• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Mine was coming from the Corsair CX750 beforehand, at least that's where the majority of the sound was coming from, with my SuperFlower Leadex Gold 850W, none of the sound is coming from the PSU, it's just the card.

It's probably making the PSUs whine due to just how much power it requires, although I'd like to see someone run a 22 pin card off my old Corsair PSU :p

dont think it about the power it needs, i used a 1000W corsair

Mine was coming from the Corsair CX750 beforehand, at least that's where the majority of the sound was coming from, with my SuperFlower Leadex Gold 850W, none of the sound is coming from the PSU, it's just the card.

It's probably making the PSUs whine due to just how much power it requires, although I'd like to see someone run a 22 pin card off my old Corsair PSU :p

Edit: Quick question... Are you using a daisy changed PCI cable, or two individual ones? I don't remember if it was you I asked about this.

I have used two individual ones both times and I'm wondering whether daisy chained could help it.

the corsair has 1 cable with 2 outputs to 8pin , also tried it on 2 separate power , still the same , EVGA needs 2 , as 1 one them is 6 pin , so cant use the same cable

I see, I won't bother changing it then. Thanks for your help.

Are you planning to keep yours and just deal with the noise?

i just played GTA5 , and hardly noticed any noise, so obsessed i muted sound and drove around its hard to notice it now have to go right next to pc and listen carefully, also confusing it with the fan noise, this is in a quiet room with sound muted, so will have sound on when normally playing

with metal gear soild phantom pain it aint there at all, that game is well optimized only uses 50% of GPU maxed out

i never got any coil whine from card, its the PSU, im stuck with 2 PSU's now, i think im gonna keep the EVGA power supply and try to return the other back

for sure keeping this card runs 1500mhz core , temps good . fans stay around 55-60 on auto so doesnt make much noise at all

Last edited:
Flash process is the same, This is the guide i used. It is for 970-980s but is exactly the same as the 980Ti aswell.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1523391/easy-nvflash-guide-with-pictures-for-gtx-970-980

http://www.overclock.net/t/1523391/easy-nvflash-guide-with-pictures-for-gtx-970-980

With: http://www.overclock.net/t/1558645/official-nvidia-gtx-980-ti-owners-club

click on custom bios and use either the 1.25v or 1.281v bios (1.274v after v droop).

Extract your current bios and save it somewhere using GPU-Z first for safe keeping incase you want to flash it back in the future.

Yeah, I have an Asus strix so don't really want to flash a reference bios, I want to mod the one I have to have more voltage, which theres no documentation on how, I even downloaded those modded bios' and copied the values and that doesn't work

Yeah, I have an Asus strix so don't really want to flash a reference bios, I want to mod the one I have to have more voltage, which theres no documentation on how, I even downloaded those modded bios' and copied the values and that doesn't work

This is how I did it with my 980. Disabled boost, set base clock to 1500, base mem to 7800 and voltage to 1300mV. Obviously, if you only want to change the voltage you can just follow that part. I didn't bother changing power target as my 980 sits around 70% power usage with 1650 core clock.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1522651/disable-boost-and-bake-in-max-game-stable-clocks-for-maxwell

I haven't looked at this in terms of 980Ti so tread carefully.

Last edited:

? You can flash it with a reference bios. Won't make any difference whether it's a strix, MSI 6G. Only thing is it will boost like an EVGA SC. But still it Allows up to 1.274v to allow you to manually boost it further. which is for watercooling or LN2. You can do a bios mod like the post above but you could run into issues if you do it wrong. Brick it, bad instability and all sorts of other issues.

Last edited:
This is how I did it with my 980. Disabled boost, set base clock to 1500, base mem to 7800 and voltage to 1300mV. Obviously, if you only want to change the voltage you can just follow that part. I didn't bother changing power target as my 980 sits around 70% power usage with 1650 core clock.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1522651/disable-boost-and-bake-in-max-game-stable-clocks-for-maxwell

I haven't looked at this in terms of 980Ti so tread carefully.

yeah, I read that and tried the voltage part but I still only get 1.23 according to AB

? You can flash it with a reference bios. Won't make any difference whether it's a strix, MSI 6G. Allows up to 1.274v which is for watercooling or LN2. You can do a bios like the post above but you could run into issues if you do it wrong.

The problem with those pre-done bios' is that all the fan settings are different for a start, I can try manually copying just the fan settings from my bios over to the pre-modded one I guess, but I'm not 100% sure on what else might be different that possibly isn't shown in the editor

yeah, I read that and tried the voltage part but I still only get 1.23 according to AB

The problem with those pre-done bios' is that all the fan settings are different for a start, I can try manually copying just the fan settings from my bios over to the pre-modded one I guess, but I'm not 100% sure on what else might be different that possibly isn't shown in the editor

You can try doing your own bios which should work ok. Just look at the guides etc. the fan profile is different true but don't know what effect that would have. Whether they will idle constantly I don't know. hope your strix is a good cooler, pushes out some serious heat with a custom bios. How much voltage are you looking to achieve?

AB isn't guaranteed to show the correct voltage. Did the new BIOS increase stability? Did you test to see, or did you look at the voltage reading and dismiss?

My 980 is set to 1.3v but ABB shows 1.75 no matter what it's set at in BIOS.

Yes I tested and got no improvement, I checked GPU-Z and its giving me the same figure
Temps/heat are fine as I'm getting 66C at 100%... If not I have a core only waterblock I could break out if I have to

Yes I tested and got no improvement, I checked GPU-Z and its giving me the same figure
Temps/heat are fine as I'm getting 66C at 100%... If not I have a core only waterblock I could break out if I have to

I haven't modded 980Ti BIOS so I wouldn't even attempt any further comment for fear of giving you bad advice. Hopefully someone who has done it can pitch in.

Also, is the Gigabyte G1 Gaming the only card with a full cover block available? The EKWB site has been saying "coming soon" for the MSI for ages. I want my card under water, but not with an AIO. :(

The Asus Strix version has an EK full cover block available as well.

thanks but no, I already have a GPU only block and as I discovered with my Titan's full cover blocks are not really needed (particularly as the GPU and VRM heatsinks on the 980ti's are seperate anyway)... I'm pretty sure I'm at the limit of what my card will do with 1550 in Heaven/Valley and 1520 in games etc., so its only for the sake of running a 3 minute benchmark (I run at 1480 in SLI for 50-60% fan for gaming anyway)

thanks but no, I already have a GPU only block and as I discovered with my Titan's full cover blocks are not really needed (particularly as the GPU and VRM heatsinks on the 980ti's are seperate anyway)... I'm pretty sure I'm at the limit of what my card will do with 1550 in Heaven/Valley and 1520 in games etc., so its only for the sake of running a 3 minute benchmark (I run at 1480 in SLI for 50-60% fan for gaming anyway)

I'd leave it especially if your achieving another +233mhz on the core boost. To be fair for a single card an AIO isn't bad. Custom loop would be better but comes with a lot more cost just for 1 GPU. My 980Ti's still get warm at around 40-42c (summer temps) maxed out with a custom bios with Full cover blocks (gaming in the mid 30s). Dependant on room temp aswell. Coldest they have been is 32c maxed out once the weather cooled a bit. Winter should be even better :).

+you do need full cover blocks unless you put Heatsinks and a fan on the VRMs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom