• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The first "proper" Kepler news Fri 17th Feb?

Soldato
Ta Rroff. Glad I'm not waiting tbh. I don't see my current setup needing an upgrade for years. I'm definitely getting a GTX780 or HD8970 though :)

Surely if you're getting one of those you'll only be waiting a Year before upgrading. Not years :)

Either way, I hope NV get some actualy info out. I need an upgrade :)

http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=9181039&postcount=4846

160031t0u0fnff05o3p04f.jpg

1600327eyvw7yweewv4z11.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
It's obvious, like in the same way a 580 isn't much faster than a 570/6970:confused:
..and the 7970 isn't much fater than the 580. There is approximately the same performance difference between a GTX570 and 580 as there is between a 580 and 7970. The 580 is now overpiced for a last-gen card, and is only maintaining it's price because the 7970 is neither massively faster, nor better overall value in terms of performance per £. Out of the two I would swing towards the 7970, but that doesn't make it worthwhile. I think the 6950 is the only gaming card really worth buying at the moment.

Soldato
Bleeding edge has never been cheap. Where have you been? The 5870 wasn't going to be the fastest GPU at the time of launch (NV were late) then the GTX480 slipped in... at what price? Then the 6xxx series came along, still not beating out the competition on raw performance... and the 580 comes along... at what price? Now AMD have a faster card and they are charging... What price?

I don't like it either but it does not bother me, high end GPUs are for the rich and saps

Soldato
..and the 7970 isn't much fater than the 580. There is approximately the same performance difference between a GTX570 and 580 as there is between a 580 and 7970.
@stock yes, but oc both of them there is a big difference, we all know that and nearly everyone that gets one that reads here will oc it, you can be sure of that!

The 580 is now overpiced for a last-gen card, and is only maintaining it's price because the 7970 is neither massively faster, nor better overall value in terms of performance per £. Out of the two I would swing towards the 7970, but that doesn't make it worthwhile. I think the 6950 is the only gaming card really worth buying at the moment.

They are both massively overpriced, the 580 hasn't been reduced because they are eol, it's simply went back to the rrp rather than price gouged.

Nvidia is quite happy waiting for the diehards to purchase dwindling stocks.

Neither of them are worthwhile as they could/can both be bested by cheaper twin cards.

I have been using 6950>70 CrossFire for over a year now at a cost of less than £400, almost double the performance, on occasion more than double and cheaper than what the cheapest 580 was at the time@£447 much the same as the 7970's are now.

Even if they didn't unlock I would never have bought the 6970 or the 570/80 as performance gains are terrible for the price you pay, been their done it, won't get another t'shirt.;)

Considering oc'd 580's were/are not much faster than oc'd 480's, Nvidia still sold lots of them, the same way AMD will sell lots of 7970's which are considerably faster than 1 69** but slower than 2 69**.

Imho, it seems to me that you are on a one man crusade trying to stop folks purchasing the 7 series, your fighting a losing battle as they are selling, they may well not be flying off the shelves but they definitely are selling.

At the end of the day folks will purchase them no matter what you/I/others say, that's the nature of the enthusiast market, some will even ditch their 79** to jump straight on Kepler if it's faster.

Man of Honour
Thats just saying that the PCB/hardware has been designed to be capable of handling power requirements of upto 300watt not that it will actually use that.

Associate
Hi guys,
Am I right by saying the latest rumors are a 670ti to launch next month with better performance than a gtx580 and 7950 and priced around $300?
And the gtx580 successor won't be launching until the end of 2012(2 years after nvidia's last highend card).
Looks like my gtx580 will see me into 2013 if this is the scenario.
BTW I think it's mental guys on this forum fighting the corners of the red and green teams,reminds me of Apple fanbois who try to justify the price of ipads
and iphones lol.
Nearly every thread in the graphics subforum is being taken off topic by the same guys fighting over AMD V nvidia,enough is enough.

Soldato
BTW I think it's mental guys on this forum fighting the corners of the red and green teams,reminds me of Apple fanbois who try to justify the price of ipads
and iphones lol.
Nearly every thread in the graphics subforum is being taken off topic by the same guys fighting over AMD V nvidia,enough is enough.

Sad isn't it, nothing will change, always happens, ruins the topic.:(

Associate
Hi guys,
Am I right by saying the latest rumors are a 670ti to launch next month with better performance than a gtx580 and 7950 and priced around $300?

You are correct in thinking that this is 'the latest rumour'

I've always had NVIDIA cards for 15 years and have never had any problems with any of them after making informed purchases I wouldn't class myself as a fanboy but on the other hand why would I buy anything else.

Fanboys are more than likely to have owned maybe a couple of cards at most and based on their limited knowledge over a relatively short period of time will defend their corner to the death simply because that's what fanboys do.

Soldato
hahaha

$300 for a card that beats the 580 and 7950? If this new card does beat those two, NV will price accordingly. No way would they have it at $300.

But I sure as hell would love to see it. :p

Soldato
hahaha

$300 for a card that beats the 580 and 7950? If this new card does beat those two, NV will price accordingly. No way would they have it at $300.

But I sure as hell would love to see it. :p

I think they are saying marginally above 580, slightly below or equal to 7950
the above both came from an early mis-translation from sweclockers that was later corrected, but $300 is the alleged price point

to be honest, that is the kind of generation improvement in the mid range you'd expect, same as old gen performance but lower price

see GTX 460 vs GTX 280

Soldato
Who cares what wattage it draws? Seriously, I could not care less if it draws 500 if it has the raw power to match.

We are tech/gaming enthusiasts not green peace.

I care, not everyone has massive desktops and water cooling.

I went through that phase and got bored.

There are many people that prefer ease of M-ITX systems, yet still want good performance. There's a reason that market is increasing.

Besides, if you're a real enthusiast you wouldn't want a high power drawing card. It can potentiolly mean the card sucks are overclocking, will cost more and has more chances of dying.

When the hell the tech enthusiast turn into "I buy what's the most expensive".

When it use to be about getting something good and making it fantastic, through overclocking and modding. Many enthusiasts use to focus on buying mid-range gear that performed well already.

bru

bru

Soldato
they wont put a mid range card for less money than the previous high if its faster - sales of the GTX 5xx range - all of them , will die instantly.

even though it would seem madness, as you say the GTX5xx range sales will drop off drastically, but so will AMD sales if the similar performance can be had for substantially lower cost.

suddenly not such a silly idea if you have the only card on the market worth purchasing.

Back
Top Bottom