyone make use of it now and fancy giving some feedback?

I'd also be interested to know, does it help you in following storylines and where to start.

For example, if you want to follow a character who may pop up in other books/stories (thinking of Jessica Jones), does it offer any help in that regard or is it just up to the reader?

Thanks!

Soldato
MU have a free month at the moment, sign up and give it a try.

I've used it for the first time since getting a tablet a few days back. Really impressed with it. Just wish DC would do something similar, the writing for DC is leagues ahead of Marvel.

There are suggestions of runs to read, currently doing civil war in the suggested order, so much better than jumping trade to trade.

Soldato
AH HA! Thank you very much, I didn't realise there was a free trial on! :D

I'll sign up for that with the missus account and then if I like it I'll give it a go with my account. Hotukdeals seems to have some discount codes for them at the moment which should knock 20% off the annual price, hopefully that'll still work!

Ah, I know what you mean. I have loads of TPBs, all from the Ultimate era (I bought a few on sale as the art caught my eye)...I now have a ton of TPBs from the ultimate era...FF, X-Men, Spiderman et al, but they do skip about and I'd just like to be able to read a complete set of something...I still don't think I've finished the Civil War storyline!

I'll try and set it up later, I've been reading that it does per panel reading, I've got a 12.2" Samsung tablet, so hopefully it'll support full page reading without zooming in to a panel, I would find that too irritating I think.

Soldato
My tablet is 10.1 and it fits nearly perfect for a full page, you'll have no issues with yours. You have the choice of which way to read, full page or PBP

The panel by panel reading does come in handy when you have a double page spread, that's about it though.

Back
Top Bottom