Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (June Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 794 45.1%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 965 54.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Let people make their mind up on what was said.

I hope he is chuffed with himself contacting an 80 year old man who going by the transcript was struggling to answer and even said his mind forgets things, all for a story.

I have not read the full story but did he just contact Gove's dad out the blue? If so then that is worse imo.

Soldato
Bottom line. If we have control of immigration, and a point(we have a million kids who would jump at the chance to do unskilled labour, for a decent wage packet

If someone wants to earn a decent wage then perhaps they should make an effort and learn a skill.
It's called unskilled labour for a reason and it's valued as such.

Soldato
If? It is never going to happen, do you really think either party are actually going to say sorry, we are not trading with you?

And that goes for pretty much all the other huge companies we currently trade with.

Carry on as pretty much normal if we leave the EU.

I know, I'm 100% certain that when my service is due I'll be taking my car to a German company for the service.

Personally I think if we leave the EU will start to crumble, and people like the bankers will lose billions, and Cameron and Osbourne will have less power, which is worse than losing money to them.

Soldato
I know, I'm 100% certain that when my service is due I'll be taking my car to a German company for the service.

Personally I think if we leave the EU will start to crumble, and people like the bankers will lose billions, and Cameron and Osbourne will have less power, which is worse than losing money to them.

You know what? So because you decide to take your car to a German company for a service then everybody else will? Or have i misread?

Soldato
Well, David Cameron certainly made the comment "lose access to the single market" on the TV debate as I distinctly remember thinking he should have been corrected on it by the presenter.

It's one of his favourite lines, now he's using the "death" scare tactics, saying NATO is saying we'll be less secure outside the EU? Where is the connection? Anyone?

Soldato
Plumber can dig a hole and fix the pipe but he's also got high enough IQ to hire someone to do the hard bit that requires no skill and pay him peanuts. :p

I'm pretty sure gas mains labourers are on good money actually. This has to be a trend set for all private companies also.

My cousin has got a low IQ and has been a labourer his whole life, he is 50, first time out of work. The last job he did lasted 3 weeks, the whole crew were Polish and got kept on longer because they had been there longer.

Our minimum wage has been low for one reason, cheap labour because of the EU freedom of movement. Call me racist, I don't care, I call it a shambles because I think highly of my cousin.

EDIT: Also, there's obviously a lack of unskilled labour jobs now. We need the skilled personnel not the unskilled(not sure if this is reversible).

Last edited:
Associate
But my point was that Remainers are defeating the argument that immigration will stop completely...

Example 3:58....

"If we leave the EU and immigration is dramatically stopped..."

That is a strawman, no one is claiming immigration will go to 0.

As for the claim it will reduce immigration it almost certainly will. 80% of net EU migration into Europe would stop overnight if those people had to adhere to the same conditions of entry as non-EU citizens.

Ok well I just watched Gove suggest that immigration could be brought down to the tens of thousands. In 2015 43,000 people came to the UK on the basis of family visa, ie children, wives etc of UK residents. The immigration from Non EU countries was nearly 200,000. How exactly is Brexit going to reduce immigration to the tens of thousands?

I am not suggesting anyone has claimed immigration will be 0 but the clear implicit message of the Leave campaign is that immigration will be substantially reduced. In my view that is a fallacy.

Is there a reasonable possibility we'll end up signing a free movement deal anyway in order to gain free access to the single market? Yes. Is there a reasonable possibility the size of the UK's economy will get us a deal that has a more controlled version. Yes as well.

Umm no. No country in Europe has had a deal with the EU that didn't involve free movement. Switzerland tried to change it and had a referendum to change it in response the EU has sanctioned them in various ways eg expelling all Swiss students from the Erasmus program so they couldn't go to study in other EU countries under the scheme. All the evidence from other countries suggests that the UK will not be able to get a special deal on free movement.

Well you kinda did by suggesting if they lost access to our market they'd find someone else to fill the gap, as if it was no biggie or that much disruption.

Trading conditions would have to become extremely bad for you to give up on your current biggest market in favour of looking elsewhere.

No my assertion is that if one market undergoes a drop in demand then the seller will change behaviour. That might be seeking a different market or it might be reducing supply. Its not that German car producers will suddenly choose to move their supply but if the market conditions change and demand is reduced then obviously total cars sold will drop.

In theory yes. However we also have French farmers whose biggest market is at threat. With both of them needing a good deal you can pretty much ignore the smaller states' opinion.

That is two member states out of 28. The decision will be subject to vote by all member states. You might want to look up the trade deficits run by a number of EU members with the UK. Will those countries be as averse to blocking a free trade deal and tariffs?

If you think the large states always get their way then why is the UK leaving if as a large state we can mostly get what we want?

BMW can currently trade freely in the UK with no tariffs or import limits. Ford, Honda, Nissan etc can only trade by the rules set by their respective governments.

That gives them an advantage over non-EU car manufacturers doesn't it? If it doesn't then what is the point of being in the single market at all?

The ownership of the company is neither here nor there the issue is where the production occurs. That is why Japanese cars are made in Sunderland because then they are manufactured in the EU and not subject to any restrictions in the single market. The trading rules applied to those manufacturers are the EU ones not Japanese or American.

Because you are putting forward the implication that unless you're in a free trade area within another foreign car manufacturer then somehow it would put massive trade barriers up that would impact your ability to trade. The fact the best selling car in the UK is American owned shows that isn't the case.

You are missing the point. The question of nationality of the company is not relevant. The best selling car in the UK is from an American company but I sincerely doubt many of them were manufactured in the USA. If they are built in the EU then they can be traded within the EU single market without tariffs. If the UK leaves the EU then depending on what trade arrangement is agreed with the EU there may be tariffs. In fact as far as I am aware most car imports from outside the single market are subject to a tariff so odds are post Brexit cars made in the UK would be subject to tariffs.

If EU advatages were that great, BMW, Mercedes and Citroen would be noticeably ahead in terms of sales than the likes of Ford or Honda...but they're not.

Irrelevant, all Minis are build in the UK but you still think BMW will stop selling them to us if we pull out of the EU.

I don't and have not suggested that BMW will stop selling cars in the UK. The issue is how many at what cost. My assertion is that a UK outside the EU will probably have a Tariff regime that will increase the cost of BMW cars in the UK. Micro economic theory says that if the price goes up the demand goes down and the market will adjust to find a new equilibrium and clear itself. That means fewer BMW cars sold in the UK. The wider consequence of that change is varied but that is as far as my claim goes.

Soldato
Its my name and a picture, not that much info. Besides I have held public office so lots of pictures of me on the internet already and I have a short entry in Wikipedia so aspects of my life are already in the public domain.

I smell a mole you have been a member since 2009 with only 138 posts! :confused:

Of which 25% are on this subject. :rolleyes:

Do you still hold public office and for who, as to hold public office you have to be elected.

As for all others who would like to remain, I would within a week if its possible go back about 200 years in history and start reading about banking and control of the populace. You will find it very fascinating and educational.

I don't care if I lose £1k,2k hell even £10k a year just to get out of the bureaucratic nightmare the EU has become.

This is not how its suppose to be period, the EU was promoted as an all encompassing value to protect and treat all as equal. Well you know how thats worked out. :rolleyes:

I know divorce and separation are hard and can understand the young being afraid, but we are the untied kingdom and you don't become 5th largest economy in the world by sitting on your backside worrying about mobile roaming tariffs and holidays. :mad:

As for jobs and businesses, it will be business as usual if we leave a few hiccups here and there but you still get your BMWs and Mercs at the same price.

I will end on a lighter note! :D

VOTE LEAVE! ;)

Associate
Ok well I just watched Gove suggest that immigration could be brought down to the tens of thousands. In 2015 43,000 people came to the UK on the basis of family visa, ie children, wives etc of UK residents. The immigration from Non EU countries was nearly 200,000. How exactly is Brexit going to reduce immigration to the tens of thousands?

I am not suggesting anyone has claimed immigration will be 0 but the clear implicit message of the Leave campaign is that immigration will be substantially reduced. In my view that is a fallacy.
And Cameron also directly stated he could get immigration down to 10's of thousands while still in the EU despite having absolutely no control on immigration and even stated he simply did not accept the fact we couldn't control migration. Both sides lied but there's still obvious reasons to believe the leave camp would have better controls on migration if we get out. So we've lost the factual and fair assesment (again, blame both sides and shame on cameron for not being neutral in the first place) but we can still work out which is generally going to be the more suitable side for different policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom