• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The first "proper" Kepler news Fri 17th Feb?

Associate
Sensible - I'm sure the people that waited to see what the 590 was like were glad they did.

The rest of your rig looks well specced, presumably you're running a HD5450 because your original card went pop - or did you sell it to get a good return in anticiption of the 680 launch?

My laptop went pop at the end of last year and had been saving up for a new rig since then. By the end of last month I had enough for everything I wanted apart from a graphics card so just decided to to get the rest of it along with the 20 quid 5450 to tide me over till I had the rest of the money for something decent.

Got another £400 put aside now but as I say just gonna hold back another month to make sure all is well with the 680 before splashing out.

Soldato
... One of those rare times when I have to agree with Mr Drunkenmaster :p

GK110 will be a compute-monster. It will also out-perform GK104 in terms of raw performance. However I expect it to be significantly poorer in terms of performance per Watt, performance per mm^2, and also in terms of transistor density. We've seen time and again (from both manufacturers now) that carrying heavy GPGPU features comes with a price in terms of the efficiency metrics.

If it is a 2304-shader part, i.e. a 50% bump over the GK104, then I would expect somewhere in the region of ~30-40% improvement in performance, with much greater than 50% increase in power consumption, and perhaps an 80% increase in die size. If it does have a 512-bit memory interface (which would certainly be very attractive for the HPC market) then we could perhaps see a much bigger improvement at very high resolutions (2560x1600 and triple-screen resolutions), perhaps over and above the 50%.

I don't see it approaching double the performance of the GTX680 in any realistic gaming applications.

+1

I would expect 780 to be as per the "leaked slide" we saw earlier and roughly double 580 - so roughly the same jump over 680 that 680 is over 580

I wouldn't think that 780 is going to be double 680

Associate
Because the card was supposed to be a GTX660 that people could have bought for well under £300...? Also, because of the poor performance of 7970 (not saying it in the sense of it is a poor performing card, but it hasn't advanced enough away from GTX580 performance), Nvidia tucked away the original planned GTX680, and pushed the GTX660 up to become a GTX680 instead and charging a price to match?

The 7970 is an advancement of the 6970, not the 580.

Man of Honour
Because the card was supposed to be a GTX660 that people could have bought for well under £300...? Also, because of the poor performance of 7970 (not saying it in the sense of it is a poor performing card, but it hasn't advanced enough away from GTX580 performance), Nvidia tucked away the original planned GTX680, and pushed the GTX660 up to become a GTX680 instead and charging a price to match?

I dunno about well under £300 - everything I've heard/seen from any credible sources has indicated it being pitched at the 660ti/670 point at around £300... I still think people are gonna be paying £400+ for a £300 card which happes to have a bit of an overclock out the box.

Still at a bit of a loss as to what nVidia intended for the GTX680 tho as the proper high end card was always going to be 7xx rather than 6xx and GK104 was always going to be the mid-range process.

Soldato
Still at a bit of a loss as to what nVidia intended for the GTX680 tho as the proper high end card was always going to be 7xx rather than 6xx and GK104 was always going to be the mid-range process.

I suspect that, once it became clear that GK110 was going to be delayed until the second half of 2012, Nvidia intended to compete in price : performance terms - rather than on absolute performance as they have in the past. This would have been interesting to see - something of a role reversal for AMD and Nvidia, with AMD having the larger, faster, more expensive GPU and Nvidia offering slightly better value.

As it is, the performance of the 7970 allowed Nvidia to market GK104 as the GTX680, and follow their traditional pricing model.

Klo

Klo

Soldato
I dunno about well under £300 - everything I've heard/seen from any credible sources has indicated it being pitched at the 660ti/670 point at around £300... I still think people are gonna be paying £400+ for a £300 card which happes to have a bit of an overclock out the box.

Surely the 7xx generation will be a whole new generation, like the AMD 8xxx whenever that comes out? Why are they releasing a mid-range card as the highest end card of this generation, then using the same architecture just increasing the numbers of everything then releasing that as the top range for the next generation?

Soldato
Surely the 7xx generation will be a whole new generation, like the AMD 8xxx whenever that comes out? Why are they releasing a mid-range card as the highest end card of this generation, then using the same architecture just increasing the numbers of everything then releasing that as the top range for the next generation?

coz they can and competition is fierce

Soldato

GK104 and GK110 have been in development in parallel. It seems that there were issues with the original "GK100" high-end part, which led to delays and eventual renaming to GK110.

The next "whole new generation" will almost certainly be led by the GK110 chip, with the GK104 powering the upper mid-range parts (i.e. GTX760).

28nm will be around for a while, so expect to see only relatively small iterations on the existing Kepler and GCN designs for the next two years.

Associate
Personally I think all this talk of the 680 being a 'mid-range' card is starting to get a bit silly, especially since its shaping up to be much higher performing than their last high end card.

Companies aren't always going to deliver products in line with a minority of people's expectations & NVIDIA will 'always' have something faster & better in the pipeline whether it be a 780, 880, 980 or whatever.

Who cares really... :)

Soldato
The 7970 is an advancement of the 6970, not the 580.
That's why people think performance advancement is poor, in if looking at it, then looking at the GTX580, and then looking at the GTX680 (the original GTX660) again.

And don't forget, 7970 is not actually retailing at the same launch price as the 6970, but at £100+£150 more.

Personally I think all this talk of the 680 being a 'mid-range' card is starting to get a bit silly, especially since its shaping up to be much higher performing than their last high end card.
Is it that hard to believe a new gen mid-range card at around £200~ price range can beat previous gen high-end card? Remember 5850 vs GTX285? 6950 vs 5870? If you look at the spec of the current "GTX680", it looks more like a GTX660 than a high-end part no matter how you look at it, especially with the 256-bit memory bandwidth and being the GK104. Now we are stucked with paying more money for less performance than original planned, and guess as customer like usual we can only suck up to it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Companies aren't always going to deliver products in line with a minority of people's expectations & NVIDIA will 'always' have something faster & better in the pipeline whether it be a 780, 880, 980 or whatever.

Who cares really... :)

GK104 was never the high end part process so the GTX680 being based on it - even with a remarkable clock speed boost - is still based on what would have been a mid-range card.

Soldato

Me too, if the benchmarks are right and its faster or there abouts than a 7970 and it'll cost £420 = WIN. The next nVidia card that is allegly coming out end of this year will cost a heck of a lot more than £420, and by that time the GTX680 might only have dropped price by £20.

Its all about your needs. As some have said, if your one of those people who needs the latest and greatest all the time then getting one of these if you already have got a GTX 580 is silly imo. As for me, I'm rocking CF 5850s which are about the same speed as a GTX 580. But I'm still getting a GTX680 because I know it will cover my gaming needs for at least the next 2 years, and then I could always SLI.

So basically if you have a GTX 580/ATI 7970/7950 don't need to GTX680. Im basing this on being able to play games at 1080P maxed out and the FPS doesn't go below 60fps.

Associate
GK104 was never the high end part process so the GTX680 being based on it - even with a remarkable clock speed boost - is still based on what would have been a mid-range card.

Ah I see so 22nm Ivybridge CPUs are midrange components & the the high end parts will be 22nm Haswell chips which will be launched next year at some point.

If that's the logic people are using then yes I guess they are mid-range cards.

*edit

In fact that would actually make them low end cards....

Last edited:
Soldato
Me too, if the benchmarks are right and its faster or there abouts than a 7970 and it'll cost £420 = WIN. The next nVidia card that is allegly coming out end of this year will cost a heck of a lot more than £420, and by that time the GTX680 might only have dropped price by £20.

Its all about your needs. As some have said, if your one of those people who needs the latest and greatest all the time then getting one of these if you already have got a GTX 580 is silly imo. As for me, I'm rocking CF 5850s which are about the same speed as a GTX 580. But I'm still getting a GTX680 because I know it will cover my gaming needs for at least the next 2 years, and then I could always SLI.

So basically if you have a GTX 580/ATI 7970/7950 don't need to GTX680. Im basing this on being able to play games at 1080P maxed out and the FPS doesn't go below 60fps.

Wouldn't it make more sense to get a GK110 when it is released at the end of the year??

Soldato

The problem with that is it would have been the mid range to a gpu thats always been rumoured to be coming late this year. It is the high end nvidia card at this stage as they have nothing else to release thats faster. I have said even before tahiti was released that the gk104 would be the high end 6 series card as i always believed that the top end gpu was gonna be far to late to the party.

It just makes sense that gk102 was cancelled so gk104 was all nvidia had for there 6 series cards. It always made sense to me that gk112 was going to be a refresh part because of its code name.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah I see so 22nm Ivybridge CPUs are midrange components & the the high end parts will be 22nm Haswell chips which will be launched next year at some point.

If you don't do your homework on architecture of GPUs and what range they fit into, we can't help you on that (especially when you don't seem to care).

Last edited:
Associate

*edit

In fact that would actually make them low end cards....

/Facepalm

Associate
I'm turned off the idea of getting one again. Think I'll just wait for the dust to settle and all the mysterious to be unlocked because it just seems like a minefield for consumers.

Back
Top Bottom