Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
I like how the Remain camp bill lower house prices as a bad thing. For an awful lot of people in the UK who have yet to buy a property, this is an extremely good thing.

Soldato
House prices are a dangerous thing for politicians. Whilst I agree that for many lower house prices would be a boon the problem there is more likely to be demand exceeding supply.

But for mortgage payers a a sudden house price drop could be catostrophic. Your existing equity could be wiped out, you may end up in negative equity. The bank may require an additional payment to return the loan to equity ratio.

If you do end up in near zero or negative equity you are uttlery unable to move house so your flexibility for economic opportunity is destroyed because moving house would cement your loss and cost you money. No one who's equity is wiped out or goes into negative equity will ever forgive the party that lead them there.

All that said the Remain campaign is getting caried away with it's apocolyptic pronouncements. If we vote leave we don't just jump out a window on 24th June. We have a 2 year negotiation where you would imagine anyone with anything to lose, which is a lot of people, will try and make decisions to make the process as risk free and painless as possible. A massive UK recession won't help the Germans sell more cars or anyone else in the EU who enjoys the UK market.

Caporegime
I like how the Remain camp bill lower house prices as a bad thing. For an awful lot of people in the UK who have yet to buy a property, this is an extremely good thing.

Sensible management of house prices by increased building and other policy changes would be a good thing; house price falls induced by economic troubles won't be. This is because the cost of borrowing will also go up so it'll actually become harder not easier to buy a house.

Caporegime
Sensible management of house prices by increased building and other policy changes would be a good thing; house price falls induced by economic troubles won't be. This is because the cost of borrowing will also go up so it'll actually become harder not easier to buy a house.

Other policy changes such as controlling immigration so that we can actually build new houses at a rate to match population growth maybe?

Soldato
Other policy changes such as controlling immigration so that we can actually build new houses at a rate to match population growth maybe?

Always tooting that trumpet :rolleyes:

So ignoring that economic migration is not the main cause of demand for housing and ignoring the contradicting argument made against migration, along the lines of 'penniless migrants coming here and doing a 14 person house share so they save money to send back home!':

Do you think that we will end up with a points based on skill system for entering or that we will end up negotiating a deal without free movement?

Like realistically. If you do, i would love to hear why you are so confident in it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Oh, another morning, another story from Osbourne about how if we live it will be a DIY recession.

Have they really nothing to add other than one apocalypse after another?

Caporegime
Always tooting that trumpet :rolleyes:

So ignoring that economic migration is not the main cause of demand for housing and ignoring the contradicting argument made against migration, along the lines of 'penniless migrants coming here and doing a 14 person house share so they save money to send back home!':

Do you think that we will end up with a points based on skill system for entering or that we will end up negotiating a deal without free movement?

Like realistically. If you do, i would love to hear why you are so confident in it.

You don't think that having more people means you need more homes? What's the name of that river in Egypt?

What I think is that if we Leave then we can come up with an immigration system that works for the UK. The immigration system we currently have, which came from Brussels, isn't working for us imo.

Soldato
So ignoring that economic migration is not the main cause of demand for housing

I'm pretty sure migrants need housing regardless of their category? It's daft to try and argue that the 7.5 million foreign born (2011 Census) have had no impact on the demand for housing... even if we do benefit from them overall.

Clearly there are various reasons why housebuilding is unable or unwilling to meet demand, but more people must surely add to the overall demand. :confused:

Why do we even need a deal?

Soldato
The River Nile? Don't tell me you are working your way toward some immigration scare bomb from Egypt to fund your next point :D.

Well, if i am in 'The Nile' with this point, you must be talking from the Wadi: Shait. :)

As for more people = more homes needed. Given economic migrants do larger house shares, a significant number bring construction skill sets, many others do labourer jobs and it has been proven and linked a lot over the last few weeks, that these same migrants generate more money in tax compare to what they receive and so also funding new housing developments by the government. I would imagine they contribute more positively to the housing situation than you do.

So in the end, you dont know what system you want, you have no idea what we might end up with, just it will definitely be better and will work?

Last edited:
Soldato
I mean shock horror look at Japan. They do it alone and get on just fine. Especially considering how much its neighbours hate them. Australia is another one. Ironically having been to those two places they are the two places I would most want to live and I have been all across mainland Europe and America. You stay in Europe you are always going to be in Germany's shadow as they are at the centre of mainland Europe. We are an island which is of no similarity apart from the fact we are closest to mainland Europe. We have more in common with Australia/America/Japan and they are thousands of miles away.

Immigration is not a bother to me. I live in Boston Lincolnshire which has its claim to fame of being the most diverse place culturally outside of London and I have gotten used to it. In fact I like some aspects of the diverse culture. For me it is a simple case of making decisions for our country by our people.

Speaking of Japan, they're in on it too! :eek: :eek:

Brexit poses 'major risk' to global growth, warns Bank of Japan chief

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36354947

Caporegime
Have they really nothing to add other than one apocalypse after another?

I do wonder whether Osborne and Cameron have simply painted themselves into a corner? They've spent so long spinelessly appeasing the Euroskeptic wing of the Conservative party that they can't engage in the positive case for Europe without seeming like raging hypocrits. Or they're so wedded to the deeply negative campaigning that won them the last election that they can't break the mould? I don't know.

But I do think that their unrelenting banging of the same drum is beginning to hurt the Remain camp. Yes, the economic costs of Brexit will be high but endlessly repeating it over and over seems to me to be turning the electorate off.

Soldato
Agreed, but reducing population growth will.

As for more people = more homes needed. Given economic migrants; do larger house shares, a significant number bring construction skill sets, many others do labourer jobs and it has been proven and linked a lot over the last few weeks, that these same migrants generate more money in tax compare to what they receive and so also funding new housing developments by the government. I would imagine they contribute more positively to the housing situation than you do.

Caporegime
I do wonder whether Osborne and Cameron have simply painted themselves into a corner? They've spent so long spinelessly appeasing the Euroskeptic wing of the Conservative party that they can't engage in the positive case for Europe without seeming like raging hypocrits. Or they're so wedded to the deeply negative campaigning that won them the last election that they can't break the mould? I don't know.

But I do think that their unrelenting banging of the same drum is beginning to hurt the Remain camp. Yes, the economic costs of Brexit will be high but endlessly repeating it over and over seems to me to be turning the electorate off.

Totally, I am sick of hearing all this doom and gloom, just come out and tell me WHY we should stay, if there are positives, tell me.

Soldato
Today I learned that 330,000 people moving into a country each year don't need more houses because they just do a house share

And they contribute more through tax per house they take up, receive less from the government compared to what they pay in than a British citizen and bring skill-sets that contribute to construction.

Give me 100 of them over one of you any day :)

If there is not enough houses being made, then the fault lies elsewhere

Permabanned
Do people really want to see English population expansion to the extent the place looks like Bangladesh, population density wise? Green field sites continually built on? Continuous building projects to accommodate never ending immigration? I certainly do not. The country is over populated even right now for my tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom