The Expanse

Associate
Definitely buy them if you've not read them already, the last full book is out in a week so I suspect there will be offers on the previous books on Kindle etc, and there is a book collecting all the short stories (some of which explain bits that happened between or before the main books) coming out in March.

If you're more an audio person the audio books are quite well done as well.

Definitely gonna be keeping my eyes open for some deals! I've never listened to an audio book so could potentially give that a go too.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Wait...it's this week?

It is indeed, "The first episode will release on Dec. 10 and the series finale will air on Friday, Jan. 14, 2022".

6 episodes is not enough. If I could tear myself away from gaming I'd invest in the books, but with kids and short attention span I struggle to pick up a book. Might make an exception though, especially if the series leaves me hanging for more.

Soldato
It is indeed, "The first episode will release on Dec. 10 and the series finale will air on Friday, Jan. 14, 2022".

6 episodes is not enough. If I could tear myself away from gaming I'd invest in the books, but with kids and short attention span I struggle to pick up a book. Might make an exception though, especially if the series leaves me hanging for more.

This has really crept up on me, this thread is a testament to what a massive Expanse fan I am but the last 5/6 weeks seem to have vanished and it's finally upon us.

The books flow really well and can read through them in short time, I did them on my breaks at work in 30 minute segments.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Excellent first episode, very good at building tension and bringing us up to speed with the characters and setting after season 5. It also nice just to have the crew together after the last few seasons when they keep splitting them up.

Please don't go to **** like last year.

Soldato
For me it was a rather disappointing start. After S5 I wasn't expecting much fidelity to the books, but this really didn't resemble anything that I read at all. Sees they're trying to bring in elements of Book 6, 7 and 8 (Laconia) but in the process writing a totally new tangent. Obviously a huge hole left by Cas Anwar's departure but having a
conflicted Naomi doubling up as pilot doesn't really cut it. At the end of S5 it looked like they were going to write the character of Bull into that part.
And I didn't really get the
tension between Naomi and Peaches, that certainly isn't present in the books. Past actions were forgiven and she is accepted as a member of the Roci family.

Can only hope it improves, but with only 6 x 48 min episodes, they are going to have to push hard.

Caporegime
No Binge = NO hype from me.

loved the scene of
The engine powering up, what a great scene
the chunk of metal slamming against the side of it was such a great detail to add tension

Soldato
Enjoyed the story, but what has happened to the budget?

The opening scene effects with the different species was pretty poor, but the part with Holden on the rock with the drive - it looked like an episode of Doctor Who filmed in a quary!

There was no weightlessness of space, just an actor moving around a set. Hopefully the money is being saved for some later episodes :)

Associate
And I didn't really get the
tension between Naomi and Peaches, that certainly isn't present in the books. Past actions were forgiven and she is accepted as a member of the Roci family.

Can only hope it improves, but with only 6 x 48 min episodes, they are going to have to push hard.

I think it was pretty well spelled out it's not a problem with Clarissa so much as the way she sees her as Alex's replacement (and obviously that's not a thread that a book parallel), not that Naomi has any real room to talk since while he didn't mention specifics, Amos did a damn good job of pointing out the half of the plot that wasn't snowballed forward by Holden having never met a button he didn't want to push are caused by decisions Naomi made on everyones behalf.

Soldato
Really enjoyed the 1st episode of the new season but Jesus Naomi just seems to lurch from one sodding whine to another :p

I wish marco had spaced her!! :eek:

edit: regarding the books, is it worth reading them even now having watched all the previous seasons. I’m loving the world it’s set in but if there’s no point reading the books now I’ll just have to find something else to read.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Naomi needs to be shot in the TV version. Same as Marco has gone all youth Hitler.

Amos steals every scene, that's a good thing.

Soldato
Naomi needs to be shot in the TV version. Same as Marco has gone all youth Hitler.

Amos steals every scene, that's a good thing.

Holden and Naomi are both dreadful in the TV series, some of the most cringe-inducing 'acting' I've seen in years. Shame as some of the cast are decent. I've given up on it and am just reading through the books now.

Unfortunately it started a bit too early before the current trend for spending money on sci-fi got momentum, and they ended up with these Z-list leads. Some of the supporting cast are good though, I don't know how they messed up casting the leads so badly.

Permabanned
I dont mind Holden, Naomi is pure emo whinger though and I didnt feel that way about her in the books.

Personally I would smash out all the books before hand. Books > TV/movie adaptations every single time. Though with the Expanse I have not minded the TV version at all, its been decent on the whole.....not like other things that have sucked recently (WOT hang your head in shame).

Back
Top Bottom