The GTR is dead! Long live the cryptolambo!

Soldato
@Gibbo After reading all that I feel you can’t put a price on feeling special driving a certain car. Judging @kindai comments how he had driven the lambo, how it’s made him feel it just seems to me that, if you purchase a car for a vast amount of money £100k+ it needs to make you feel like that. Whether it’s the best supercars or worst, whether it does Nurburgring lap in 6minutes or 9minutes, it should not matter.

The feeling again, you can’t put a price on and that’s what would make it for me personally. Growing up all I ever knew of was Ferrari’s or Lamborghinis as the go to supercars. Just my opinion but I think that would or should be the ideal next step for yourself. You’ve had Porsche’s, fast track cars etc

Exotic is the next step.

M3 for £20k+ I’d sell if desperate. Still, market is a bit strange at moment so wise to hold on.

A wildcard, but have you not considered a Ferrari F360 challenger stradale?

OcUK Staff
@Gibbo After reading all that I feel you can’t put a price on feeling special driving a certain car. Judging @kindai comments how he had driven the lambo, how it’s made him feel it just seems to me that, if you purchase a car for a vast amount of money £100k+ it needs to make you feel like that. Whether it’s the best supercars or worst, whether it does Nurburgring lap in 6minutes or 9minutes, it should not matter.

The feeling again, you can’t put a price on and that’s what would make it for me personally. Growing up all I ever knew of was Ferrari’s or Lamborghinis as the go to supercars. Just my opinion but I think that would or should be the ideal next step for yourself. You’ve had Porsche’s, fast track cars etc

Exotic is the next step.

M3 for £20k+ I’d sell if desperate. Still, market is a bit strange at moment so wise to hold on.

A wildcard, but have you not considered a Ferrari F360 challenger stradale?

Don't like 360, feels a bit kit car ish, sorry if offends anyone, had the opportunity to buy one when I got my CSL as they were similar money back then, looking back I should have done considering now they are double the money, but there again so are CSL's but the BMW was a far better drive than the 360 F1 Modena at the time.

Now F430 I love those, but they have a lot of weaknesses and though it might sound daft a nice one would set me back 90k, probably not lose a penny, but though I would be happy I'd also not be happy as its really miles behind the SVR in so many ways and the car does need to be a good daily and not throwing huge bills every ten minutes just for giggles and laughs because Ferrari.

What I did like about the Huracan, it was a thrill just cruising in it, was always sounds awesome and a real event. The GT3 sounded even better, but only when you were properly heading towards 9000rpm and though it felt a proper sorted car to drive, its still a 911 at heart. However I did not drive Huracan in Corsa and I was really missing the inertia shifts that the GT3 has in PDK Plus, and I think Corsa mode activates inertia shift.

GT3 is head choice, Huracan is heart choice I feel both are also sensible as both good daily cars.

I've got months, no rush, going to visit dealerships local to me, sit down, have a chat, really investigate running cost, warranties and what they cover etc.

If 570S made an epic sound, I feel the choice would be so easy as I like the looks, don't mind the slightly naff interior as you just know the handling and performance will be mega, just why oh why it sounds not so special, thats the issue its just another engine, yes its a V8 but it really nothing special, yes the power delivery is a bit spikey, thank god really otherwise could be very boring.

But the V10 in the Huracan is an engine from the gods, as is the 3.8/4.0l flat 6 in the GT3, the 458 is also a very special motor too. But the 570S its meh and for me I love a good sounding car hence my car history recently and its the motor that really raises the hairs on the back of the neck more so than anything else.

Admittedly I got in the Lambo and it was just a wow factor car from even pressing the starter button, though visibility is still a bit crap, its better than a Gallardo Coupe and the pedals are way better, my size 10's fit fine in normal shoes. The Porsche though has the best driving position and visibility.

Anyone just gonna drive them all, GT3/570S are easy to afford, 458/Huracan but more a stretch but hey finance or I go wild, get desperate sell the M3 too and buy a new Huracan EVO and try to get into a Performante.

Last edited:
Soldato
I dunno if you could 'daily' a huracan. The suspension is really quite harsh on the road from what I remembe...when I sniffed one, and the leather seats were very firm.

Obviously perfect on the right road and in my opinion a weekend car/night drive after work car.

Engine might be from the gods but in terms of pure sound, the Audi V10 has definitely lost something over the one Kindai has.

Soldato
Whether a car can be 'dailied' is almost 100% subjective, and incredibly dependent on the driver, the commute, the roads, where it has to be parked, etc etc.

Yeah I get that, here are some universal reasons why is can be driven every single day.

- spacious interior (compared to older gallardos, especially for taller people)
- DCT gearbox allows for smooth cruising in traffic (same can't be said for manual or e-gear gallardo)
- switchable driving modes (so you can dial down the throttle response for smoother progress in traffic)
- Solid infotainment (nav, decent speaker system)
- Sensors + rear camera (so you can park it easily)
- visibility (you can actually see out the car and not panic about bouncing off kerbs)
- lift system (an option but most specced this, makes higher kerbs or multi stories a breeze, well easier!)

OcUK Staff
Yeah I get that, here are some universal reasons why is can be driven every single day.

- spacious interior (compared to older gallardos, especially for taller people) - Agreed though the roof line is low, with a helmet I was sometimes hitting it.
- DCT gearbox allows for smooth cruising in traffic (same can't be said for manual or e-gear gallardo) - Yes the DCT is superb you can change up full throttle at any RPM, super smooth and instant, though too smooth but I did not try Corsa mode, hoping it has inertia shift, which I think it does.
- switchable driving modes (so you can dial down the throttle response for smoother progress in traffic) - The throttle response is electric in sport mode, am hopeful Corsa is somewhat smoother, it took some getting used to after the GT3.
- Solid infotainment (nav, decent speaker system) - Don't care, you have a V10 !
- Sensors + rear camera (so you can park it easily) - Sensors a must, ideally camera too, rear visibility is poor with glass cover and none existent with the slats.
- visibility (you can actually see out the car and not panic about bouncing off kerbs) - Absolutely a big improvement I was not guessing for clipping apex.
- lift system (an option but most specced this, makes higher kerbs or multi stories a breeze, well easier!)
- I'd like to do without but I guess its a must, very low from factory.

Ideally for me the perfect spec is:
- 610-4
- passive dampers (magnetic dampers can cause understeer) but on flip side magnetic dampers in Strada are soft.
- No LDS (Lamborghini Dynamic Steering), kills steering feel
- Verde Mantis Green, but any orange or yellow would do
- Silver wheels if green, gunmetal if orange or yellow
- Chrome exhaust tips, such a shame most are black, I want to see those lovely tips, when black they are just lost.
- Glass engine cover, though the slats do look cool, so not fussed.
- Guess I need lift and I've not seen a car without.

As to can a Huracan be daily driven, I'd say absolutely, the 610-4 weighs 1555kg and has state of the art suspension and 580-2 weighs 1509kg, these are light cars with expensive dampers and spring setups, you spec magnetic and in Strada they are superbly compliant. Yes passive dampers are firmer, but again more feelsome and early 610-4 were first generation of magnetic dampers which caused the understeer complaints from many reviewers, the passive damper equipped review cars had no such issues. 580-2 have 2nd gen magnetic dampers which are better and Performante and EVO use 3rd gen which has solved the issue completely.

Great and fine as a daily, compliant ride, Audi reliability, better visibility than Lamborghini of past, I am really convincing myself aint I. :D

daz

daz

Soldato
Can you have lift but not the adaptive dampers? It was always wince inducing driving over speed bumps in my 650S, because it had no lift. I was always thinking about inclines etc and it made it much harder to drive around as a daily thinking about that.

The biggest issue with the Huracan for me is the boot space - a weekend trip away with the wife is going to be a squeeze. It doesn't help that I have a Spyder so there is zero space behind the seats, but the font boot is considerably smaller than any McLaren (much smaller than my 650S). The Huracan feels better built than the McLaren by some way. The Huracan is very easy to drive in strada, but that's not going to make as much difference for you without the adapative dampers. One point to note is that the Huracan in Strada sounds like a McLaren in Sport or Track. :D Another small point, the new Evo is likely to start from around £190K, so with options is going to be a similar price to a used Performante.

Personally I would say definitely drive a 570S, it is the cheapest of the bunch but almost certainly the best value. Get as new as you can with warranty and you'll be good. I will almost certainly own another McLaren one day, I loved the handling and steering feel, and the turbo power delivery is "fun" in a childish kind of way. They do need to work on their quality control, and how quickly they are releasing new models though because it's not fun being a new owner and McLaren dealers not interested in buying your car back. You won't have this issue with a Ferrari or Porsche, and to a lesser extent the Lamborghini.

One small thing, the 458 might actually feel a bit sluggish compared to a 570S or a Huracan, just because of the torque and the way it delivers power. It is a special car, sure but it is also showing its age now.

I really don't think you can make this decision without driving all of the cars on your shortlist, and at the same time you can definitely not make this choice logically; i.e. by weighing up the pros and cons etc. It's not like buying a graphics card! They are all great cars and you are in an enviable position to even be considering any of these options. Buy the one that makes you feel special and makes you want to wake up at 6am on a Sunday to go for a drive. :D

Soldato
The biggest issue with the Huracan for me is the boot space - a weekend trip away with the wife is going to be a squeeze. It doesn't help that I have a Spyder so there is zero space behind the seats, but the font boot is considerably smaller than any McLaren (much smaller than my 650S).

Yes this definitely. When I asked the dealer what most people do on long weekends away, he simply said "get your luggage couriered there" :p

It is strange as the R8 gen 2 has much more space in the nose vs the huracan and strangely the LP-580 is the same as the 610-4 despite have not front driveshafts.

The coupe does have a little bit of room behind the seat depending how tall you are.

In the end you may end up need to start applying the "capsule wardrobe" to fit in enough for two :D

OcUK Staff
Can you have lift but not the adaptive dampers? It was always wince inducing driving over speed bumps in my 650S, because it had no lift. I was always thinking about inclines etc and it made it much harder to drive around as a daily thinking about that.

The biggest issue with the Huracan for me is the boot space - a weekend trip away with the wife is going to be a squeeze. It doesn't help that I have a Spyder so there is zero space behind the seats, but the font boot is considerably smaller than any McLaren (much smaller than my 650S). The Huracan feels better built than the McLaren by some way. The Huracan is very easy to drive in strada, but that's not going to make as much difference for you without the adapative dampers. One point to note is that the Huracan in Strada sounds like a McLaren in Sport or Track. :D Another small point, the new Evo is likely to start from around £190K, so with options is going to be a similar price to a used Performante.

Personally I would say definitely drive a 570S, it is the cheapest of the bunch but almost certainly the best value. Get as new as you can with warranty and you'll be good. I will almost certainly own another McLaren one day, I loved the handling and steering feel, and the turbo power delivery is "fun" in a childish kind of way. They do need to work on their quality control, and how quickly they are releasing new models though because it's not fun being a new owner and McLaren dealers not interested in buying your car back. You won't have this issue with a Ferrari or Porsche, and to a lesser extent the Lamborghini.

One small thing, the 458 might actually feel a bit sluggish compared to a 570S or a Huracan, just because of the torque and the way it delivers power. It is a special car, sure but it is also showing its age now.

I really don't think you can make this decision without driving all of the cars on your shortlist, and at the same time you can definitely not make this choice logically; i.e. by weighing up the pros and cons etc. It's not like buying a graphics card! They are all great cars and you are in an enviable position to even be considering any of these options. Buy the one that makes you feel special and makes you want to wake up at 6am on a Sunday to go for a drive. :D

Completely agreed, 458 is a heart car, but yes its age does put me off, plus how they seem to sit on stilts they look a bit funny, seems to be a Ferrari thing, though they seem to have fixed that 488 onwards, but the 488 does not interest me, there was one in Vegas and it sounded pretty rubbish in all honesty.

570S, Huracan and GT3 are firm favourites!
I am speaking to Oulton Park at moment as they have a 458, 570S, Performante and GT3 all available to drive on track, getting a price to do 10 laps in each one, as that will give me opportunity to properly stretch all of their legs on track, then I shall drive them all on road and make my decision. :)

OcUK Staff
Yes this definitely. When I asked the dealer what most people do on long weekends away, he simply said "get your luggage couriered there" :p

It is strange as the R8 gen 2 has much more space in the nose vs the huracan and strangely the LP-580 is the same as the 610-4 despite have not front driveshafts.

The coupe does have a little bit of room behind the seat depending how tall you are.

In the end you may end up need to start applying the "capsule wardrobe" to fit in enough for two :D

I will check luggage space, hopefully you can get to ruck sacks in the front boot or behind the seats you think? Me and the Mrs do keep taking weekends away, but that is just packing for two days, so just a couple of bags, she will just have to learn to pack only one bag and not two or three, LOL. :D
Otherwise she can just get harnessed into M3 for weekends away, its got a big boot. :D

Loving the convo, technically I could join the club, but my head stops me. Maybe if I give up the accountancy game I can get my head in "the right place" lol

The thing about daily is certainly true. As I mentioned sometime before, maybe on one of Housey's threads I seriously think about an R8 at times. Problem is some of my drive is down roads that just a TT feels wide down. I couldn't bring myself to own something nice that daily runs the risk of being shaved of its paint as I desperately try to avoid the wing mirror being ripped off (happened twice to my mate last few months). I dont want to have to keep stopping and pulling over to give max space to cars coming the other way, kind of defeats the purpose of having a car that can do point to point in a good time ;)

Daily I run the risk of suicide phesants, monthly probably deer. Just before crimbo I had a deer wipe its arse down the passenger side as it jumped out to try to cross the road as I was almost level!

I could run two cars, but then I wouldn't spend most of the time driving the better one. Argh the dilema of not being rich ;) Maybe I need to move :)

Soldato
I will check luggage space, hopefully you can get to ruck sacks in the front boot or behind the seats you think? Me and the Mrs do keep taking weekends away, but that is just packing for two days, so just a couple of bags, she will just have to learn to pack only one bag and not two or three, LOL. :D
Otherwise she can just get harnessed into M3 for weekends away, its got a big boot. :D

You can fit long bags behind the headrest/seats. So something like a gun slip or fishing rod bag. Basically anything long & reasonably thing would work.

In the front maybe 2 or 3 40L ruck sacks at a push or 1 bigger duffel & a smaller day pack.

Then there is the passenger footwell of course LOL

Could you not fit a roof rack on a Lamborghini or a ferrarri ?

This has been done and does look interesting....

Back
Top Bottom