* The Comic Book and Graphic Novel thread *

Permabanned
Replying to the thread in general....

Latest Mr Miracle is one of the best reads Ive had in years. American Vampire, anything by Grant Morrison (several Batman series) and the Magic Order for already wrapped up runs.

East of West, Evolution, Gideon falls and lucifer are new and on going and well worth picking up as well.

Associate
Just finished:

FztqQSA.jpg

"A group of wildcat planetary prospectors plant their flag on a distant new world, rich in land, resources . . .and the greatest archaeological discovery in history, an ancient complex of impossible proportions carved deep within the living rock, a mind-numbing labyrinth of passages, ramps, bridges, and galleries that seems to extend limitlessly. But as the exploration of the leviathan dead city proceeds deeper and deeper, the members of the team slowly begin to lose their grip on reality, and madness gives way to fear as the explorers begin to disappear. Something else lives within the necropolis, a faceless horror as deadly and merciless as space itself, a lethal terror that has waited centuries to awake - and destroy"

Nice art, shame about the rest! Maybe I'm being a little harsh; the story wasn't that bad -- it was just lacking.

Associate
Thread revival time....

I've recently finished the following:

• Locke and Key
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles / Ghostbusters :D
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles / Ghostbusters 2 :D:D
  • Batman / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :D:D:D
Locke and Key was fantastic. Definitely one of the best comic book series I've ever read. The art and writing are both outstanding!

The other 3 were all great fun. Stupidly silly, but fun nonetheless.:p

If you enjoyed the Turtles/Ghostbusters crossovers, you might enjoy Infestation and Infestation 2. And the Star Trek/Doctor Who Assimilation series is great as well.

Latest Mr Miracle is one of the best reads Ive had in years. .

I've just ordered this, heard amazing things - Tom King is a staggering writer. If you haven't read his limited series Vision, you definitely should.

Associate
I've been reading the alternative Alien 3 series based on William Gibsons script, it's a refreshing read compared to a lot of the recent DH aliens material.

Nice. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

If you enjoyed the Turtles/Ghostbusters crossovers, you might enjoy Infestation and Infestation 2. And the Star Trek/Doctor Who Assimilation series is great as well.

Thanks. I'll check them all out.

Commissario
I've been reading the alternative Alien 3 series based on William Gibsons script, it's a refreshing read compared to a lot of the recent DH aliens material.
I read those the other day and I would have loved to have seen it on film, which I think is something I said years ago when the script leaked online (I vaguely remember reading at least two or three alternate alien 3 scripts over a weekend, including the "monks in space" one that was reasonably close to what they finally made).

I've got a bunch of GN's to read at some point, but rarely have the time, or haven't got my tablet handy when I do have the time.

Soldato
Oh it is! I’m on the very last book myself. Absolutely superb story and art.

On a similar vein, check out Lone Wolf and Cub. Absolutely sublime stuff and a real insight into Japanese history and culture.

Soldato
@Sean34 @Werewolf Comixology have got loads of Alien stuff on sale right now in preparation for Alien Day, good chance to pick up bits and pieces you might have missed.

I can very highly recommend Aliens Defiance, in the top 5 Aliens series i've read.

Associate
Aliens Defiance was excellent. ZpZ0JQX.gif

I've been reading 'The Boys'. Wow. Some of the images are still stuck in my mind.:eek::D I can't wait to get back to it!

I'm planning on reading more Batman. I haven't read most of the classics -- only 'Year One'.

'The Long Halloween' & 'Dark Victory' will be my next reads.

Soldato
I really enjoyed the Boys. I binged it in a few weeks. Great story I love the build up the twists and the great satire on the military industrial complex.

I really want to read Uber which strikes me as having a similar premise but a wholly different theme.

Associate
I'm definitely more a a digital reader nowadays, but I decided to order a physical TPB.

It just showed up:

0t3Ska1.png

I'm looking forward to reading it for the first time.

Last edited:
Associate
'The Long Halloween' was superb. It instantly became one of my favourites.

Aside from that, I've recently finished the following:
  • Batman - Gotham By Gaslight
  • Planet Hulk / World War Hulk
  • Aliens 30th Anniversary
  • Aliens Human Condition
  • Aliens Dust to Dust
Planet Hulk / Aliens 30th were both excellent. Definitely some of the best comics I've read so far. I'm still reading 'The Boys' -- currently on issue 20. I'll wait until I've read all the issues before checking out the show.

What's everyone reading?

Soldato
I’ve found that anything from the Humanoids stable is very much worth reading. Sanctum Redux is a personal favourite as is The Final Incal.
Death Sentence by Monty Nero has been great. The third book is still in comic form via Kickstarter.
Paper Girls by Brian K Vaughn is a superb read as is Saga. However, they both have a bit to go before the finale if that bothers you.
I also recently re-read America by John Wagner, the definitive non Dredd, Dredd story.

Associate
Recently read:
Monstress book 1 - story has potential, but holy cow, easily one of the most beautifully drawn books ever - would be a great palate cleanser after the Hack/Slash debacle @No1newts :D
Scalped book 1 - basically if Breaking Bad and Justified had a baby and raised it on an Indian reservation. Definitely one I'll be carrying on with
Harrow County - just finished the series, excellent horror comic
Star Trek/Green Lantern: The Spectrum War - way more entertaining than it had any right to be, will definitely read the sequel

Currently (re)reading:
Earth X / Universe X / Paradise X - absolutely love this series. It's basically Marvel's version of Kingdom Come, just not as pretty (but still with stunning Alex Ross covers).

Up next:
Mister Miracle - heard great things and Tom King can do no wrong, so I figure this should be a winner
Northlands - Vertigo does vikings. Can't see how that could possibly be bad
Black Eyed Kids - was recommended in an "If you liked Harrow County then try..." list, so I will

Soldato
Recently read:
Monstress book 1 - story has potential, but holy cow, easily one of the most beautifully drawn books ever - would be a great palate cleanser after the Hack/Slash debacle @No1newts :D
Scalped book 1 - basically if Breaking Bad and Justified had a baby and raised it on an Indian reservation. Definitely one I'll be carrying on with
Harrow County - just finished the series, excellent horror comic
Star Trek/Green Lantern: The Spectrum War - way more entertaining than it had any right to be, will definitely read the sequel

Currently (re)reading:
Earth X / Universe X / Paradise X - absolutely love this series. It's basically Marvel's version of Kingdom Come, just not as pretty (but still with stunning Alex Ross covers).

Up next:
Mister Miracle - heard great things and Tom King can do no wrong, so I figure this should be a winner
Northlands - Vertigo does vikings. Can't see how that could possibly be bad
Black Eyed Kids - was recommended in an "If you liked Harrow County then try..." list, so I will

That actually looks really good, cheers. Looking for a new comic for my wife to read and enjoy and we might both enjoy that. She's read (and enjoyed) American Vampire and Saga to date, for her Sandman volume 1 but not sure if she's finished that yet.

Tried reading Outcast by Kirkman after living the walking dead but found it boring dross and after 4 volumes still didn't have a clue what was supposed to be occuring. I also tried reading East of West bit wasn't impressed with that either despite the pretty stellar reviews it gets. Found it all over the place and really unclear of any sort of story so probably leaving that alone as well.

Back
Top Bottom