US: The Flash (2014)

Soldato
Well the beginning of the season was pretty trash and then gets worse. I have just watched the first 2 episodes after the mid season break and wondered why the hell i am watching this nonsense. I loved the show when it started, it was a great superhero tv show with some great stories and characters but now it is the worse it has been with rehashed villains, plot and irritating characters and emotional/feels content that just doesnt land at all.

Soldato
This could have been good, further evidence that CW shouldn't be making comic book shows.

If they kept the seasons much shorter (8-10 episodes), stopping introducing nonsensical characters to meet arbitrary diversity quotas, kept the villains to act in-character, maintained the darker nature of the comics including embracing sad outcomes and making better use of the rogues, it could have been great. They certainly picked some good actors for some of the key characters, especially in the first couple of seasons.

Soldato
Shouldn't CGI usually improve over a show's lifetime? The CG work for Deathstorm this week was truly shocking.
As we go into later seasons, main cast will demand higher pay, and generally show budgets go down. They often have to reuse/repurpose CGI to stay in budget.

Reactions: R3X
Caporegime
As we go into later seasons, main cast will demand higher pay, and generally show budgets go down. They often have to reuse/repurpose CGI to stay in budget.
Ah fair enough. The Walking Dead must have had a big actor pay bump the season with that CGI deer :cry:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Well Legends of tommorow and batwoman now cancelled, Flash had a nice start this season imo but it went back to the same thing its done 1000 times each season, really there is only so much that could be done with the Flash and it certainly showed.

There was a crazy rumour going around WB wanted to sack Ezra flash and replace with Grants Flash, thank goodness its false.

Soldato
Well Legends of tommorow and batwoman now cancelled, Flash had a nice start this season imo but it went back to the same thing its done 1000 times each season, really there is only so much that could be done with the Flash and it certainly showed.

There was a crazy rumour going around WB wanted to sack Ezra flash and replace with Grants Flash, thank goodness its false.
Watched one episode of Batwoman and knew it was garbage, can't figure out why they renewed it for 3 seasons. Legends should have finished after two seasons. With DC stepping up their own game on their big budget TV shows, it's no surprise that Arrowverse is coming to an end. Next seasons of Flash and Superman & Lois will likely be their lasts.

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Yeah can't envision Grant Gustin he looks physically exhausted in this seasons Flash, he said he's finished with flash next season anyhow.

I think WB did mention they have spent so much money on the film they can't pull it oddly, they may however re-shoot the ending and have Ezra flash change time and reality and then his face suddenly changes to this guy instead

cancelculture.jpg

Soldato
Whilst I dropped watching this after a few seasons, so I cannot comment on its quality. I am amazed that it is still going because it was quite awful when I did stop watching it.
Some really great TV shows got cancelled after a few seasons, has this improved that much that it deserved to keep getting renewed?

Soldato
Whilst I dropped watching this after a few seasons, so I cannot comment on its quality. I am amazed that it is still going because it was quite awful when I did stop watching it.
Some really great TV shows got cancelled after a few seasons, has this improved that much that it deserved to keep getting renewed?
Haven't watched recently but apparently it's the same nonsense.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
The issue with Flash tv series was it just became highly repetitive, you just had a guy who was the flashes equivalate or as fast as he was just evil so each season it was just rehashed with the same thing over and over again to the point it was just the Flash vs The Flash.

Perhaps there just aren't enough well written Flash storylines out there or not been fully adapted properly (not an comic book reader), either way if does feel the Flash is a bit like Hulk he excels when he is around other top heroes to stand out from or bounce off but separate almost boring.

I suspect this is why in this flash film we have different Batmans and multiverse and many other top superheroes making their debut also.

Soldato
Flash comics are great, lots of interesting stories and characters that could make a terrific TV show if they went away from the old "one villain per episode" recipe, shortened each season to 8-10 episodes of one singular story, got rid of romance/love stories and didn't target the show to 12-15 year olds and embraced darker stories from the comics. In other words, CW was the wrong network for it.

Soldato
The issue with Flash tv series was it just became highly repetitive, you just had a guy who was the flashes equivalate or as fast as he was just evil so each season it was just rehashed with the same thing over and over again to the point it was just the Flash vs The Flash.

Perhaps there just aren't enough well written Flash storylines out there or not been fully adapted properly (not an comic book reader), either way if does feel the Flash is a bit like Hulk he excels when he is around other top heroes to stand out from or bounce off but separate almost boring.

I suspect this is why in this flash film we have different Batmans and multiverse and many other top superheroes making their debut also.

Flash has some great stories in the comics. It's just that CW writers cannot do much more than relationship drama.

Associate
^ That.

Personally I think Waid era Flash should be required reading for their writers room, but I'd settle for an agency guy with a stick who is authorised to beat anyone who suggests yet another evil Speedster villain.

Caporegime
Barry getting sucker punched by a normie, Joe pep talk, overly long reaction shot at the end of most scenes, some mumbo jumbo MacGuffin, 50% chance someone on the team tells a stranger Barry's identity and cheesy villains.

Every episode.

• Haha
Soldato
Barry getting sucker punched by a normie, Joe pep talk, overly long reaction shot at the end of most scenes, some mumbo jumbo MacGuffin, 50% chance someone on the team tells a stranger Barry's identity and cheesy villains.

Every episode.
You nailed it.

Having said that, I found season 2 very good. Zoom ragdolling flash was *chef's kiss*

Caporegime
Ditched this a long time ago (S4?) as the writing was on the wall regarding the bad writing. Damn shame really as the series had a lot of potential :(

On the upside am currently enjoying Supes&Lois, seems a slight cut above the usual CW trash.

Back
Top Bottom