Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (June Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 794 45.1%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 965 54.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
How is it funny? :confused:

Still a bit early for you? :p

Scorza suggested that the polls have been manipulated to produce a particular result, that is a conspiracy theory. There's no two ways about it.

He implied that could be the case by using the word "to" rather than "that could". And then got two conspiracy theorist/tin foil hat responses and a link to a David Icke video.......Even without the implication, it's a fair point to make given it's exactly what happened with the Scottish referendum.

Just reflects the increasingly disgruntled tone around here, somebody said I was under the influence and called me an idiot when we were having a totally normal debate about farmers the other day. Go figure.

Associate
Interesting piece here by Toby Young, well-articulated compared to most in the leave camp.

Nick Clegg (Remain obviously) correctly said this would come down to value judgements. For me there are three main value judgements - migration, sovereignty, and the economy.

We are likely to have greater control on migration and greater sovereignty outside the EU, so what about the economy? It seems clear in the short term there will some degree of negative reaction from the markets until they adjust. In the medium to longer term I expect reasonable performance, neither fantastic(as some in Leave suggest), or abysmal(as Remain would have you believe). Those are my value judgements and that's why I lean to the Leave camp.

Caporegime
Example please

Off the top of my head:

They said only 13,000 immigrants from Poland a year would come to the UK.

They released a disgusting borderline-racist report saying that EU immigrants were a net gain for the economy while Commonwealth immigrants were a net drain. When you looked at the figures they were looking at Commonwealth immigrants who came over in the '50s and '60s who were now old and retired and totally ignored the contribution they'd made during their working lives.

V F

V F

Soldato
Ck8TCIXWgAc9IfF.jpg:medium

It feels like the kind of people voting out are the kind of people who are unhappy with their lot in life. They're going to be bitterly disappointed when leaving the EU doesn't conjure a bunch of unicorns.

Is that why Dyson, JCB, as well as John Mills, millionaire Labour donor and founder of John Mills Limited (JML), as well as Joe Foster from Reebok that wants out? because their lives are so unhappy?

Soldato
Still a bit early for you? :p

I'll have you know I was up at the crack of dawn! :p

He implied that could be the case by using the word "to" rather than "that could". And then got two conspiracy theorist/tin foil hat responses and a link to a David Icke video.......Even without the implication, it's a fair point to make given it's exactly what happened with the Scottish referendum.

Just reflects the increasingly disgruntled tone around here, somebody said I was under the influence and called me an idiot when we were having a totally normal debate about farmers the other day. Go figure.

Is there any proof that this happened with the Scottish referendum? I don't know.

It's more to do with what I explained about how it is difficult and frustrating it is to discuss a point when the refuting argument is founded on speculation or a theory based on the same tiresome 'omg the establishment lies to us'. It just supports the view that people want someone to blame and are voting accordingly.

Soldato
Is there any proof that this happened with the Scottish referendum? I don't know.

I haven't seen any research on it (haven't looked tbh) but the opinion polls did get it pretty wrong. I wouldn't place too much faith in the current swing in favour of Brexit (not saying that you did).

It's more to do with what I explained about how it is difficult and frustrating it is to discuss a point when the refuting argument is founded on speculation or a theory based on the same tiresome 'omg the establishment lies to us'. It just supports the view that people want someone to blame and are voting accordingly.

Fair enough, there are a lot of idiots on both sides, which is to be expected.

I think the counter frustration from many Brexit supporters (me included) is that a lot of remainers will just put way too much faith in "official" or supposedly "respected" organisations without actually looking into the detail and making a reasoned judgement on their own. It's easy to say "but the IMF says, but the LSE says, but the FT says" but if you don't have the slightest grasp that these organisations can often have other motives (IMF & Greece, LSE and cash, FT and big business, for example) then you're a bit naive.

Caporegime
I haven't seen any research on it (haven't looked tbh) but the opinion polls did get it pretty wrong. I wouldn't place too much faith in the current swing in favour of Brexit (not saying that you did).

The Scottish polls weren't that bad. They under-estimated the final lead for 'No'; but there were hardly any polls showing a 'Yes', and the polling averages always stayed solidly in the 'No' range.

Contrast that with the Brexit polling and you'll see far more showing a Leave lead. A week tomorrow we'll know how accurate they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom