The England Cricket Thread

Soldato
Just back from Lords - cracking day of test cricket. If people can't warm to this and need more instant, constant action then fine, but there's so much that's brilliant about test cricket on a day like this.

The Archer effect is incredible - I can't recall another player that the crowd have so completely warmed to in just his first test match. He was actually pretty wayward at times today - more than his figures suggest - but his battle with Smith was absorbing and brought the entire ground to life. He was bowling around 87 mph until he began to get seriously stuck in to Smith, and then it cranked up to 90+.

It took some guts for Smith to come back on after retiring hurt, but although the muscle memory was there, the judgement was not. I don't think he should have been allowed back on the pitch.

I didn't see any demons in the pitch, although it was turning nicely for Lyon, just a few poor shots - unfortunately mostly from England players. There was some variable bounce, but nothing too poor. Butler and Stokes need to add a decent total tomorrow, and England will still need to be batting until mid-afternoon if they want to save the match or go for the win.

There was a bit of decent banter with some Aussies, which is always part of the atmosphere. Unfortunately the majority just seem to be nasty arrogant *******s these days, especially the under 40s. They'd be better off in a football stadium.

Probably my last time in the Compton stand before it is redeveloped.

NB7V9y5.jpg

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Need to make a quick 25-30 here and then have a bowl. Seriously need to take advantage of a Smith-less Australia.

With Smith a draw would be acceptable. Without Smith a draw would be a missed opportunity. And we're probably not going to get many of those.

Back
Top Bottom