The EU Referendum: Polling Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Went down to vote at 7am, still queuing at 9.30am and had to leave for gatwick, no chance I'll get to vote now :(

You can apply for an emergency proxy vote until about 5 this afternoon so someone else can do it for you if you want.

Voted leave this morning. I've always been leave but i admit i did go more towards the center of the argument in the last few days. If it's remain which i think it's looking like it will be then i hope it's close because the EU need a kick up the backside and change.

Ideally it needs to be a bit smaller with only the strongest economies included but that wont happen.

Either way, if we remain or leave then we will still continue to be swept along in the currents of world events that we have virtually no control over anyway.

Associate
Voted remain via a postal vote. For me it's not a matter of whether Britain could survive outside of the EU but whether it would be a fairer and more prosperous country. I don't think it would.

I also don't buy the argument that the EU is undemocratic. It's certainly more democratic that the UK, where we have an unelected head of state, an unelected second house, an indirectly elected prime minister and a voting system that allows a party with 12% of the vote to only hold 0.25% of the power. I hope that we'll address some of these problems after the referendum.

You think the EU has a democratic basis? How can you think this? The EU Commission is comprised of 28 unelected individuals who cannot be held individually to account, and further cannot be held to account by the UK voters, but yet have significant power to impose EU wide legislation on the UK. How is this a democratic system? If you care about democracy, how can you vote to hand any power over UK affairs to an unelected body? That's a vote against democracy.

I completely agree with you that the UK system of democracy needs reform. But our democracy is not furthered or helped by the unelected and unaccountable EU Commission imposing rules and regulations on the UK.

Soldato
Juncker already explicitly stated that there will be no further chance for renegotiation of Britain's deal.

Those voting to remain are signing Britain's death warrant.

Statements like this are what I dislike most about the Leave campaign.

Associate
No he didnt. He said that if Britain votes to leave there will be no negotiation.

No he didn't. He explicitly stated that there will no further changes permitted to the rubbish deal obtained by Cameron in February.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-juncker-idUKKCN0Z81G4

EXACT words:

"British policymakers and British voters have to know that there will be no kind of renegotiation," Juncker said of the deal on Feb. 20 that gave Britain an explicit exemption from the founding goal of "ever closer union", offered concessions on the welfare rights of migrant workers and safeguards for the City of London financial centre.

"We have concluded a deal with the prime minister. He got the maximum he could receive and we gave the maximum we could give. So there will be no renegotiation, not on the agreement we found in February, nor as far as any kind of treaty negotiations are concerned," Juncker said.

Associate
No he didn't. He explicitly stated that there will no further changes permitted to the rubbish deal obtained by Cameron in February.

EXACT words:

"British policymakers and British voters have to know that there will be no kind of renegotiation," Juncker said of the deal on Feb. 20 that gave Britain an explicit exemption from the founding goal of "ever closer union", offered concessions on the welfare rights of migrant workers and safeguards for the City of London financial centre.

"We have concluded a deal with the prime minister. He got the maximum he could receive and we gave the maximum we could give. So there will be no renegotiation, not on the agreement we found in February, nor as far as any kind of treaty negotiations are concerned," Juncker said.

Associate
I voted leave but do now somewhat regret it, for Britain I'd feel it's the right answer but I do worry about the impact on the other regions as well. Still, a vote is a vote among millions so mine alone won't change the tide and I'm happy enough knowing I feel it's part right anyway as it's the right decision (in my mind) for this country.

I convinced my girlfriend to vote remain as well, she doesn't care about politics as much, has no idea what is gonna happen if we leave and even trying to explain it she doesn't really seem to be able to make a decision so I told her to just vote for the status quo. Evened out in the end. Gonna be an interesting vote but what is with remainers still trying to be condascending even when it's no longer going to sway anyone? Are they just like that normally?

Soldato
We won't influence anything, a vote to remain is a vote for full integration IMO.
If that's what people want then fair enough.

Those voting to leave are signing Britain's death warrant!

:eek:

Except we can still leave at anytime going forward so if there is a significant change that we don't want/agree with then we can just walk away. Those voting to leave who are not absolutely 100% convinced that leaving is the right thing are the ones making a mistake as getting back in would be much more challenging and I suspect would involve us having both the Euro and Schengen forced on us.

Caporegime
Your scare mongering and project fear totally lacks subtlety and nuance, and, more importantly, evidence.

Great response that. Top notch.

We know the British Consulate in Ankara has a dedicated team working on Turkey's accession to the EU. We know that senior politicians in Brussels want an EU army. We know that the Eurozone is in a mess economically and doesn't seem to be able to sort itself out. We know that Europe is in the midst of a migrant crisis and doesn't seem to be able to sort itself out. Predictions are based on evidence of what's going on at the moment, extrapolated based on the direction the EU has taken during recent history.

Soldato

EXACT words:

Yes we know.

That has got absolutely nothing to do with future EU reform after a remain vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom