Poll: The EU Referendum: What Will You Vote? (New Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're willing to put cold hard cash on it?

Ok, i will pledge £50 to a charity of your choice if the Jungle gets moved to the UK. And you pledge £50 to UKIP if we leave the EU and it doesn't happen by the end of 2017

What do you say?

I say you quoted Platypus and then for some reason put my name in your reply...:p

And I'm not really going to bet on something I haven't said is going to happen! :D

Do you also think that Brits on these awful, min-wage jobs should be prepared to share a tiny little flat with 7 other people? Like the foreign workers are prepared to?

Why not? I don't get this way of thinking that everyone should have their own place with minimal effort.
I house shared in my 20s (even with my ex) with 3/4 other people for 4-5 years. Yes it got messy and there were arguments at times but overall it was great and it allowed me to save 30% + deposit on a big 2 bed flat in a nice(ish) part of town. I now live on my own and if I really want to I could be mortgage free before I'm 40.
And most of those people I house shared back in the day are in the same position. Think only 2 of my old housemates don't own their own place yet.

Why not? I don't get this way of thinking that everyone should have their own place with minimal effort.
I house shared in my 20s (even with my ex) with 3/4 other people for 4-5 years. Yes it got messy and there were arguments at times but overall it was great and it allowed me to save 30% + deposit on a big 2 bed flat in a nice(ish) part of town. I now live on my own and if I really want to I could be mortgage free before I'm 40.
And most of those people I house shared back in the day are in the same position. Think only 2 of my old housemates don't own their own place yet.

Sharing a house is one thing - did each person or couple have their own bedroom? We're talking about 7 or 8 people sharing a two bedroom flat here. I'd hate to live like that and I suspect the only reason why people tolerate is that they know it's temporary and they can return to their own country at any time.

Immigrants area not coming over, stealing low paid jobs. They take the jobs others don't want to do.

Frankly anyone that loses out on a job to someone that barely speaks English needs to look at themselves more and immigration less.

If there's a shortage of people to do a low paid job, guess what happens to the price of said low paid job?

Also immigrants taking jobs no one else wants to do is lefty forehead slapping drivel. The reason the job is unattractive is because over supply of cheap labour has forced the price through the floor.

If there's a shortage of people to do a low paid job, guess what happens to the price of said low paid job?

Also immigrants taking jobs no one else wants to do is lefty forehead slapping drivel. The reason the job is unattractive is because over supply of cheap labour has forced the price through the floor.

Actually the movement of "people as commodities", to meet economic demand, could be seen as quite right wing thinking.

Like I said before. If your unemployed and refuse to do a low paid job, you lose your JSA. So the jobs should be filled anyway.

This is not supported by any empirical evidence. The impact of immigration on wages has been extremely small. The fall in the quality of pay and conditions for these jobs began while immigration was low and is driven by other factors. The major ones being the collapse of union power and the increasing drive to outsource such work so that these workers are no longer seen as co-workers to their high paid and more influential colleagues. This restructuring has also removed the upward pathways for low paid workers, changing what were entry level jobs into lifelong careers.

Actually the movement of "people as commodities", to meet economic demand, could be seen as quite right wing thinking.

I think it's just pragmatic - arguing in favour of "people as commodities" is imo right-wing thinking, which is why it's so bizarre that so many people who regard themselves as lefties are in favour of it, I mean take Corbyn's Labour Party as example.

Of course i have an answer, we did it to death during the general election, so don't be so glib. But because you have a rubbish memory i guess i'll to say it again, the border force is effective otherwise the Jungle would be empty and we'd be swamped by ***********, it's just they are under-staffed and under-funded. UKIP suggested a solution by increasing their funding and hiring more from ex-police, ex-military and ex-prison guides, which are many are unemployed right now.
So again, no actual solution, just a proposition. Ok it's one idea. One that might or might not work.

That has a snowballs chance in hell in happing platypus and you know it, the uproar, the riots and field battles that would happen. The PM knows he would lose his job in an instant and you worry about the rise of the far-right in the UK now? Just wait and see what would happen if they try to move the Jungle over here. Brits are a patient and tolerant lot, but if gimmirants try to treat people in the UK like they have in Calais, they'll learn the true meaning of regret when the at the receiving end of a hiding.
I merely posited it as one possible solution. It's really not a large leap to see that once their obligations to the UK under Dublin are ended, France will move the border. What happens after that is anybodies guess. But if you think France are going to make an effort to stop the immigrants coming here you're mistaken. And if you think that all it's going to take is a simple increase in funding to the border force than you're naieve as well.

There's that word again. You're not clever, and you're not funny; use proper English.

Edit: I don't actually care about your personal situation so its not relevant.

Last edited:
So again, no actual solution, just a proposition. Ok it's one idea. One that might or might not work.

:confused: Of course if its a solution, just not one that's been implemented yet because we're not out of the EU. Once we are then we can go ahead and implement it. A solution is a solution whether or not it's in effect right now. Is english not your first language or something?

I merely posited it as one possible solution. It's really not a large leap to see that once their obligations to the UK under Dublin are ended, France will move the border. What happens after that is anybodies guess. But if you think France are going to make an effort to stop the immigrants coming here you're mistaken. And if you think that all it's going to take is a simple increase in funding to the border force than you're naieve as well.
France cannot move it's border to another country it has no control over, so no, it's not even remotely possible it's going to happen. Frances border stops at there end of their english channel and ours start on our end. We just need a border force to have the balls to turn back anyone trying to get into the country.

There's that word again. You're not clever, and you're not funny; use proper English.
New words are created all the time and entered in to the Oxford dictionary. It's an apt word that is now part of the lexicon and it describes them perfectly.

Your family and you have got what you want out of this country, and you want to reduce that opportunity for others. Hide behind the guise of controlled immigration if you need too.

My parents came into this country as skilled workers, i'm a skilled worker, my fiance is a skilled worker, we've all would have passed the most thorough points based immigration system. I wouldn't mind at all more immigration like me and my family. I want opportunity for people who wants to come here who are skilled, benefit the country greatly and contribute. Why would i want to let in unskilled trash that have issues with behaving like human beings? we're not the garbage bin of the world no matter what. Just because they want to come here doesn't give them automatic right be here regardless of who they are

Last edited:
:confused: Of course if its a solution, just not one that's been implemented yet because we're not out of the EU. Once we are then we can go ahead and implement it. A solution is a solution whether or not it's in effect right now. Is english not your first language or something?
Yes ok I'll give you that one, though I meant to say it's not a proven solution, which I felt was fairly obvious anyway but I'll be more specific in future.

So UKIPs proposed solution of (doubling?) increasing the border force will magically solve the problem of immigrants. I can't find any sort of data on by how much, perhaps you know how many extra border officers will be required (and provided by UKIP) to hit that magic number that will suddenly be able to cope with immigration? When I asked what you thought would happen I thought you'd have the whit to include some sort of time frame, but obviously that was a leap to far. How long do you think the situation will be brought under control, should the UK leave the EU. And more to the point, how do you think this is going to happen, given that it's highly unlikely - not impossible I'll grant - that UKIP will get into power? Do you forsee a UKIP push forcing other parties to adopt - in their manifesto perhaps - a points based immigration policy? There doesn't appear to be much appetite for it, other than in various scavenges to try and beat down UKIP when they were doing so well.

France cannot move it's border to another country it has no control over, so no, it's not even remotely possible it's going to happen. Frances border stops at there end of their english channel and ours start on our end. We just need a border force to have the balls to turn back anyone trying to get into the country.
It wouldn't actually need to move the border, just the border checks from France side to UK side. If that happens, and there is every reason to expect them to do so, once they stop bothering to check immigrants exiting France, where do you think those checks will fall?

New words are created all the time and entered in to the Oxford dictionary. It's an apt word that is now part of the lexicon and it describes them perfectly.
It's a pathetic cheap shot, so perfectly apt that you use it.

Last edited:
I'm sticking with what I said. If you are unemployed and refuse to do a minimum wage job, you will lose your JSA.

In practice, all you have to do is attend the interview, and refuse to opt out of the Working Time Directive, or to be on call 24/7. Bingo, you won't get the job - a Pole will take it instead. But you won't lose your JSA so long as you apply.

Naturally you can't sanction someone for being unsuccessful. You can't compete against these Polish (etc) workers who seem to think UK min wage is a fortune; they'll bend over backwards to get the job.

Even if you discount pay entirely, the conditions attached to these jobs (such as being on call every day; on zero hour contracts for life), can be as brutal as the employer likes, because Poles will take these jobs - they will fight over them.

Influx of cheap labour = race to the bottom; rampant exploitation. When has it ever been different? The only solution is regulation, which the current government are very reluctant to increase.

The only people actively seeking to further regulate working conditions are the EU.

Turkey has taken in at least 2.2 million refugees. It's costing them billions a year and they're not getting the help they need from the international community. I'm not surprised that they're angry.

And people here moan about taking in a few thousand.

Turkey has taken in at least 2.2 million refugees. It's costing them billions a year and they're not getting the help they need from the international community. I'm not surprised that they're angry.

And people here moan about taking in a few thousand.

As is their obligation according to the Geneva Convention. The alone is giving £1.2bn to support refugees from Syria, including support to Turkey. Besides, I thought Turkey was now in receipt of $billions from the EU to support refugees locally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom