Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (April Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 452 45.0%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 553 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I really can't work out why anyone would want to remain, first off we thought not 1 but 2 world wars with Germany to stop them running Europe, now Brussels pretty much runs Europe how does that work?

I only got this far through your post, because Brussels is the capital of Belgium. :rolleyes:

Literally could have been taken from the Private Eye "From the Message Boards" column.

Soldato
Merkel is an elected politician and intends to stand down as Chancellor at the next election in 2017.

It seems short-sighted to vote leave because of her.

Permabanned
lol you know an internet thread has gone fully down the pan when Angela Merkel is seriously compared to Hitler!

I'm still leaning towards stay the campaigns so far have been dull and predictable the stay campaign seems to be very negative and the go campaign seems to lack any details. The thing that really puts me off the no camp is it is full of right wing loonies and closet racists (not saying everyone pro leave is a racists).

I don't think people who want out are racists or loonies, I think personally they have the most common sense, we have seen the terrorist attacks across Europe and all these people raping / attacking women in Germany etc.. does it make me a racist or a loonie I don't want these type of people with no background (passports) etc in this country ..nope. Also like I said previous we already have a housing shortage, nhs has a backlog of waiting lists etc how much more people can we take in and help? - that's my view on the matter.

Soldato
I don't think people who want out are racists or loonies, I think personally they have the most common sense, we have seen the terrorist attacks across Europe and all these people raping / attacking women in Germany etc.. does it make me a racist or a loonie I don't want these type of people with no background (passports) etc in this country ..nope. Also like I said previous we already have a housing shortage, nhs has a backlog of waiting lists etc how much more people can we take in and help? - that's my view on the matter.

What has the refugee crisis got to do with the EU? The refugees don't have a right to an EU passport at any stage. Any refugees that we take in as a country is our decision and that won't change.

Soldato
Bernard Connolly's book "The Rotten Heart of Europe" predicted the flaws of the EU/Euro all the way back in 1995. He worked for the European Commission before the book, and was sacked shortly after it was published. That's typically how the EU treats dissenters. He's been commended for his work by the Wall Street Journal, Mark Carney and Denmark (see here).

The book basically called the EU/Euro project a threat to freedom and democracy, and predicted a nasty endgame. His best quote from a recent interview is:

The EU/Euro was “badly constructed”, because the people who constructed it didn’t care about economics, only about politics. The plan from day one was to “put in place a mechanism” that would force Europe’s countries into a political union.

For me that's the heart of the issue. The EU "project" of creating poltiical union trumps any national interest. So what if a Greek default or Grexit is the best thing for the people of Greece, they won't allow it to happen.

We need to be able to act in the best interests of the UK, not in the best interests of creating a European superstate.

Soldato
What has the refugee crisis got to do with the EU? The refugees don't have a right to an EU passport at any stage. Any refugees that we take in as a country is our decision and that won't change.
10 years from now not a single one of them will have an EU passport or a legal right to enter the UK?

I'm finding that rather wishful thinking.

Soldato
http://openeurope.org.uk/today/blog...l-refugees-acquire-full-free-movement-rights/

Long-term residency is not enough to secure free movement rights
If refugees end up staying in Europe permanently they can acquire long-term resident status – subject to meeting certain conditions – as per the 2003 EU Directive on the status of non-EU nationals who are long-term residents. This gives them the same rights as that of EU member state’s nationals in certain areas, although it does not bestow an absolute right to free movement on par with EU nationals.

In any event, the UK, along with Ireland and Denmark, are exempt from this directive. This means that the UK does not have to allow non-EU nationals who are long-term residents of other member state into the UK if it does not want to. If it does allow them entry to the UK it is on the same basis as other non-EU nationals, i.e. meeting any relevant skills and income criteria. Therefore, the UK already has additional controls over immigration policy compared to other EU member states.

So if the above is correct, then we already have as much power as required to deny access.

Soldato
Whatever happens I should be able to keep freedom of movement & work due to having Irish ancestry (apparently you can apply for duel citizenship if you have a grandparent in the Republic of Ireland).

I'm voting to stay in for the sole reason I trust the EU over the Conservatives/UK on matters related to protecting the rights vulnerable individuals. If the UK was less right wing I'd be more inclined to vote to leave.

Soldato
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom