• Yay, I want to be free

Votes: 161 19.9%
  • Nay, never untie the knot

Votes: 441 54.4%
  • Don’t care about Haggis and chips.

Votes: 209 25.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
xyphic I don't know anyone who's voting for independence who thinks they can go grovelling to anyone if things to pear shaped. That's the sort of line divorced husbands use. I am personally anticipating a 58-60% no result tomorrow.

Soldato
They stopped once they didn't want the highlands as there was nothing worth having up there. All the bits north of the Antonine wall they wanted they built forts near.

"Researchers found 260 Roman military camps in Scotland, the largest number of any country in Europe, and 20 more than the 240 throughout found in England and Wales"

"'The repeated campaigns to conquer Scotland were bloody, brutal and ultimately unsuccessful for the Roman Empire"

And they still got their ass kicked by the scots tribes ;)

Back on topic.

Soldato
I'm not entirely clued up on the topic but didn't the Government promise a lot of extra money and support to Scotland if they vote No?

The the party leaders did, not their parties and not the people of the rUK. That's my issue with it, it's nothing binding and most alarmingly they did it with no mandate from the people and no backing of parliament.

Soldato
I'm undecided (so had to pick "don't care"), though I think No will win by a comfortable margin (15% clear, or thereabouts)

Has anyone seen how losing Scotland would skew the balance of power in Parliament? 40 Labour seats would be lost, 11 Lib Dem, 1 Tory. It would be a lurch to the right for the rest of the UK.

Soldato
I live in Edinburgh and really do not care. Whichever way the vote goes there is going to be trouble and as far as the ordinary man is concerned getting shafted by Holyrood is no different than getting shafted by Westminster.

Caporegime
I'm undecided (so had to pick "don't care"), though I think No will win by a comfortable margin (15% clear, or thereabouts)

Has anyone seen how losing Scotland would skew the balance of power in Parliament? 40 Labour seats would be lost, 11 Lib Dem, 1 Tory. It would be a lurch to the right for the rest of the UK.

Oh indeed. In terms of winning the next general election, losing Scotland is likely to be a huge plus for the Tory's.

Permabanned
"At no time was even half of Scotland's land mass under Roman control"

Scotland border was further down back then also AFAIR round about Berwick .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_during_the_Roman_Empire

"The Romans assaulted Scotland with a larger force than they used to hold ALL of England and Wales - but still failed to subdue savage tribesmen"

Countless Google results on topic.

I do know my own countries history even if its was long ago I was at school.

Caporegime

I tend to think that the balance of these things gets evened out over time. It should be remembered that even without Scottish MPs Labour would have had a majority in parliament in 1997, 2002, and 2007, although it would have had an impact on the 2010 election as the Tories would have had a parliamentary majority.

It is interesting though that the Tories are so desperate to keep Scotland in the Union despite the putative gains they'd make in rUK elections. Food for thought...

Permabanned
Since when does that come in to the topic?

You do realise that the topic is about asking people which way they would vote..yes?

You stated and I quote;

"Nobody has any right to ask or tell anyone what to vote. "

So it makes you a hypocrite to post which way you would vote and then make that kind of statement saying no-one has the right to ask.

Permabanned
"At no time was even half of Scotland's land mass under Roman control"

At no time did I say they did either...they fortified and protected the bits that had value to them (as is borne out in the wikilink you have supplied if you actually read it)...that is what I said...perhaps you need to read what is said rather than what you want to be said. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Permabanned
You do realise that the topic is about asking people which way they would vote..yes?

You stated and I quote;

"Nobody has any right to ask or tell anyone what to vote. "

So it makes you a hypocrite to post which way you would vote and then make that kind of statement saying no-one has the right to ask.

You did see I replied with my choice correct?

You did not see was referring to someone else or actually anybody in this thread and the other asking/begging for peeps to vote yes.

I think you need to learn the difference from a a topic asking what way you voted and someone asking you to vote a certain way.

Again you are hypocrite in nearly every thread you join in this section so touché.

Last edited:
Soldato
Except they didn't. It was simply too troublesome to conquer and keep conquered for the very little value it held. Hence the fortifications in the areas that had value.

Wrong again.

"After a number of failed military campaigns, which included the annihilation of the 9th Legion around 117 AD, the Romans retreated south and built Hadrian's wall for their own protection"

"In 142 AD, the Romans again tried to take Scotland, made some territorial gains and built Antonine's wall, a second defensive wall that stretched from the Firth of Clyde to the Firth of Forth. In 163 AD, the Romans retreated from Antonine's wall and cowered behind Hadrian's wall for the second time"

"In 208 AD, the Romans marched again to conquer Scotland. In 212 AD, they again left defeated. In 367 AD, the Picts with the help of the Irish invaded England and together they pushed the Romans back from their last defensive positions at Hadrian's wall"

They came saw and got their ass kicked. Those Scottish are true Brits :p

Permabanned
At no time did I say they did either...they fortified and protected the bits that had value to them (as is borne out in the wikilink you have supplied if you actually read it)...that is what I said...perhaps you need to read what is said rather than what you want to be said. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you need to stop talking crap and dressing it up with clever wording like you do all day in this section, so both me and the other peep read you wrong? :rolleyes:

I really did not like you till today I though you were ok in this thread but now I know my gut feeling was correct.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Whatever the outcome, Scotland will be damned. If the "No" camp wins, we'll end up with heavily subsidised part of UK where 40+ percent of people don't want to be British. If the "Yes" camp wins they'll end up with country where 40+ percent of population don't want to be citizens of.

Permabanned
Wrong again.

They came saw and got their ass kicked. Those Scottish are true Brits :p

Except it s not wrong, the Romans successfully took what they wanted, the 209 campaign by Severus was a success, they retreated upon his death in 211, his son settled a peace agreement and returned to Hadrians Wall the following year.

Whenever there was an actual battle, such as Mons Graupius, the Romans certainly did not get their asses kicked, quite the opposite. Roman withdrawals were largely down to changes of leadership or simple economics, not because the Caledonian Confederacy won any decisive battles.

And there is no record of what happened to the 9th legion, stop taking your history from movies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom