* The Comic Book and Graphic Novel thread *

Never really been into comics myself, but I've been a fan of the Marvel films and The Dark Knight. I learnt about this over Christmas and subscribed. :)

Just finished reading the first book which was The Amazing Spider-Man: Coming Home which I really enjoyed. Despite not knowing what came before it (Though there's a little catchup at the beginning) I thought it was a pretty good noob introduction to the series. :p

Can't wait for the next one which is some X-Men comics I believe. Will probably keep the series going as long as my finances allow!

Never really been into comics myself, but I've been a fan of the Marvel films and The Dark Knight. I learnt about this over Christmas and subscribed. :)

Just finished reading the first book which was The Amazing Spider-Man: Coming Home which I really enjoyed. Despite not knowing what came before it (Though there's a little catchup at the beginning) I thought it was a pretty good noob introduction to the series. :p

Can't wait for the next one which is some X-Men comics I believe. Will probably keep the series going as long as my finances allow!

Issue 2 has been out for about a week now, I think issue 3 will be out next weekend

I started reading Detective Comics, only read the first 2 of the 5 released so far but enjoying it at the moment :)

Not read mine yet but the main Batman title getting lots of prise. Issue 5 a bit mad with panels all over the place, including upside down. One review I read said it was printing errors :D

I have far to many unread DC new 52's at the moment. Might get a few more to complete the current story but then I'll cut back my DC’s to just Batman.

Batman is tricky, tbh. I learnt a long time ago to not bother trying to read any sort of order, better to start with Year 1 then just read the good ones.

After Year One you might try

Long Haloween
Killing Joke
Hush
Dark Knight Returns

In fact just look at this list link

Killing Joke is pretty dark as is Dark Knight returns. All of the ones mentioned by Shamikebab with the possible exception of Hush which is more of a greatest hits for the rouges actioner.

The Black Mirror is very dark but has Dick as batman so might be a bit weird (I just thought it was great though). Same same but different, as you might say in Thailand.

Last edited:
Batman is tricky, tbh. I learnt a long time ago to not bother trying to read any sort of order, better to start with Year 1 then just read the good ones.

After Year One you might try

Long Haloween
Killing Joke
Hush
Dark Knight Returns

In fact just look at this list link

Spot on, though I'd look at Tomasi's Batman + Robin once they start releasing trade's if you'd like something current and massively relevant to how things appear to be panning out for Bruce and Damian

(I seem to Tout this too often :P )

I really want to read some of the dark side of Batman, but not sure where to start.

Any hints?

Year One
Death in the Family
Killing Joke
Arkham Asylum
The Cult
Gothic
Prey
Venom
Dark Knight Returns
Batman and the Monster Men
Batman and the Mad Monk
Faces
Night Cries
Harvest Breed
Dark Knight Returns
Joker
The Black Mirror (but you will need to be at least slightly up to date with Batman, Wikipedia will probably do at a push)

If you don't mind comics instead of graphics, look for any runs of Legends of the Dark Knight - Gothic, Prey, Venom and Faces were all from that, but there were loads of great stories that never got collected.

Probably going to get the Aquaman trade. Everyone seems to like it.

For sure:
Batman The Dark Knight #5
Witchblade #152
Astonishing X-Men #46
X-Men Legacy #261

Possibly:
Grimm Fairy Tales Alice in Wonderland #1 (I want to see it first.)

Chew is brilliant fun. Great sense of humour too!

Invincible - I have not seen it mentioned. Written by Robert Kirkman (guy who does Walking Dead), it is a Super-hero book with a very unique style. If you are jaded with DC/Marvel stuff and just want to read something different and exciting, you cannot go wrong with it.

Thought I'd chance my luck and put in an order for the Absoloute edition of Batman Hush at Forbidden Planet the other day, I've seen it going for upwards of £80 and FP were doing it for only £26 with no guarantee of actually being able to still get stock of it.... got an email today that it's been dispatched :cool:

Looking forward to going through it as I'm almost all up to date on my reading material (only got new 52 Batman 1-7 left to catch up on)

I've also been getting that fortnightly Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novel collection and man does Marvel suck when compared with DC :o

Thought I'd chance my luck and put in an order for the Absoloute edition of Batman Hush at Forbidden Planet the other day, I've seen it going for upwards of £80 and FP were doing it for only £26 with no guarantee of actually being able to still get stock of it.... got an email today that it's been dispatched :cool:

Thanks...just put in an order myself, fingers x'd!

No probs mate, hope your order converts as well :)

I was actually thinking about cancelling my order and going for a smaller version of the tale as I was in a local geek shop at the weekend and saw the size of another Absoloute version of another Batman arc and the thing was huge, weighed a ton as well!! Ah well :)

No probs mate, hope your order converts as well :)

I was actually thinking about cancelling my order and going for a smaller version of the tale as I was in a local geek shop at the weekend and saw the size of another Absoloute version of another Batman arc and the thing was huge, weighed a ton as well!! Ah well :)

Step away from the mouse! You really do want the Absolute Hush, it's a thing of beauty - the extra size really shows off just how good Jim Lee's artwork is.

Don't forget the slipcases are pretty sturdy as well, so that adds a bit of bulk. Hush is actually one of the smaller Absolutes, you want to see V for Vendetta :eek:

Back
Top Bottom