• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

If I had poor case airflow isues then how come 1080 gaming for me is so cool the card rarely uses its own fans.

4K is the only issue its puts massive strain on the GPU due to X4 as many pixels to render, light, apply AF,AA, ambient occlusion etc etc as 1080!!

This evening due to the lower ambient air temps I am not even breaking into 70C after several hours on Arkham Knight @ 4K maxxed out.

Soon as I load Mad Max @ 4K it jumps around 15C. Soon as I put Mad Max ingame back to 1080 temps go back to mid 60C's.

Nothing to do with case airflow its all about 4K & the backplate trapping heat (look at any reviews for recent air cooled 980 Ti thermal images they all show the same results red hotspots around the backplate around 100C mark).

What speed are your fans going? I rarely ever hit above 60C in Mad Max using 4K DSR as I said earlier.

You're getting higher temps at 1080p than I'm getting at 1440p.

Okay, so I have a question that may not be best asked here as I'm sure a lot of you tend to play with the latest stuff, but Setter's comment reminded me of it...

We've all heard about 'just adding another card for SLI in a year or two', but how many of you actually do it, and if you have done it, can you stand by it?

Ive had both 670 and 780 sli recently. Both times i started with a single card, then when i needed a boost i added another. Usually a secondhand card. Has really helped, but tbh sli isnt always perfect. But when working properly i do like it and id happily do it again. Owned a pretty wide range of sli setups over the years, starting with 6800gt's in the first system i ever built.

Okay, so I have a question that may not be best asked here as I'm sure a lot of you tend to play with the latest stuff, but Setter's comment reminded me of it...

We've all heard about 'just adding another card for SLI in a year or two', but how many of you actually do it, and if you have done it, can you stand by it?

I had a 770 for a good while then when it started to struggle I got another and both lasted me an extra year before my TI.

I tested with GTAV and I wouldn't have been able to play the way I wanted with just one.

I am planning on doing the exact same with the TI as SLI compatibility is getting better, and it really does extend the lifetime of your rig

I see, thank you Setter, String and CGamble :)

I'm just thinking about the future at the moment. My last rig I cheaped out on a motherboard so I couldn't pop another card in, but that's different this time around - I suppose it will depend on just how good Pascal is, and when they end up releasing the Titan and the 1080Ti.

Thanks setter, how you liking your new set up 5820K=980Ti and monitor.:)

Hows you by the way, l see the donkeys were kind to you a few weeks back, nice.:cool:

Cheers mate doing good, new system is very nice. Yet to clock it. Monitor hopefully coming tomorrow. So ill be able to get a few games in over the weekend. In total the 980ti has probably only had about three hours use.

Just upgraded from SLI 4GB 670 to 980Ti, could not fault the 670's at all.

But the way things are going performance wise a single Top GPU will meet the needs for most members.

I'd personally just get the 6G, and if its temperatures/noise aren't good enough, spend another £60 on the Kraken G10 + H55 and make your own Seahawk version. - Yes it's the same price (at the moment, at least), but you could be happy without the AIO strapped to it in which case you would've saved £60

Good point. I done just that, as with the MSI 6G Twin Frozr cooler I was seeing up to 79c, but what worried me more was how hot the backplate got to touch, the fans are very quiet though imo. Now with a Hybrid cooler on the 6G, I have never seen a 60c maximum and most importantly the whole card and backplate runs a lot cooler. With push pull SP120 Quiet editions, (1400rpm max rpm) noise is not an issue either.

Well this 980Ti Poseidon was well worth the investment using the DSR:32620x2036p(2.00x) or 2560x1440p setting it does justice to my Sam971D.

Just been playing B4 64 man server, GPU temps never went past 46'c my room temp 21'c 4930k:4.4Ghz+980:1114>1203/Boost.:cool:

Quick question to Strix owners (god I'm needy):

Is there a way to keep the Strix logo on permanently? I've tried a lot of combinations in GeForce LED Visualiser and none of them can keep it permanently on. Flashing distracts me and off seems a bit lacklustre.

Joe! I can feel you're about to sell that Strix.

Fixed a custom BIOS to move the power limit from 109 to 125%, is way too low on the MSI.
When the H55 arrives I'll just set it at 1500 and forget about it.

Last edited:
Fixed a custom BIOS to move the power limit from 109 to 125%, is way too low on the MSI.
When the H55 arrives I'll just set it at 1500 and forget about it.

Also found I use less power limit in general with the Hybrid block fitted. Probably because of the slightly smaller power draw of not having to run those Twin Frozr fans. Only a tiny gain, but on air my 6G refused to go over 1479MHz without artifacts. Now under water, 1516MHz can be had with the same clock settings which gave me 1479, but simply having +43 on the core voltage .

Also found I use less power limit in general with the Hybrid block fitted. Probably because of the slightly smaller power draw of not having to run those Twin Frozr fans. Only a tiny gain, but on air my 6G refused to go over 1479MHz without artifacts. Now under water, 1516MHz can be had with the same clock settings which gave me 1479, but simply having +43 on the core voltage .
Are you using the stock fan (H55)?

Back
Top Bottom