The Expanse

Associate
can't wait, but i'm a bit worried we won't get the in-depth story telling as well as a satisfying ending to the earth/mars v belters story and the humans v aliens. in shuch a short season

Soldato
can't wait, but i'm a bit worried we won't get the in-depth story telling as well as a satisfying ending to the earth/mars v belters story and the humans v aliens. in shuch a short season

Without spoilers based on my memory of the book, I think they can just about finish off the belter/inaros arc if the story telling is as tight and concise as they say it is.

With regards the protomolecule/builders - Not. A. Chance. :(

Soldato
Ive not read the books but knowing the show wont get to do all the books im gutted, this has been the best sci-fi story tv show in the last decade. Annoys me stuff like this gets cut short yet tripe like love island exists! >.<

Don
Ive not read the books but knowing the show wont get to do all the books im gutted, this has been the best sci-fi story tv show in the last decade. Annoys me stuff like this gets cut short yet tripe like love island exists! >.<

The TV series is going to end at a natural stopping point in the writing of the books though. IIRC almost 30 years passes from the end of the current "arc" to the new books. Most of the original cast aren't even in the new books, they just disappear / get written out in a few lines. A bigger issue is that the TV series never really goes into detail about the protomolecule and the story behind it, but focuses instead on the political drama. I agree though, best sci-fi we've had in a long time on TV.

Cas Anvar behaviour really hasn't helped though, as he was one of the few crew that would have made it into the next story arc and the story writers had to remove him from the show (I personally believe his departure from the show is the reason that the remaining episodes are condensed too - the story is too difficult to unpick without him in it)

Soldato
A bigger issue is that the TV series never really goes into detail about the protomolecule and the story behind it, but focuses instead on the political drama.
TBH, I'm quite happy with that.
I find a lot of sci-fi/set-in-space stories tend to go downhill once aliens and alien technology are introduced, as it takes focus away from the characters themselves. Freelancer is a classic example of that.
I quite like 'hard' sci-fi, in that it's about technology and how its advancement affects people - With The Expanse, they already had the tech and it's about how the widely differing different cultures have sprung up around that. Adding magic alien plot devices always seems a bit of a cop-out, especially when you can instead achieve some monumental plot direction just by hurling a big rock through space.

Commissario
I have a 4 month trip to a small island in the South Atlantic coming up early next year :(

I'm tempted to buy the books to help pass some of the time.
Definitely buy them if you've not read them already, the last full book is out in a week so I suspect there will be offers on the previous books on Kindle etc, and there is a book collecting all the short stories (some of which explain bits that happened between or before the main books) coming out in March.

If you're more an audio person the audio books are quite well done as well.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Definitely buy them if you've not read them already, the last full book is out in a week so I suspect there will be offers on the previous books on Kindle etc, and there is a book collecting all the short stories (some of which explain bits that happened between or before the main books) coming out in March.

If you're more an audio person the audio books are quite well done as well.
Going to grab them on kindle as they go on sale myself :D

Got so much back log of books to get through as it is so no rush.

Back
Top Bottom