• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

I've not really read through the last few pages but what temperatures are people getting with the 6G?

Playing The Witcher 3 the past week and never seen it go above 65C. That's with the core running at 1470MHz, memory at 7500MHz, and full fan speed at 1440p with every maxxed minus Hairworks.
86C Mad Max @ 4K maxxed out. 67C @ 1080 Maxxed out!

Batman Arkham Knight @ 4K maxxed out (except for bugged Gameworks features) 66-75C depending on ambient air temps (last night it was only 66C max on the GPU).

4K seems to put a lot of stress on a single card it all depend on the game engine & how new the game is DX11 feature set wise.

I have noted up to 20C difference between 1920x1080 & 3840 x 2160 on Mad Max alone. The MSI like most air cooled 980 Ti traps hot air under the backplate region this is only obvious @ 4K as the card can handle lower resolutions allday but on 4K it seems to struggle a little at times.

86C Mad Max @ 4K maxxed out. 67C @ 1080 Maxxed out!

Batman Arkham Knight @ 4K maxxed out (except for bugged Gameworks features) 66-75C depending on ambient air temps (last night it was only 66C max on the GPU).

4K seems to put a lot of stress on a single card it all depend on the game engine & how new the game is DX11 feature set wise.

I have noted up to 20C difference between 1920x1080 & 3840 x 2160 on Mad Max alone. The MSI like most air cooled 980 Ti traps hot air under the backplate region this is only obvious @ 4K as the card can handle lower resolutions allday but on 4K it seems to struggle a little at times.

I don't know exactly how DSR works but I was playing Mad Max with 4K DSR on 1440p and it rarely every hit 60C with 100% fan speed and the OC.

The only intake fans feeding my SC ACX+ are from the dense, filtered 360 rad cooling my CPU and I don't know what some of y'all are on about with the crazy temps :p

Ok, it can get into the 70's @100% usage (1440p) without vsync/framerate capping, but that's pretty normal for a high end card and I'm not running 100% fans.
Saying that, it's still weird when you're used to water...

Anyway, good for me eh? As you were :)

Lovely purchase Old, I've always loved how the Poseidon cards looked, but I'd imagine they're not too good in an air setup :p - I think if I ever watercool an already-done card will be my choice.

As for the MSI comments - Yeah, I find it weird how after however many months (4-5?) people have only just started commenting on the 6G's temperature, glad to see a bit of balance restored.

Anyone thinking of adding a watercooled 980 Ti to thier loop look no further than the Poseidon its got looks, performance and works out cheaper.

Not sure how it works out cheaper than a card+block even on sale @£620.
The one currently on TWO @£600 barely works out as roughly even or more expensive than a card+block, depending on what card you choose.

I don't know exactly how DSR works but I was playing Mad Max with 4K DSR on 1440p and it rarely every hit 60C with 100% fan speed and the OC.
Not the same as 4K which is approx 8.6million pixels :eek: hence the high temps vs 1080 = 2.3million pixels!

4K puts a massive demand on any PC which is why I think the temps rise fast a single GTX 980 Ti is just not really quite enough in most recent games.

Not the same as 4K which is approx 8.6million pixels :eek: hence the high temps vs 1080 = 2.3million pixels!

4K puts a massive demand on any PC which is why I think the temps rise fast a single GTX 980 Ti is just not really quite enough in most recent games.

Yes and no. 4k will be hot because a single card on any demanding game will be at 99% all the time if not most of the time. So 1080p and 1440 will be cooler because of the lower usage as with v-sync the card will be running a lot less power. It's not the resolution it's the strain on the GPU that causes the temps so 1080p everything to the max, no v-sync. That will heat your card to the same temperature as 4k.

85c is evidence you shouldn't be running 4k with a single card. And possibly you need better airflow through your case. Running the Gpu out of the case will give you the same temps. As the air will just sit there around the GPU and you will have no continuous movement of air and pressure to the card. As you would in a well optimised case.

In my old 750D I was seeing cooler temperatures with 2x Msi 980Ti's, SLI adds a lot of heat to the top card. And yes was 4k at 60hz.

Last edited:
Yes and no. 4k will be hot because a single card on any demanding game will be at 99% all the time if not most of the time. So 1080p and 1440 will be cooler because of the lower usage as with v-sync the card will be running a lot less power. It's not the resolution it's the strain on the GPU that causes the temps so 1080p everything to the max, no v-sync. That will heat your card to the same temperature as 4k.

85c is evidence you shouldn't be running 4k with a single card. And possibly you need better airflow through your case. Running the Gpu out of the case will give you the same temps. As the air will just sit there around the GPU and you will have no continuous movement of air and pressure to the card. As you would in a well optimised case.

We've been over all this a couple of pages back, it just falls on deaf ears.

Are you handy with a screwdriver? You can basically make the Seahawk yourself. - The Pumpkin edition is the exact same as the 6G, just orange and 21MHz core clock which you could spend 30 seconds changing yourself :p - A couple of pictures here, but I am not too sure how true to life they will be. http://www.techpowerup.com/216452/msi-announces-geforce-gtx-980-ti-gaming-golden-edition.html

I'd personally just get the 6G, and if its temperatures/noise aren't good enough, spend another £60 on the Kraken G10 + H55 and make your own Seahawk version. - Yes it's the same price (at the moment, at least), but you could be happy without the AIO strapped to it in which case you would've saved £60.

A lot of people on here are very happy with the acoustics of their 6Gs and that's the most important thing to you at the end of the day.

If I had poor case airflow isues then how come 1080 gaming for me is so cool the card rarely uses its own fans.

4K is the only issue its puts massive strain on the GPU due to X4 as many pixels to render, light, apply AF,AA, ambient occlusion etc etc as 1080!!

This evening due to the lower ambient air temps I am not even breaking into 70C after several hours on Arkham Knight @ 4K maxxed out.

Soon as I load Mad Max @ 4K it jumps around 15C. Soon as I put Mad Max ingame back to 1080 temps go back to mid 60C's.

Nothing to do with case airflow its all about 4K & the backplate trapping heat (look at any reviews for recent air cooled 980 Ti thermal images they all show the same results red hotspots around the backplate around 100C mark).

If I had poor case airflow isues then how come 1080 gaming for me is so cool the card rarely uses its own fans.

4K is the only issue its puts massive strain on the GPU due to X4 as many pixels to render, light, apply AF,AA, ambient occlusion etc etc as 1080!!

This evening due to the lower ambient air temps I am not even breaking into 70C after several hours on Arkham Knight @ 4K maxxed out.

Soon as I load Mad Max @ 4K it jumps around 15C. Soon as I put Mad Max ingame back to 1080 temps go back to mid 60C's.

Nothing to do with case airflow its all about 4K & the backplate trapping heat (look at any reviews for recent air cooled 980 Ti thermal images they all show the same results red hotspots around the backplate around 100C mark).

Different games put different loads on the GPU, Some might use more memory, Some might use more GPU, Some might be heavily CPU dependant, All depends on the game engine.

Back
Top Bottom