• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The first "proper" Kepler news Fri 17th Feb?

Associate
Personally I think this 670ti was a borked 680 that perhaps didn't quite match up performance wise to the 7970 hence the name change.

Still anythings better than an AMD/ATI/Radeon whatever you want to call it, buying one of those things does not compute lol.

Soldato
$299 does seem a little on the cheap side for 7950 performance, but that is mainly due to AMD's revised pricing.

With Fermi, NVidia started by launching the big guns. The GF100 based GTX480 and GTX470 offered stonking performance, but they also ran hot and were quite expensive

L
M
F
A
O

That's probably the most hilarious butter up of the Fermi launch I have ever seen.

Soldato
The 7900 series is the 28nm replacemrnt for the 40nm 5800 series. In between, AMD have bumped the prices up by 50% or so, but the GPU die size has remained pretty similar.

Likewise, the GTX660/670 will be the 28nm replacement for the 40nm GTX460. The 460 was £160 at launch, but if NVidia follow the same 50% price hike as AMD, the new rate will be £240.

I am merely saying that a $299/£240 launch price is possible, and may even provide very good profit margins for NVidia. The only thing that makes it seem unrealistic is AMD's current 7900 pricing. Perhaps I am dreaming, but GTX670 SLI for a few quid more than current 7970 would be pretty nice. That's what I am wating/hoping for anyway.

Even at the massively inflated price of £240 (compared to the GTX460), GTX670's would be bargains compared to 7900 launch pricing and will fly off the shelves. Meanwhile, the 7900's gather dust while most people wait for Kepler, or the subsequent AMD price chopping.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure myself, certainly can't fault either the price I paid for my 470 or the performance I get out of it.

At launch your 470 was more money than a 5870, louder, hotter and slower.

The 480 was around 10% faster depending on how much FSAA was used and cost a ball breaking £450.

It was a complete failure. That would be why within six months Nvidia had ditched them and moved onto designing their successor.

Soldato
The 7900 series is the 28nm replacemrnt for the 40nm 5800 series. In between, AMD have bumped the prices up by 50% or so, but the GPU die size has remained pretty similar.

Likewise, the GTX660/670 will be the 28nm replacement for the 40nm GTX460. The 460 was £160 at launch, but if NVidia follow the same 50% price hike as AMD, the new rate will be £240.

I am merely saying that a $299/£240 launch price is possible, and may even provide very good profit margins for NVidia. The only thing that makes it seem unrealistic is AMD's current 7900 pricing. Perhaps I am dreaming, but GTX670 SLI for a few quid more than current 7970 would be pretty nice. That's what I am wating/hoping for anyway.

Even at the massively inflated price of £240 (compared to the GTX460), GTX670's would be bargains compared to 7900 launch pricing and will fly off the shelves. Meanwhile, the 7900's gather dust while most people wait for Kepler, or the subsequent AMD price chopping.

Let us wait and see what they charge for their 580 replacement (IE fastest single GPU card) before you make any more assumptions. Because I bet it will make AMD look like 18 year old virgins.

Soldato
Let us wait and see what they charge for their 580 replacement (IE fastest single GPU card) before you make any more assumptions. Because I bet it will make AMD look like 18 year old virgins.
Why do we need to wait for the GTX680 before making any assumptions? It is atleast 4-6 months away. The 670 on the other end is relatively close, and this is what Kepler will be judged by.

If (and it is a big IF) the GTX670 offers similar performance to the 7900 cards, it is obvious the 680 will be much faster and will be priced higher than whatever the 7900's cost at the time. Assuming that the 7970's drop quite a bit. GTX680's may arrive in the same region as current 7970 pricing. It is far too far away to tell what will happen in 6 months, but we can begin to make assumptions for next months GTX670 or whatever it may be called.

The GTX670 will be the card that decides Kepler's fate.

Last edited:
Soldato
It was a bit if spamfest with normal weapons but I still loved it the instagib shock rifle mutator rocked specially on the CTF maps.

Shame UT died, would love to see it make a comeback.

Is there anything like that on PC today? Battlefields ok but its just not the same as futuristic cyborgs with laser rifles.

Quakelive....

Quake was always better than ut and is still going fairly strong...considering.

Problem is kids these days can't handle proper death match games so companies don't make them. Now its all about slow realism games where you can spam lucky head shots.

Man I miss the days of barrysworld lol

And

And

Associate
I'm hearing ya :D

Spent way too much time playing RA3 and Clan Arena but nothing else has come near since then.

Quakelive....

Quake was always better than ut and is still going fairly strong...considering.

Problem is kids these days can't handle proper death match games so companies don't make them. Now its all about slow realism games where you can spam lucky head shots.

Man I miss the days of barrysworld lol

Back
Top Bottom