• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Thought it was considering the end FPS are literally the same ?

It is :) the gpu is "producing" the same amount of pixels just the driver (i assume) compresseses them so you get 4 pixels rendered to 1 displayed on a 1080p screen. Its like an epic version of aa

Thats how i understand it anyway. Probably wrong

Having had 1080-4k dsr and 4k native. 4k native runs ever so slightly better than dsr. Simply because it's powering the pixels with no alteration like dsr where it's got slightly extra work. Anyway regardless both were frames within each other so GPU load was almost identicle.

AWPC you need a case with better flow, or a hybrid for that card. Both my 6Gs were getting lower temps with 4k at max Load than your single card. My case was well optimised. I know we've gone over this 10 times. Cpu cooler and GPU cooler dumping what 400w into to case? Cheap exhaust fan to try remove that heat?

Run it to 86c for 5 minutes. If it's not the case the air inside should feel warm at most.

Last edited:
or a hybrid for that card]

He's managed to burn through three Inno3D Hybrids, and puts it down to 2160p whilst claiming that an open test bench provided the same temperatures so it cannot possibly be the case's fault. As much as you, or anyone else on here has tried to help, it falls on deaf ears.

My G1 Gaming never went anywhere near 90c, even at 2160p, or 3840x2160 with 3440x1440 at the side of it for that matter..

He's managed to burn through three Inno3D Hybrids, and puts it down to 2160p whilst claiming that an open test bench provided the same temperatures so it cannot possibly be the case's fault. As much as you, or anyone else on here has tried to help, it falls on deaf ears.

My G1 Gaming never went anywhere near 90c, even at 2160p, or 3840x2160 with 3440x1440 at the side of it for that matter..
Not hybrids at all it was the X3 Ultra model. It was only 2 which burnt out (I sent the 3rd replacement back unopened & swapped for the MSI 6G) the first X3 lasted 53 days from July to early sept when ambient air temps were way higher. The brand new replacement lasted only 6 days in mid sept when ambient air temps were way lower.

Both times I had a 120mm side case fan blowing cool air onto the backplate (on the Inno3D it traps lot of hot air any review with thermal images shows it gets to 101C & there are hotspots under there regardless of case type & number of case fans).

Its a shame as the Inno3D X3 actually has a better HSF & temps than the MSI 6G & lower fan noise (Inno3D is silent MSI 6G is almost but not quiet silent).

Out of the case the MSI still reaches the same temps @ 4K. With or without a 120mm fan being held over it!! To me that means the backplate is trapping heat.

Drop down to 1080 most games struggle to hit 70C on the MSI 6G. The differential between 1080 & 4K on Mad Max is around 20C!

Arkham Knight @ 4K is around 67-75C depending on ambient air temps. 1080 it loses up to 10-12C.

As other owners have agreed a single air cooled GTX 980 Ti is marginal for some games @ 4K @ 60FPS. If you have hybrid or full water your less likely to notice as overall temps are lower.

What does not help is GPU Boost 2.0 if you set a GPU temp the card jerks around yet at the same time GPU Boost 2.0 is causing heat issues by boosting the GPU to try & maintain a decent FPS @ 4K.

IMO Nvidia should make GPU Boost 2.0 an optional driver component in future not enforced in the bios as it artificially enhances the GPU but the stock HSF is not really up to 4K @ 60FPS due to backplate temp issues!

Mad Max is the only game so far I have noticed it struggles @ 4K @ 60FPS so I now play that @ 1080 for a quiet no more RMA life!!

There are many factors at play when assessing a cards thermal performance, but the only factor that means anything is the GPU usage. Everything else is just an influence on that.

If you're gaming at 1080p on a 4k screen because you're scared of frying your 4th card, then you're doing it wrong.

Which do you consider to be the best performing 980 Ti?

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Thanks

Either the MSI Lightning, Zotac AMP or Asus Matrix Platinum. Sorry, not exactly sure which one out of those, though I shouldn't think there will be much between them at all.

Back
Top Bottom