Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Lower wage bills from free movement in the EU resulting from an over supply of workers.

I know this is the general perception and is oft repeated, but apart from some small depression of wages at the bottom end of the scale, and in localised areas, the actual evidence doesn't seem to point to this effect happening in general.

Permabanned
Are the LSE impartial given they have received EU funding?

Stuart Rose, the leader of BSE is on camera saying limiting immigration would boost wages.

The idea that immigration doesn't lower wages is questionable.

Does supply and demand not apply to the labour market?

Caporegime
Are the LSE impartial given they have received EU funding?

Every reputable university in the UK receives EU funding; ignoring all academic opinion because of that is stupid. In any case:

CEP’s Brexit work is funded by the UK Economic and
Social Research Council. As a whole the CEP, receives
less than 5% of its funding from the European Union.
The EU funding is from the European Research Council
for academic projects and not for general funding or
consultancy.​

Stuart Rose, the leader of BSE is on camera saying limiting immigration would boost wages.

He's wrong. The NIER review estimates that Brexit would lead to wages being 3.1-3.8% lower in real terms under a FTA arrangement and 4.6-6.3% lower under a WTO arrangement by 2030.

The idea that immigration doesn't lower wages is questionable.

Does supply and demand not apply to the labour market?

Not naively applied, no. The reason for this is very simple: people in employment create demand for more people in employment. As always, empirical evidence trumps theorising and the empirical evidence is emphatic: immigration has not lowered wages.

Last edited:
Soldato
No of course they can't be, they would be unlikley to bite the hand that feeds them.

:rolleyes:

Mr Jack answered that one days ago, if you look at the % of EU funding they get compared to their overall budget, it's tiny, so not really the hold over them you are inferring.

But it wouldn't be like you to be disingenuous with the facts now to support your agenda would it....

Soldato

You're going to have to explain this one to me. Why would productivity increase (I assume when you say it will change you mean increase) as the result of having fewer people available to fill each unskilled vacancy?

Its not so simple. Skilled immigration tends to increase productivity, and consequently wages, as it is easier for companies to fill positions like you say.

The challenges come when you have a large labour supply, and particularly when you have a large supply on low skilled labour.

When company a company wants to scale up or become more efficient, it has a choice between investing in skills of existing staff; getting new technology; other productivity improvements such as process overhaul; or hiring more staff to pick up the slack.
A large labour supply means that this equation is more often slanted towards hiring a new person.

This has the effect of companies delaying investments that would improve productivity.
This effect is particularly acute when talking about low skilled labour, as the labour is cheaper in general, and the technology investments tends to be very expensive in comparison with the cost of staff.

This means that a large amount of immigration, and unskilled immigration in particular, depresses productivity growth and wages. This suppression is not uniform, it effects those on low incomes much more than those on higher incomes - who may in fact still be experiencing the positive effects of immigration.

This paper analyses the effect immigration has on the wages of native workers. Unlike most previous work, we estimate wage effects along the distribution of native wages. We derive a flexible empirical strategy that does not rely on pre-allocating immigrants to particular skill groups. In our empirical analysis, we demonstrate that immigrants downgrade considerably upon arrival. As for the effects on native wages, we find a pattern of effects whereby immigration depresses wages below the 20th percentile of the wage distribution but leads to slight wage increases in the upper part of the wage distribution. This pattern mirrors the evidence on the location of immigrants in the wage distribution. We suggest that possible explanations for the overall slightly positive effect on native wages, besides standard immigration surplus arguments, could involve deviations of immigrant remuneration from contribution to production either because of initial mismatch or immigrant downgrading.

http://restud.oxfordjournals.org/content/80/1/145.abstract

Taking a macro view of wages doesn't tell the whole picture.

Soldato
@ Judgeneo

Yes, that's what the LSE report says as well iirc, and what I said above, there is some depression in the lower end of the wage scale but overall there is little effect positively or negatively.

To be fair, as an unintended consequence I would say the NMW has had an effect on depressing wages at the lower end of the scale as well, as a lot of employers use it as the maximum wage rather than the minimum.

Permabanned
But to tell everyone that immigration doesn't lower wages is clearly not true then.

An over supply of cheap migrant labour and the NMW is a perfect storm.

Soldato
But to tell everyone that immigration doesn't lower wages is clearly not true then.

Overall it doesn't...there is some depression at the low end and some increase at the top end....so on average, no it doesn't.

And the caveat of the lower end wage depression has been admitted many many times on here when talking about this issue

Caporegime
This means that a large amount of immigration, and unskilled immigration in particular, depresses productivity growth and wages. This suppression is not uniform, it effects those on low incomes much more than those on higher incomes - who may in fact still be experiencing the positive effects of immigration.

http://restud.oxfordjournals.org/content/80/1/145.abstract

Taking a macro view of wages doesn't tell the whole picture.

There is some research that find a small negative effect of immigration on the wages of lower skilled workers - this is true - however the literature is hardly uniform on this (see pages 9-12 of the report I linked above) and the larger scale empirical studies have generally found no effect.

Moreover, even if the effect is real the predicted damaging effect of Brexit on real wages is much larger than the largest negative effects found in any reputable study so choosing Brexit to limit immigration is very likely to have a negative affect on wage levels.

Soldato
Anyway Oldcoals, where is your evidence for this term 'over supply of labour' ?

If we had an oversupply of labour that is depressing wages, then we would have a rising unemployment figure, which we don't have.

So it might be a great soundbite, but can you back it up as it doesn't seem to have any actual basis.

Caporegime
Yes, that's what the LSE report says as well iirc, and what I said above, there is some depression in the lower end of the wage scale but overall there is little effect positively or negatively.

No, the LSE study finds that there is no significantly significant correlation between levels of local immigration and changes in wages among the low skilled UK born population and what correlation there is points to wages actually being increased by immigration.

Permabanned
Overall it doesn't...there is some depression at the low end and some increase at the top end....so on average, no it doesn't.

And the caveat of the lower end wage depression has been admitted many many times on here when talking about this issue

But those people who are seeing their wages depressed, your statement isn't much comfort.

Soldato
But those people who are seeing their wages depressed, your statement isn't much comfort.

But when making national decisons, you have to look at the bigger picture, no? Not just 1 part.

Also, in case you missed it (as I lost connection) on what basis are you determining we have an over supply of cheap labour?

Soldato
Cameron should have held to his word and told the EU it's bye bye unless he got what he went to negotiate. I could understand the EU not bending to the will of the UK because then anyone could start making demands. However it would have set a chain of events into action allowing other countries to call out what they see wrong with the EU and actually get some change.

Cameron could win this ballot no problem if he positioned himself that the EU still has a long way to go and we will fight for change, but need to stay in. He has been far too forgiving of it since he went to make those negotiations.

Soldato
Just what exactly do our big firms get out of being in the EU other than the free trade deal? I'm sure there are numerous reasons but I don't have a clue. If we left then surely we would keep the free trade as with Norway?

I work for a a global German company and they have told us they are not too concerned about Brexit.

"It's some additional shipping paperwork but no big deal" was what one of the board of directors said during a visit. I was really quite surprised.

Permabanned
But when making national decisons, you have to look at the bigger picture, no? Not just 1 part.

Also, in case you missed it (as I lost connection) on what basis are you determining we have an over supply of cheap labour?

So you expect people who are seeing their wages lowered to vote for a system which contributes to that?

The free movement of labour within the EU, there is a limitless supply of cheap labour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom