* The Comic Book and Graphic Novel thread *

Hush turned up today :cool:

65247371.jpg

Pretty relieved because at the price FP are doing it I was sure they got the description on their site wrong and it was going to arrive without the slipcase or something but as you can see it's all complete and it even has a FP retail sticker on the back for £75.00 :D

Hush turned up today :cool:

65247371.jpg

Pretty relieved because at the price FP are doing it I was sure they got the description on their site wrong and it was going to arrive without the slipcase or something but as you can see it's all complete and it even has a FP retail sticker on the back for £75.00 :D

They often do have them cheap, and they're always brand new - I picked up Absolute Justice for about the same price - the only problem is that they are rubbish at updating the website, and won't make any effort to contact you if it's out of stock.

However, the staff on the order query line (number is sent to you with your order) are very helpful and can check into it if you've been waiting a while.

Heads up to those who are interested Scott Snyder will be doing autograph signings at FP in London next Friday (18th) from 6-7pm

I still haven't read any of his run on Batman yet but wanted to get hold of copies of Black Mirror and Gates of Gotham so I may well pop along pick them up and get them signed :)

I have been enjoying the newish Conan graphic novels. I own the first 4 and re-read them recently, a great read.

I put in a stock suggestion to my local library to stock the whole series. A few months later I can see that they have actually ordered them all, great! Only problem is the library roof developed cracks and it is going to be shut for several months. By the time it is repaired I will actually have left London.

I've never really been into Comics or Graphic Novels (Although I did read the MGS graphic novel which was shaweeeet :))... However, I'd like to read more...

Any recommendations on some for a newbie? Also anyone know what the best comics app there is on the iPad?

I've never really been into Comics or Graphic Novels (Although I did read the MGS graphic novel which was shaweeeet :))... However, I'd like to read more...

Any recommendations on some for a newbie? Also anyone know what the best comics app there is on the iPad?

I'm a big newbie myself. I found it a very daunting task jumping into a comic book series with over 40 years worth of back issues. But there are some really great guides on where the best jumping in points are on certain comics. You've obviously the option to start from the very beginning which can be very expensive unless you go for the crappy phone book sized black and white copies. Or you can jump in at more recent stories/arcs.

I think they're doing a big marvel reboot come October called Marvel NOW! or something. Which would be a good jumping in point if you don't want to read any of the older stuff.

When it comes to DC comics and other indie comics I don't know much about as I'm only reading x-men and x-men related tie ins atm.

http://crushingkrisis.com/

This guy has some great guides on how to start reading marvel comics.

http://www.comicvine.com/ Forums have good comic related banter.

And best app for Ipad would be comicrack imo.

Last edited:
Comixology the best legit place to get digital comics. It's on every platform you can think off. Mavels and DCs own app is just the Comixology one rebranded.

The Marvel Now probably more of a renumber/branding thing then a total reboot.

DC did a genuie reboot about a year ago with the "New 52". So, you got about 12 back issuse. They going to release some issuse 0 prequels soon. Might be a good starting point.

For indies, Imagine comics the best. They just released loads of new comics. Most only have a few back issuses to collect.

Comixology the best legit place to get digital comics. It's on every platform you can think off. Mavels and DCs own app is just the Comixology one rebranded.

The Marvel Now probably more of a renumber/branding thing then a total reboot.

DC did a genuie reboot about a year ago with the "New 52". So, you got about 12 back issuse. They going to release some issuse 0 prequels soon. Might be a good starting point.

For indies, Imagine comics the best. They just released loads of new comics. Most only have a few back issuses to collect.

Comixology is good but the marvel digital comics unlimited is so much better if you want to read all the older comics. As you just pay some like £5 a month for as many as you want. But it has it's flaws. The reader itself is crap and it has a lot of gaps. Plus the price for comics is pretty much the same as digital if you're buying per issue which isn't worth it imo.

I'm a big newbie myself. I found it a very daunting task jumping into a comic book series with over 40 years worth of back issues. But there are some really great guides on where the best jumping in points are on certain comics. You've obviously the option to start from the very beginning which can be very expensive unless you go for the crappy phone book sized black and white copies. Or you can jump in at more recent stories/arcs.

I think they're doing a big marvel reboot come October called Marvel NOW! or something. Which would be a good jumping in point if you don't want to read any of the older stuff.

When it comes to DC comics and other indie comics I don't know much about as I'm only reading x-men and x-men related tie ins atm.

http://crushingkrisis.com/

This guy has some great guides on how to start reading marvel comics.

http://www.comicvine.com/ Forums have good comic related banter.

And best app for Ipad would be comicrack imo.

I'm just using CMC to transport myself back to 1995, and then use various online resources to work out appropriate read orders for the larger cross-overs.

Ultraverse titles suck balls though.

A few titles I've been reading and enjoying recently have been:

Happy! - a bit strange yet funny and enjoyable to read.
Punk Rock Jesus.
Secret Service (when will iss 5 come out!?)
Great Pacific and the Django Unchained adaptation had great first issues.
DMZ - fantastic, I love all the sub plots and how they end up tying together, up to vol 7 now.
A one off called Rat Catcher for 6 pounds which was worth it.
Lot 13 - I met Glenn Fabry at a signing of this and had a chat, the comic is an awesome read and his artwork is amazing, cool guy too.
Chew is my favourite read at the moment and have read up to vol 3, fantastic art work and great story telling.

I used to read Simpsons/Futurama/Amazing Spider Man all the time then stopped and started reading newer titles last year, I've got to say it's a bit addictive! I had to write a list of all the titles i've bought 1st and 2nd issues off and the ones I like/don't like, good thing a lot of them are limited runs. That said, I'd like to read some Batman at some point.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom