• Yay, I want to be free

Votes: 161 19.9%
  • Nay, never untie the knot

Votes: 441 54.4%
  • Don’t care about Haggis and chips.

Votes: 209 25.8%

• Total voters
Permabanned
I feel you're drawing me into a black hole of meaningless argument here. But here goes....

"A lot" is generally used with an indeterminate quantity. "Many" would be a determinate quantity. If your argument relies on one big "if", then that's a lot of "if" even if it isn't many "ifs". Your contention that it was "only two" simply sidesteps the point.

Next, I didn't suggest police were there because of numbers and entry restriction, simply that your preposition that their presence is a threat to democracy common to Scotland, Iraq, and Afganistan was missing that we get police attending polling stations here in England too, and I gave one recent example of that.

you've climbed down from your absolute opening statement, but are bringing factors into play to back it up which weren't on the table at the time. You quoted one guy saying he saw police at a polling station and decried the state of democracy in Scotland.

Your statement was an absolute in the sense that police keeping order has to be a sign of failing democracy. The "if" bit there was not saying "if" there was intimidation, simply "if" there was police attending to keep order.

I feel I've wasted a lot of time on that ^, but your style of arguing is quite difficult to contain. A lot of false directions.

Don't appreciate your final line either. I've been perfectly civil.

So you are going down the road of semantics instead now. I'll refrain from explaining in detail that "a Big If" is not a "Lot of If's' and by definition in context " A Lot" means A large amount particularly when you used the plural "If's".

I think it's quite simple, it's a not even a big if, it's simply two situations, one is acceptable, the other is not....no if or buts despite your attempt to use semantic argument to complicate it with misdirection and disingenuous language. I find it ironic that you are doing what you accuse me of, when in fact all I did was clarify something for you.

Agree or disagree, I don't mind which. In fact given that there has been voter intimidation during European Elections amongst some Asian communities elsewhere in the UK, I would extend my complaint to those as well.

You definitely need to wind your neck in. Whether you appreciate it or not.

Last edited:
Soldato
He hasn't got a vote so doesn't really matter.

But how many idiots has he swayed by appearing on the front page of idiot newspapers with his Olympic gold medal? I'm not calling YES voters idiots, but changing your vote at the last minute because you were swayed by the NEGATIVITY of the NO campaign. As if the NO campaign was ever going to come across as positive?

Imagine someone announces to his friends "I'm going to bet all of my money on this horse. What do you think?"

Rational person: "That's a really bad idea. Have you considered the consequences?"

Idiot friend (with gold medal): "OMG you are so negative, you should totally do that, imagine what you could do with the money when it wins"

Simplistic analogy, yes, but it has to be dumbed down when dealing with blind patriotism.

Soldato
So you are going down the road of semantics instead now.

I think it's quite simple, it's a not a big if, it's simply two situations, one is acceptable, the other is not....no if or buts despite your attempt to use semantic argument to complicate it with misdirection and disingenuous language. I find it ironic that you are doing what you accuse me of, when in fact all I did was clarify something for you.

You definitely need to wind your neck in. Whether you appreciate it or not.

:)

I'll leave it with you Cas.

Associate
I'm hoping for a no vote and then the passion shown by both sides is used to reform the whole kingdom.

Looking on twitter ect it's dominated by yes people, surley the silent majority wouldn't still be so silent now??

Associate
Why stop there lets reform the empire!

Haha! But seriously, it's not like we're neighbours on a continent, it's a small island and creating division instead of rousing the people of england, wales and NI to bring change will just make things worse for both.

How anyone can vote yes with no currency ect in stone is utter madness no matter how much you hope for change.

Soldato
Speaking as a British person, I'd be sad to see Scotland go because I believe England needs her. But we cannot claim to be a true democracy while we continue to deny her freedom, so on that basis I vote 'Yes.'

:)

Whaaaaa? Who has denied Scotland freedom? last time I checked there is a democratic referendum taking place to determine if the Scots want freedom.

Soldato
Some of this is like an election in Afghanistan or Iraq. Shameful, if you need Police to keep order at polling booths then I have little hope for politics in Scotland.

Thanks for the insult. As I said Some, not all, I was referring to some cases of intimidation being similar to what is seen in some countries who need the police to enforce order, that seems to be napping in some places in Scotland, it's not bias or blind or being an idiot, it's just what it is as shown in the articles you asked for...as for bias, I have none. Everyone should be free to vote in peace without prejudice or intimidation as far as I am concerned, no matter what you wish to vote for.

And to illustrate my non-biased position, police were stationed in Tower Hamlets and other predominantly Asian areas in Bradford and others during local, European elections for similar reasons, although without incident from what I can gather...again a sad indictment on politics in that area that it is necessary to draft police to keep order in an election.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/47...g-station-bullies-at-European-elections-today

Except it is bias.

An article about 'intimidating graffiti' and one arrest in Dumbartonshire, leads you to have little hope for Scottish politics.

But to illustrate your 'non-bias' you acknowledge your concerns over some 'Asian areas' and what it means for politics in those specific areas.

But you apparently don't feel those incidents are of concern for 'English politics' as a whole, just a problem with those specific areas.

Permabanned
Except it is bias.

An article about 'intimidating graffiti' and one arrest in Dumbartonshire, leads you to have little hope for Scottish politics.

But to illustrate your 'non-bias' you acknowledge your concerns over some 'Asian areas' and what it means for politics in those specific areas.

But you apparently don't feel those incidents are of concern for 'English politics' as a whole, just a problem with those specific areas.

To clear this up....whether those incidences are in Asian, Scottish, English or any other area, I disagree with those kinds of actions and despair over the nature of democracy wherever it happens.

Also to clear something else up, my opinion isn't based on a single incident in Dumbartonshire, it was an example of the behaviour given because someone asked for an illustration, it was not to show the totality of it. We have had reports and accusations of intimidation and abuse far exceeding what we usually see in any election or referendum in the UK thus far. It makes me wonder what kind of democracy Scotland will have if they vote Yes, and also what kind of democracy we are turning into if they vote No.

There isn't a bias in my opinion, other than one against intimidatory and abusive tactics in politics.

Last edited:
Soldato
My polling station was nice and quiet, with a single Yes guy standing at the door. However, my mother said that there were numerous Yes vehicles all around her polling station and quite a lot of Yes campaigners and she said she felt quite intimidated by it.

Aren't they banned from doing such a thing?

Caporegime
Biggest waste of time, money and effort ever. In an ever more cosmopolitan and connected world were wasting resources on this farce. Hopefully it'll all blow over with a no vote.

If it goes to a yes vote then I support an invasion and we can just annex the new Scotland.

Caporegime
Haha! But seriously, it's not like we're neighbours on a continent, it's a small island and creating division instead of rousing the people of england, wales and NI to bring change will just make things worse for both.

There is already division. There is London, and there is everywhere else that isn't London.

Back
Top Bottom