The Emirates FA Cup Final Man City v Man Utd ** Spoilers ** [Saturday 25th May 2024 @ 3pm]

Soldato
Personally I don't think United should sack ETH.

Its a bit like Arteta, its took two years before things started to improve.

United where very poor before ETH took over. So I don't think they are poor because of him. I understand he's excuse that he's best players haven't been available. Maybe they should have still performance a bit better but I think the United board should back the manager give him some money to buy a few players and give him one more season before making a decision.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I am starting to get a bit of a Lukaku vibe from Haaland now... seems worryingly limited in many areas and rarely impacts the big games.

Obviously he's still a good striker, but I'm not sure he's ever going to affect games like the very best players consistently do.

Caporegime
The Athletic guys think a review will be undertaken this week before a decision is made. They do confirm Man Utd have been speaking to other managers though - which hardly looks great.

However, this is slightly at odds with the reports that came out yesterday that he was gone no matter what.

We shall see...

Why would you believe those liars. Literally everything that has been said over the last week has not been confirmed by any reliable source! It was just said to derail United. The hatred is real. They are scared because for the first time in a long time we have a manager with a plan and they don't like it.

If the media were that sure ETH was getting sacked why were they asking him the question every 2 seconds!?

Also what does end of season review actually consist of? Isn't that par for the course for any season!?

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally I don't think United should sack ETH.

Its a bit like Arteta, its took two years before things started to improve.

United where very poor before ETH took over. So I don't think they are poor because of him. I understand he's excuse that he's best players haven't been available. Maybe they should have still performance a bit better but I think the United board should back the manager give him some money to buy a few players and give him one more season before making a decision.

Not really the same though is it, you’re comparing apples to oranges. Arteta got rid of the bad eggs - you could say ETH has done the same and that is where the similarity ends for.

Style of play they have implemented on the team. Team cohesion. Arteta has been signing youth and bringing them through. Signings on the whole are good. The established players he’s buying are ready to go for the peak of their career - Rice for example. Polar opposite for ETH. You could even make a case for him being sacked purely based on his signings.

You need to performances, even if getting beat or getting unlucky you can still see there are signs under Arteta under ETH is just headless chicken stuff. Don’t think anyone can see yeh the performances are improving they’re looking good but just not getting the results yet but they’ll come.

United have spent massive amounts and are on the boardline for PSR/FFP whereas Arsenal have room to wiggle so can go for the final piece of the puzzle that’s their task this year get that centre forward - United on the other hand are still miles behind. Despite the money been spent.

Although it’s stupid to compare the squads like for like for various reasons, how many United players get into the Arsenal squad. Let alone starting 11.

Why would you believe those liars. Literally everything that has been said over the last week has not been confirmed by any reliable source! It was just said to derail United. The hatred is real. They are scared because for the first time in a long time we have a manager with a plan and they don't like it.

If the media were that sure ETH was getting sacked why were they asking him the question every 2 seconds!?

Also what does end of season review actually consist of? Isn't that par for the course for any season!?
What plan? I’m genuinely curious as I’ve not got a clue what the plan is. To me it’s just lets go out and do what you want - it’s brilliant to watch they’re by far the best team in the league to watch and thats because you just don’t know whats going to happen. They can get beat 4-0 from Palace, have a 3-3 draw with a championship side, blow leads late on. Win late on. It’s great.

Caporegime
Not really the same though is it, you’re comparing apples to oranges. Arteta got rid of the bad eggs - you could say ETH has done the same and that is where the similarity ends for.

Style of play they have implemented on the team. Team cohesion. Arteta has been signing youth and bringing them through. Signings on the whole are good. The established players he’s buying are ready to go for the peak of their career - Rice for example. Polar opposite for ETH. You could even make a case for him being sacked purely based on his signings.

You need to performances, even if getting beat or getting unlucky you can still see there are signs under Arteta under ETH is just headless chicken stuff. Don’t think anyone can see yeh the performances are improving they’re looking good but just not getting the results yet but they’ll come.

United have spent massive amounts and are on the boardline for PSR/FFP whereas Arsenal have room to wiggle so can go for the final piece of the puzzle that’s their task this year get that centre forward - United on the other hand are still miles behind. Despite the money been spent.

Although it’s stupid to compare the squads like for like for various reasons, how many United players get into the Arsenal squad. Let alone starting 11.

What plan? I’m genuinely curious as I’ve not got a clue what the plan is. To me it’s just lets go out and do what you want - it’s brilliant to watch they’re by far the best team in the league to watch and thats because you just don’t know whats going to happen. They can get beat 4-0 from Palace, have a 3-3 draw with a championship side, blow leads late on. Win late on. It’s great.

When we have the players and the right ones then it will click. You see moments when we have the vast majority of our players then it just collapses when they get injured. Early in January when Martinez comes back we were looking good again then he instantly got injured as did Shaw.

Man City had pretty much a full strength squad yesterday. We were still playing a RB at LB.

You only have to watch the football ETH did at Ajax to see how beautiful it was. You don't just forget that over night but he needs the players to accomplish that. He alluded this to the press before but obviously they didn't understand what he meant and simply said he will not play like Ajax.

Our current squad is 8th in the league pretty much. Liverpool dropped 25 points in a season so having injuries obviously has an effect. Newcastle had the best defence in the league last season and now are nowhere. We are a top 4 side at best with the odd day where we can turn it on against big opposition.

We have spent incredibly poorly yes but ETH needs players for his system to work. The people above him failed miserably to supply him with what he wanted and overpaid due to panicking.

Now it is up for this new setup to deliver the goods for him.

Last edited:
Soldato
imo that should earn him another season, under new recruitment and people giving out contracts to players , its been a mess since the glazers
Sir Alex finished 13th when he won the FA Cup and verge of being sacked

Also to add to that Arteta didnt start all that great either

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeh I'm aware of Ferguson's record.

Difference of opinion but I didn't see anything last season to warrant another.

It's the league that matters ultimately.

Soldato
When we have the players and the right ones then it will click. You see moments when we have the vast majority of our players then it just collapses when they get injured. Early in January when Martinez comes back we were looking good again then he instantly got injured as did Shaw.

Man City had pretty much a full strength squad yesterday. We were still playing a RB at LB.

You only have to watch the football ETH did at Ajax to see how beautiful it was. You don't just forget that over night but he needs the players to accomplish that. He alluded this to the press before but obviously they didn't understand what he meant and simply said he will not play like Ajax.

Our current squad is 8th in the league pretty much. Liverpool dropped 25 points in a season so having injuries obviously has an effect. Newcastle had the best defence in the league last season and now are nowhere. We are a top 4 side at best with the odd day where we can turn it on against big opposition.

We have spent incredibly poorly yes but ETH needs players for his system to work. The people above him failed miserably to supply him with what he wanted and overpaid due to panicking.

Now it is up for this new setup to deliver the goods for him.

You’re away with the fairies

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
The issue with comparing him to the likes of Arteta is that you could see clear indications that Arsenal we're moving towards something. I don't think many would have bet on Arsenal being where they are now but you could see that there was progression. I can't see that at United. Thats the issue. If we had been showing some small signs of becoming a better unit this season he probably wouldn't be going.

Soldato
The issue with comparing him to the likes of Arteta is that you could see clear indications that Arsenal we're moving towards something. I don't think many would have bet on Arsenal being where they are now but you could see that there was progression. I can't see that at United. Thats the issue. If we had been showing some small signs of becoming a better unit this season he probably wouldn't be going.

Regarding Arsenal it's not just Arteta they made changes above him
The people at the top made the right changes with people who made the right decisions with recruitment and offering contracts, and getting players out , we have never had that under the glazers now finally that may happen regardless of the manager

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Regarding Arsenal
The people at the top made the right changes with people who made the right decisions with recruitment and offering contracts, and getting players out , we have never had that under the glazers now finally that may happen regardless of the manager

Fingers crossed. Perhaps EtH came a few years early. It is what it is however and I don't think putting another season under him will bear fruits. The other question would be, if we did stick with him, what amount of progress would be acceptable? Back into top 4 next season? Comparing next season to this one and the only way is up really. That shouldn't be enough though.

A small part of me still wants him to stay and for it work out but the sensible part of me says that simply won't happen no matter how long he stays.

Modern managers have a shelf life. You tend to either fly or die. You don't tend to meander for 3-4 years then suddenly take the same set of players to world domination. Once the players have decided you're not there long term its almost certainly over for you.

Soldato
Fingers crossed. Perhaps EtH came a few years early. It is what it is however and I don't think putting another season under him will bear fruits. The other question would be, if we did stick with him, what amount of progress would be acceptable? Back into top 4 next season? Comparing next season to this one and the only way is up really. That shouldn't be enough though.

A small part of me still wants him to stay and for it work out but the sensible part of me says that simply won't happen no matter how long he stays.

Modern managers have a shelf life. You tend to either fly or die. You don't tend to meander for 3-4 years then suddenly take the same set of players to world domination. Once the players have decided you're not there long term its almost certainly over for you.

The last part once the players don't want you, that's what the people above have let happen player power should never be a thing look at Pep and city they make sure they recruit the right players mentally and if they don't keep high standards they are out of the club

Happened at Arsenal as well they got the big ego high earners out of the club , at united they seem they can't do anything until the contract expires

Soldato
To add to the above the Ferguson comparison are hilarious as well.

Ferguson won 3 league titles in Scotland, a bunch of cups and 2 European trophies as well. Sure that’s not really impressive as everyone wins when they manage in Scotland see Brother Brendy.

He done it as manager of Aberdeen!!!

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
The last part once the players don't want you, that's what the people above have let happen player power should never be a thing look at Pep and city they make sure they recruit the right players mentally and if they don't keep high standards they are out of the club

Happened at Arsenal as well they got the big ego high earners out of the club , at united they seem they can't do anything until the contract expires

I think that does happen at every club no matter the level or the structure. The difference is that when you are winning the league pretty much every season and have the best squad and unlimited funds to improve it constantly, that isn't really an issue.

It happens at Bayern, Barca, Real, PSG. Everywhere. You can't avoid some level of player power especially with the wages and transfer fees these days. At Arsenal they had the minor issue of a few overpaid bad eggs who didn't want to knuckle down and do what they were told and once those were gone, the rest of the players were happy and Arsenal have been improving every since. Its easy to keep players happy when you are winning or close to winning.

I agree that we cause ourselves huge issues with recruitment but fundamentally you improve squads incrementally and unless you are doing that at a big club you will have morale issues. Its give and take. Players need to believe in the manager and the manager needs to back his players. When one side of that seems to be letting the other down, it usually goes badly.

Soldato
The problem with setting ETH or any incoming manager a bare minimum top 4 finish as an objective is the reality of the situation.

1 and 2 is is basically City and Arsenal. 3 you would think would be Liverpool.

Leaving only 4th for Spurs, Man U, Chelsea, Newcastle and Villa.

So its a bit removed from reality to say that 4th is bare minimum acceptable.

Last edited:
Soldato
To add to the above the Ferguson comparison are hilarious as well.

Ferguson won 3 league titles in Scotland, a bunch of cups and 2 European trophies as well. Sure that’s not really impressive as everyone wins when they manage in Scotland see Brother Brendy.

He done it as manager of Aberdeen!!!

Arteta did F all and seems to becoming a top manager, they stuck with him

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom