• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

I asked this a while ago and got an answer from someone - But it doesn't seem to be holding true. Is it possible for me to assign a custom fan curve to my GPU without having to open MSI Afterburner, Precision, or anything like that?

I hate having icons in my tray and I try to keep them at a minimum, but that proves difficult with some apps :p

Dude, I am pretty sure the 2016 Collins Dictionary will include this under the entry for First World Problems

Lmao, thanks :p

My GPU's left most fan rattles when Afterburner is open too, does that count as a First World Problem as well?

Edit: Only seems to happen above 35% fan speed - Its a rattling sound as well every so often another sound, which I can best describe as something tapping the heatsink.

I think the fan might be loose or something. :eek:

Last edited:
Lmao, thanks :p

My GPU's left most fan rattles when Afterburner is open too, does that count as a First World Problem as well?

Edit: Only seems to happen above 35% fan speed - Its a rattling sound as well every so often another sound, which I can best describe as something tapping the heatsink.

I think the fan might be loose or something. :eek:

Well I am pretty sure we can agree that, whilst owning an ASUS STRIX 980Ti is pretty much exclusive to the First World, having a fan threatening to fall off said >£500 graphics card is a serious prospect :eek:

Last edited:
I give up with you!

I might leave fans on full pelt for a bit to see if them actually getting some use (who buys a £500 GPU to use it anyway?) resolves the issue at all.

I am seriously worried about your fan mate, wasn't joking that time.

Also, if you hate seing notification icons you can right click beside the notification area and under properties or settings choose "always hide" for afterburner. I joke because I do the same: have evwrything always hidden except 1 or 2 useful things :)

I think I fixed it, screwing in the bracket just under the fan as tight as each screw would go seems to have fixed the noise on first impressions (granted it's only been a couple of minutes), maybe it was catching on one of the screws or something.

Also, what do these lights mean? I thought it was to confirm you had all of the power pins in and it was ready to go, but I've noticed you don't even need all 16 connected for them to light up.

wsVeVPZ.png

So my Msi arrived, 70,4 Asic, which is OK. No coil whine, silent cooler, whatever we know that.
But it gets very hot compared to the G1. I think I'll get G10+H55 as soon as possible.

Will change TIM to see how much I gain in a few minutes.

Please let us know how much temp changes when you redo the TIM. I have this card it does get very hot 4K especially in some games goes to mid 80C's nothing to do with what case you have either same temps in or out of the case on a bench. The internal temps are high regardless MSI should have put a VRM HSF on the back as well.

Fans are still very quiet @ 100% so perhaps MSI designed it to operate this way.

Please let us know how much temp changes when you redo the TIM. I have this card it does get very hot 4K especially in some games goes to mid 80C's nothing to do with what case you have either same temps in or out of the case on a bench. The internal temps are high regardless MSI should have put a VRM HSF on the back as well.

Fans are still very quiet @ 100% so perhaps MSI designed it to operate this way.
Id try a custom 1-1 fan profile. Mine gets to 75c on the stock setting, but maxes at 65c on a custom setting. For benching though i usually set the fan to 80-100% as its such a quiet card anyway.

Not more than 2 degrees, not a solution.
Tomorrow I'll get the G10 and H55 and if you don't mind spending 65£ (your cpu will be happy as well), is the only way.

To be honest MSI has just been lazy, it's the same cooler they used on the 980 which of course was designed to take care of less heat.
At 4K must be even worst, at least I'm at 1440p and only Witcher 3 keeps it at 100% usage.

Last edited:
Id try a custom 1-1 fan profile. Mine gets to 75c on the stock setting, but maxes at 65c on a custom setting. For benching though i usually set the fan to 80-100% as its such a quiet card anyway.
Mine gets to 75C on Arkham Knight @ 4k on stock. Mad Max however goes into mid 80C's on stock profile getting as high as 86C @ 4K.

Mad Max @ 1080 only goes to 67C.

Are you not bothered about the fan wearing out quicker @ 100% speed though will that not make the bearings wear faster?

Last edited:
What's the ambient temperature for you, AWPC?

Although 80c is a little more believable than 3x 95c Inno3D Hybrids, it's still rather high.
Well right now its cool around 54C. The GPU is between 55-57C right now.

As I said earlier in the thread a single 980 Ti does not appear to be enough for 4K on every current or past game. Some games are fine & well within tolerances around the 75-80C range.

Some like Mad Max go well into the mid to high 80's. So for Mad Max I am only playing @ 1080 as that game was the one which burnt 2 x Inno3D cards out :eek: I did not expect it obviously but cannot burn another card out due to 1 game! (which I have finished now anyway).

The simple test is look at temps @ 4k on any game maxxed out then play @ 1080 resolution with no other changes watch the temps drop up to 20C which is a massive change. These cards on air are marginal on some games maxxed out @ 4K it puts a massive strain on the entire PC & generates a lot of heat behind the backplate.

Tomorrow I'll get the G10 and H55 and if you don't mind spending 65£ (your cpu will be happy as well), is the only way.

To be honest MSI has just been lazy, it's the same cooler they used on the 980 which of course was designed to take care of less heat.
At 4K must be even worst, at least I'm at 1440p and only Witcher 3 keeps it at 100% usage.
Ok thanks for letting me know I will not bother doing mine for now. 1440 should be fine on air. 4K is the real issue this MSI drops up to 20C between the 2 resolutions on Mad Mad (which really stresses the PC out @ 4K due to how good it looks & the insane ingame detail & shader FX).

Yet Arkham Knight maxxed out (except for broken Gameworks features) @ 4K runs happily around the 75C mark allday long. Older game engine I guess. But as soon as I put Arkham Knight onto 1920x1080 temps drop to 65-67C not as big a drop as Mad Max but still shows this card is marginal on some recent games @ 4K.

MSI really needed a better solution around the backplate region thats where all the heat appears to be trapped its hard to cool as well. If you remove the backpate the card sags badly due to the HSF.

Yeah 4k does push it a bit. I get around 78c or so on my card overclocked to about 1450, a bit of fan noise. If i had the money id probably go for either a pair of fury x in crossfire (assuming i could get ones with pumps that doesn't scream or reverberate) or a pair of the evga hybrids.

Mine gets to 75C on Arkham Knight @ 4k on stock. Mad Max however goes into mid 80C's on stock profile getting as high as 86C @ 4K.

Mad Max @ 1080 only goes to 67C.
Ive only used mine at 1920x1200. Moving to 1440p this week so will be interesting to see if it runs any hotter at stock fan setting. Only use 100% for quick bench runs like 3dm, heaven etc.

Last edited:
Ive only used mine at 1920x1200. Moving to 1440p this week so will be interesting to see if it runs any hotter at stock fan setting.
It will be hotter but not much 4K is the real strain its a massive jump over 6m pixels more than 1080 hence the sudden heat/noise.

I think a single GTX 980 Ti will be fine @ 1440. 4K though really needs as Kaapstad said SLI under water as a minimum for decent FPS.

Surprised your getting 75C @ 1200 though mine is only 65-67C @ 1080 in most games. I do have a 120mm side case fan sucking cool air directly over the backplate & a 2" gap all round now as I moved the card to the 2nd PCI-E slot so its on its own.

The main reason I sent my MSI 980Ti's back was the heat. Regular 85c on 4k bf4, witcher 3 etc they might have throttled. My cpu was being punished pushing a lot of hot air out the case. Could have gotten hybrids but I didn't really like the look especially with 2 cards, mess of pipes.

I expected them to be cooler as my Msi 980's were much cooler. Anyway 1 custom loop later and they love it. 30-35c after hours of gaming at 1450mhz. The cpu is also much happier aswell.

Last edited:
The main reason I sent my MSI 980Ti's back was the heat. Regular 85c on 4k bf4, witcher 3 etc they might have throttled. My cpu was being punished pushing a lot of hot air out the case. Could have gotten hybrids but I didn't really like the look especially with 2 cards, mess of pipes.

I expected them to be cooler as my Msi 980's were much cooler. Anyway 1 custom loop later and they love it. 30-35c after hours of gaming at 1450mhz. The cpu is also much happier aswell.

Nothing can touch a custom loop.

Back
Top Bottom