The EU Referendum: Polling Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'm undecided. I've voted Remain because I don't want to Leave. But I want change. So on that basis I should have voted Leave to 'send a message' that the people aren't happy. But I was worried my vote could be the straw that caused the Brexit so I voted Remain. But if everyone does the same as me it will look like a massive win for David Cameron's smug Remain face. **** knows.

Unfortunately i'm in the same boat. I've voted remain as i don't think the leave campaign have demonstrated a good enough plan on what to do if we leave.

But i disagree with a lot of the European policies.

Soldato
TBF with the scare the EU has had from this referendum and the massive rise in anti-EU sentiments from the mainland, i would be surprised if they didnt have some some sort of reform in the next few years.

Don
Just out of curiosity how accurate was the OCUK on the previous general election?

We got the result right (Tories win)
Below is how we predicted vs the official vote share

Conservative 42.15% / 36.9%
Green Party 6.17% / 3.8%
Labour 18.41% / 30.4%
Liberal Democrats 7.01% / 7.9%
Scottish National Party 3.87% / 4.7%
UKIP 16.11% / 12.6%

So we were more accurate than the pollsters.

Suspended
TBF with the scare the EU has had from this referendum and the massive rise in anti-EU sentiments from the mainland, i would be surprised if they didnt have some some sort of reform in the next few years.

Tusk said on Twitter that they'd be foolish not to listen and learn from recent events. Juncker is just carrying on hitting the Cognac and being a dick, though.

Soldato
I've voted remain. Both short and medium term I think the UK is better off in the EU than out foraging for itself and negotiating from a position of weakness. Opposing countries negotiate for their own economic betterment and I can't see the UK agreeing prosperous trade agreements any time soon. My family has benefited from immigration and I live in what has been the epicentre of London immigration for centuries, so I don't have any immigration concerns.

That said, I've not got a clue as to the long term viability of the EU and I have no doubt that it should change itself for the better - will it? who knows, but a default in Greece before the Iberian peninsular has sufficiently shored itself up could cause the EU to have no other option than to restructure itself. We'll just have to see how that one plays out. I simply feel the immediate and mid-term risk to be too significant and damaging to even consider the long term unknowns right now.

Soldato
We got the result right (Tories win)
Below is how we predicted vs the official vote share

Conservative 42.15% / 36.9%
Green Party 6.17% / 3.8%
Labour 18.41% / 30.4%
Liberal Democrats 7.01% / 7.9%
Scottish National Party 3.87% / 4.7%
UKIP 16.11% / 12.6%

I fully expect to see a bit of time in tonights/tomorrows reporting for us:

"And now we go live to the OcUK forums..." :p

Soldato
I think it's been clear for the last week that Remain are well ahead - when you consider what 'don't knows' are most likely to do, and the likelihood of a swing to the status quo the in final days/hours. It's been very disappointing how the media and most commentators have only focused on the headline poll results. These give the illusion that it's close. The pound has been strengthening against the dollar and euro all week, the bookies odds on Leave getting longer and longer all week, now 3.5 vs 0.2!

The real question now is whether the margin ends up being 2% or 8%, what happens to the Tory party and how the EU responds to the result.

Associate
Bugger me, you'd think it would have been enough time to have made up your mind but, nope. I'm looking at bits and bobs and still want to consider a few things.

Regarding science, sorry to be a bore and repeat this, but with the figure given here as Of the 1.6 million research papers published by UK authors between 2005 and 2014, 36.8 percent were internationally co-authored.

With the report from the Royal Society and the doughnut diagram here, can the UK only papers be factored in to have a diagram like so:

j1xTvVZ.jpg.png

Would that be accurate or wholly wrong? Help me, GD-Wan Kerknobbi. You're my only hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom