• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The first "proper" Kepler news Fri 17th Feb?

Associate
If I was a businessman, and know people buy my products no matter what their prices are, but they are as good as someone else's 400 pound product, I wouldn't price my product at 300 or 350 pounds :p

"Same performance as AMD but hey we have PhysX which is amazing. So ours cost more." Has seemed to be their mentality at least in the 500 series. Would be amazed if they'd actually chop prices downwards.

Soldato
"Same performance as AMD but hey we have PhysX which is amazing. So ours cost more." Has seemed to be their mentality at least in the 500 series. Would be amazed if they'd actually chop prices downwards.

PhysX is NOT amazing! PhysX is overrated and over marketed pile of ... which is hardly used at all, and games with the best physics modelling (Rise of Flight, Live for Speed to mention but two) manage very nicely without the stupid PhysX. I hope that waht you said isn't what Nvidia actually think- they miiight:rolleyes:

Soldato
AMD and NVidia both have their marketing gimmicks. 99% of users will never require triple monitor support (Eyefinity) but that does not stop AMD and AMD fanboys pronouncing it's usefulness. Likewise with Physx. The only difference is that most people would actually use Physics, although many of the effects won't really be noticed.

Neither are necessary.

Soldato
AMD and NVidia both have their marketing gimmicks. 99% of users will never require triple monitor support (Eyefinity) but that does not stop AMD and AMD fanboys pronouncing it's usefulness. Likewise with Physx. The only difference is that most people would actually use Physics, although many of the effects won't really be noticed.

Neither are necessary.

Multi Screen can be used all the time and has been around as far as i remember (before the gaming aspect) because it is really useful to have more real estate and as far as gaming it can be used with more games than what accelerated Physx has and Multi screen is not exclusive to AMD and NV had the possibility of gaming on 3 screens before AMD but just not at the consumer level until AMD introduced it at that level if im not mistaken by what Rroff said in the past.

Last edited:
Soldato
Multi Screen can be used all the time and has been around as far as i remember (before the gaming aspect) because it is really useful to have more real estate and as far as gaming it can be used with more games than what accelerated Physx has and Multi screen is not exclusive to AMD and NV had the possibility of gaming on 3 screens before AMD but just not at the consumer level until AMD introduced it at that level if im not mistaken by what Rroff said in the past.
Anyone with a recent NVidia graphics card can use (and perhaps even spot) the benefits of Physx, but very few people with AMD cards actually own or use 3 or more screens. NVidia and Intel routinely support dual monitors, but for those <1% of people who need more, AMD currently has bragging rights. There is speculation that Kepler will support 3 outputs, but very few people will use it..

Soldato
Anyone with a recent NVidia graphics card can use (and perhaps even spot) the benefits of Physx, but very few people with AMD cards actually own or use 3 or more screens. NVidia and Intel routinely support dual monitors, but for those <1% of people who need more, AMD currently has bragging rights. There is speculation that Kepler will support 3 outputs, but very few people will use it..

I said its usefulness, more screens is in fact useful and not a gimmick in that respect whether your playing games or not and its use is totally down to the user, it can be used all the time, accelerated Physx is not totally down to the user in what its used in and is very limited in what its used in.

The amount of people and businesses using more screens is growing and the hardware has to be there before people can start using it and not throwing away old screen, space permitting, few people and businesses are using accelerated Physx daily.

Its like you saying projectors is a gimmick because few people use it, its not a gimmick because its the most practical way to get a large viewing area.

You could say a seatbelt is a gimmick by your definition because most people go through life without life threatening accidents.

Last edited:

And

And

Associate
Last good game id made was Quake3, I hammered RA3 and OSP Clan Arena for a few years. DooM4 will probably be more monsters jumping out of closets like DooM3, which was very poor.

I just play rfactor or og Quake/Doom now.

Rage, Serious Sam and Duke Nuke 'em are about as close to the old school shooters as it gets I'm afraid, these day it's all about arcade-semi realistic-military shooters. Doom 4 is in production though which I'm sure most of older members on here are really looking forward to.

Soldato
I said its usefulness, more screens is in fact useful and not a gimmick in that respect whether your playing games or not and its use is totally down to the user, it can be used all the time, accelerated Physx is not totally down to the user in what its used in and is very limited in what its used in.

The amount of people and businesses using more screens is growing and the hardware has to be there before people can start using it and not throwing away old screen, space permitting, few people and businesses are using accelerated Physx daily.

Its like you saying projectors is a gimmick because few people use it, its not a gimmick because its the most practical way to get a large viewing area.

You could say a seatbelt is a gimmick by your definition because most people go through life without life threatening accidents.

What are you on about? Multiple screens has been around for decades, Eyefinity brought NOTHING new to this segment of computing. Eyefinity is for hardware accelerated GAMING on multiple screens, usually capable off a single gaming GPU.

Business have been using 2/3/4/5/6 monitors for so damn long, it's NOTHING new.

Home users have been using multiple screens for desktop real estate for decades also, long before AMD and Eyefinity came about.

Stop confusing technologies to try make a point.

Man of Honour
PhysX is NOT amazing! PhysX is overrated and over marketed pile of ... which is hardly used at all, and games with the best physics modelling (Rise of Flight, Live for Speed to mention but two) manage very nicely without the stupid PhysX. I hope that waht you said isn't what Nvidia actually think- they miiight:rolleyes:

Don't confuse the capabilities of the API with the underwhelming use of the API.

Soldato
What are you on about? Multiple screens has been around for decades, Eyefinity brought NOTHING new to this segment of computing. Eyefinity is for hardware accelerated GAMING on multiple screens, usually capable off a single gaming GPU.

Business have been using 2/3/4/5/6 monitors for so damn long, it's NOTHING new.

Home users have been using multiple screens for desktop real estate for decades also, long before AMD and Eyefinity came about.

Stop confusing technologies to try make a point.

You have just said everything that i had and i said it was around before AMD so stop confusing yourself, its 555BUK who says that multi screen is not used much and is a gimmick.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why are you presenting it as a pro versus PhysX?

Eyefinity is NOT multiple screens in a traditional sense so it's a moot point. You cannot say Eyefinity is adopted more than PhysX on the principle of multiple screen usage in desktop. You do not need Eyefinity to do multiple screens, you do need PhysX hardware acceleration to make god use of it.

Soldato
Why are you presenting it as a pro versus PhysX?

Eyefinity is NOT multiple screens in a traditional sense so it's a moot point. You cannot say Eyefinity is adopted more than PhysX on the principle of multiple screen usage in desktop. You do not need Eyefinity to do multiple screens, you do need PhysX hardware acceleration to make god use of it.

I'm not going to argue Semantics with you of how its done, multi screen is multi screen, which way is better is not the point and neither did i say Eyefinity is needed,WindowsOS, HTSoft, NV Surround,Matrox TripleHead2Go, MView & Eyefinity or multiple cards. the fact is all of them can make use of multiple screens and not limited to any particular use or game.

And no you don't need PhysX hardware acceleration to make good use of it because outside of PhysX hardware acceleration demos very little is.

Last edited:
Soldato
And no you don't need PhysX hardware acceleration to make good use of it because outside of PhysX hardware acceleration demos very little is.

So you are saying CPU based PhysX is 100% fine in PhysX titles?

Seriously, give it up. If you want to make good use of PhysX you need proper acceleration. It does not matter how few titles use it, if you WANT to use it properly you need the right acceleration.

In-fact there are probably less eyefinity users than there are PhysX enabled titles.

It is retarded to bring desktop real estate desirability into a multi screen gaming debate. A setup which is, and will remain extremely niche.

PhysX on nVidia hardware is effectively free. 3 monitors is a SERIOUS investment. Very very few people buy into either PhysX or Eyefinity. You are infinitely more likely to make use of PhysX as a by-product of owning a nVidia card than you are eyefinity on an AMD card. It is that simple.

Last edited:
Soldato
So you are saying CPU based PhysX is 100% fine in PhysX titles?

Seriously, give it up. If you want to make good use of PhysX you need proper acceleration. It does not matter how few titles use it, if you WANT to use it properly you need the right acceleration.

In-fact there are probably less eyefinity users than there are PhysX enabled titles.

It is retarded to bring desktop real estate desirability into a multi screen gaming debate. A setup which is, and will remain extremely niche.

PhysX on nVidia hardware is effectively free. 3 monitors is a SERIOUS investment. Very very few people buy into either PhysX or Eyefinity. You are infinitely more likely to make use of PhysX as a by-product of owning a nVidia card than you are eyefinity on an AMD card. It is that simple.

More games use CPU based PhysX than GPU accelerated PhysX.
Multi screen gaming is not limited to eyefinity or games programmed for multiscreen gaming and multiscreen gaming has been around a long time, but not as much in the limelight.

And seeing as they already have desktop real estate using them for games will cost them noting and even when people do pay for another screen or 2 because of being initially tempted because of the gaming side you can include the desktop real estate use as it will be used for both in the end.

As i said your arguing semantics and is no different then people arguing that you need to factor in the cost of buying a TV for Console gaming.

If you want to add up how many games are GPU accelerated PhysX i will add up some Multi screen gaming setups.

Youtube Videos of Multi screen gaming 7,200.

Youtube Videos of GPU physx 2,720.

Google reference "multi screen gaming " 280,000

Now Showing : [25] Titles with GPU hardware acceleration support + another 5 at least that should be on there
http://physxinfo.com/index.php?p=gam&f=gpu

Don't kid me that i could not find more than 30 Multi screen gaming setups.
And for all the above reasons im out.

Last edited:
Associate

Well it's 5% of users who use multi screens here:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18372144

Associate
I would have thouoght 450-500. I'm hoping that this will in turn push down the 7970, or they'll release custom-cooled jobs that can be overclocked.

Either way I will be upgrading to the new-gen, I don't care which brand - just show me the money NV.

Caporegime
Apparently like the price of the GTX-680 is gonna be ridiculous, my hope of seeing it at £300 ish has just evaporated.

I wouldn't get too bogged down in rumours because no one knows what any of them are called yet. "big" kepler could end up being the 680gtx and at well over 500mm2 there isn't the slightest chance in hell that thing will be under £300, likely closer to £500 on launch.

In terms of GK104 and if it ends up being called the 680gtx, it won't be £500, it won't smash a 7970, it certainly won't come close to a 7970 at 1200Mhz(which will either suddenly make an appearance as uber overclocked 7970 special editions or a new 7980 or something). £300 max for it, and don't forget, launch price, if they launch too low then AMD will drop prices quickly and they'll both.

The higher the launch price, the less AMD will drop prices to be competitive with it, basically we'll have to see where it drops.

Interesting article from Charlie and a fairly depressing sounding conference call for Nvidia.

Remember the "28nm yields suck" from a SINGLE source which every single other source, which were all directly from companies involved, said the opposite, and that was 5 days before Nvidia lowered their forecast based on lower yields than expected, and now they are again blaming low yields when no one else claims yield problems at all.

It's only guessing and adding the dots so far but theres a strong implication that Nvidia is once again having yield problems no one else is having, not entirely unexpected. Same thing happened on 40nm, you have a dozen companies making 40nm chips with not perfect yields and companies were saying yields were lower than hoped, but they were all working while Nvidia were claiming yields were in the toilet and its all TSMC's fault. Same thing seems to be happening yet this time 28nm yields by everyone else are said to be better than expected(though that is largely an expectation brought down by what happened on 40nm) and no issues at all for anyone else.

A 340mm2 core with poor yields will cost more to make than a roughly 360mm2 core with decent yields, depends entirely on how poor the yields are as to the cost difference. I'd be surprised, both because 28nm is better than 40nm at the same point and the size difference, if GK104 yields were anywhere close to as bad as gf100 yields.

But Nvidia have supposedly both scrapped their 28nm Fermi mobile shrinks as well meaning, potentially they are having bad enough yields on tiny tiny parts that it isn't worth making them either.

Back
Top Bottom