* The Comic Book and Graphic Novel thread *

EDIT: Worst day to tell me to check out Wiki as well ;)

Disable javascript or use your mobile browser and it works fine :)

A
..what's the quality like with these?

It varies tbh, I'm reading them all because I am a HUGE fan. I wouldn't really recommend Buffy, it takes dramatic turns from the TV series and is a bit pants at times. The Angel series done by IDW I really like though (Starts with After the Fall) it was a shame they decided to bring it back to Dark Horse as technically it isn't canon any more. I haven't read any of Buffy Season 9/Angel & Faith so I can't comment on those yet.

Is there anything else out there like this as im not really interested in the main super hero comics.

Yes lots.

Sandman (This is a must read for anyone interested in comics)
Fables
Walking Dead
Morning Glories
Unwritten
Chew
100 Bullets
American Vampires

Just a few things to check out there!

Disable javascript or use your mobile browser and it works fine :)

It varies tbh, I'm reading them all because I am a HUGE fan. I wouldn't really recommend Buffy, it takes dramatic turns from the TV series and is a bit pants at times. The Angel series done by IDW I really like though (Starts with After the Fall) it was a shame they decided to bring it back to Dark Horse as technically it isn't canon any more. I haven't read any of Buffy Season 9/Angel & Faith so I can't comment on those yet.

Yes lots.

Sandman (This is a must read for anyone interested in comics)
Fables
Walking Dead
Morning Glories
Unwritten
Chew
100 Bullets
American Vampires

Just a few things to check out there!

Are you reading Spaceman by Brian Azzarello if you were a fan of 100 bullets? Are are you more of a fan of the type of story 100 Bullets was?

I was up to issue 70 when the local comic book store shut down so I am tempted to get the whole run in trade format and read it in one go over a few days again.

FOA Scarecrow:

You could try The Goon to, not a super hero comic, stories are good. Think its up to around 10 volumes now.

Shamikebab:

Is Morning Glories and Fables a good read? Seem them on the shelves but never actually bought them.

Last edited:
I tried to dabble with X-Men when the Schism arc was going on but found them pretty boring, surprising seeing as a kid/teenager the X-Men were my favourite characters given the success of the cartoon and the films. In terms of comics I'm very much a DC man (although again I have been getting the new fortnightly Marvel graphic novels the latest of which was the X-Men)

EDIT: Thinking about it I think my problem with X-Men these days is that too much has gone on that I'm not up to speed with, I mean where's Jean Grey? Where's Professor X? Both dead is the impression I got from reading a few issues of the Schism arc.

Yes they are, not sure how as I didn’t read those issues. The X-Men split into two factions lead by Cyclops and Wolverine. (Although I have a sneakly felling they be back together in another event.) The Regenesis thing it like a relauch of the entire line. Read Schism plus the main Regenesis titles (X-Men, Uncanny X-men and Wolverine and the X-Men.)

X-Men are the only Marvel title I really read, never got into Spiderman, Hulk etc. My main problem with the X-men is there too many of them (and lots of characters I don’t really like) and too many books. Used to be rampart crossovers too but that doesn’t seem to be happening right now.

Morning Glories - Awesome reading so far
The Boys - Hilarious and addictive
100 Bullets - Fantastic is the only way I can describe it

Only the above so far, don't have the time or money to invest in the various other novels :(

Yes they are, not sure how as I didn’t read those issues. The X-Men split into two factions lead by Cyclops and Wolverine. (Although I have a sneakly felling they be back together in another event.) The Regenesis thing it like a relauch of the entire line. Read Schism plus the main Regenesis titles (X-Men, Uncanny X-men and Wolverine and the X-Men.)

X-Men are the only Marvel title I really read, never got into Spiderman, Hulk etc. My main problem with the X-men is there too many of them (and lots of characters I don’t really like) and too many books. Used to be rampart crossovers too but that doesn’t seem to be happening right now.

Read Schism, was alight, didn't know what to think of the re-genesis idea, but i just read the first 3 issues of Wolverine and the X-Men. Always been a fan of Jason Aaron, but my word he's pulled it out of the bag with this title, It kind of resembles Naruto in the way it is set out.

Just seen IGN award Snyder's pre new52 Detective Comics arc has won their comic of the year award, anyone know if this has been released as a graphic novel yet?

Not sure I like the sound of the story though, Dick Grayson being Batman :/

If you mean Black Mirror (available in hardback), I'd argue it's one of the finest Batman books ever written.

I wasn't overly taken with Grayson as Batman at first, but that was because Battle for the Cowl was pretty lousy. This book is would have been the perfect springboard for Dick taking over - although I'm pleased to see Bruce retake the mantle, Grayson could have actually been great under Snyder's writing.

Are you reading Spaceman by Brian Azzarello if you were a fan of 100 bullets? Are are you more of a fan of the type of story 100 Bullets was?

I was up to issue 70 when the local comic book store shut down so I am tempted to get the whole run in trade format and read it in one go over a few days again.

100 bullets is being collected into very nice hardback editions at the moment - volume 1 is out now, volume 2 is March-ish

Is Morning Glories and Fables a good read? Seem them on the shelves but never actually bought them.

Fables is excellent so far - I'm reading the deluxe editions, which are up to 3 or 4 now.

I've bought them all but haven't started reading it yet.

Fables is brilliant, great writing, great art.

Morning Glories is tricky to explain, it's sort of like Lost in a school. Very clever writing with lots of interlocking plot arcs, I'm absolutely enthralled by it, I'd say it's my favourite comic running at the moment.

Last edited:
If you mean Black Mirror (available in hardback), I'd argue it's one of the finest Batman books ever written.

I wasn't overly taken with Grayson as Batman at first, but that was because Battle for the Cowl was pretty lousy. This book is would have been the perfect springboard for Dick taking over - although I'm pleased to see Bruce retake the mantle, Grayson could have actually been great under Snyder's writing.

How comes there was a battle for the cowl to begin with?

The new52 line is a god send for someone like me wanting to get into the DC universe from scratch but there's obviously a lot pre new52 that I dont have a clue about :o

The new52 line is a god send for someone like me wanting to get into the DC universe from scratch but there's obviously a lot pre new52 that I dont have a clue about :o

Amen to all of that!

I believe Bruce goes missing at the end of Grant Morrison's Batman R.I.P then there literally was a battle for the cowl.

100 bullets is being collected into very nice hardback editions at the moment - volume 1 is out now, volume 2 is March-ish

Fables is excellent so far - I'm reading the deluxe editions, which are up to 3 or 4 now.

I was wondering if 100 Bullets would get new releases as the original trades are slowly disappearing from stock. Will keep my eyes open for them :)

I've bought them all but haven't started reading it yet.

Fables is brilliant, great writing, great art.

Morning Glories is tricky to explain, it's sort of like Lost in a school. Very clever writing with lots of interlocking plot arcs, I'm absolutely enthralled by it, I'd say it's my favourite comic running at the moment.

Thanks for the info, think I will pick up the first volume of Morning Glories and check it out.

Having Grayson as Batman is just wrong! I don't buy any comics with Robin/Nightwing in it! :D

Last edited:
Won't be picking my weekly lot up til the weekend :( looking forward to it.

Read Red Skull Incarnate mini series this morning, by Greg Pak, great writer, and such a good grounded look at the beginnings of one of Marvel's 'Super' Villains. I'd suggest to anybody with an interest in Pre-WW2 build up and who enjoys a character building comic.

Got the first 5 issues of Green Lantern Corps 52reboot to read next, shame Gleason is no longer doing the artwork, but with Tomasi writing, I'm expecting nothing less than class.

Btw, it's really good to have a dedicated thread on OCUk to chat comics, I know I could easily go to a dedicated forum, but OCUk has been my community for discussion since about 2003.

Bruce "dies" during Infinite Crisis. Tim Drake thinks someone should take over because there has to be a Batman - Dick doesn't want to do it, so Tim decides he will. Then Jason Todd decides it's his time to become Batman (and I think Harvey Dent may be in the mix too, it's been a while). Jason nearly kills Tim, big fight ensues, Dick ends up taking on the cowl.

It was an interesting idea spoilt by the fact that the by-the-numbers outcome everyone expected (Dick becoming Batman) happened.

Bruce "dies" during Infinite Crisis. Tim Drake thinks someone should take over because there has to be a Batman - Dick doesn't want to do it, so Tim decides he will. Then Jason Todd decides it's his time to become Batman (and I think Harvey Dent may be in the mix too, it's been a while). Jason nearly kills Tim, big fight ensues, Dick ends up taking on the cowl.

It was an interesting idea spoilt by the fact that the by-the-numbers outcome everyone expected (Dick becoming Batman) happened.

:( oops for my previous statement.

Ooops for mine....Final Crisis, not Infinite Crisis!

Too many crisiseseses :D

Back
Top Bottom