• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

So you are sitting between 60-70C at 1080p?
Yep most games are around 65C @ 4K except for Mad Max that goes to well over 80C @ 4K but drop down to 1080 it drops up to 20C in a few moments to just over 60C.

All depends on ambient air temps but most of the time @ 4K I am only seeing 70-75C max except for Mad Max (Mad Max is also the game which fried the 2 dead Cards both times I was playing that & they just burnt out instantly without warning with the burning smell coming from under the backplate region even days after it had burnt out thats how strong the toxic smell was!).

If I play everything @ 1080 the card struggles to even reach mid 60's regardless of ambient air temps thats how I know its not case or case airflow how much closer can you stick a 120mm side case fan mine is under 1cm away from the backplate supplying plenty of cold air!! Push or pull makes no temps difference neither does holding a 120mm fan at an angle blowing hot air away from the backplate in or out of the case the temp is the same its always around the backplate where the VRM's go red hot & produce insane temps!!

Mad Max @ 4K = GPU killer if its air cooled only :eek:

This resolution talk doesn't really make sense, it's about how much load there is on the gpu.
Its makes perfect sense!

4K=8.3 million pixels
1080 = 2.073 million

4K is 6.3 million more pixels thats why these cards on air are marginal thermally on certain games!

Try playing Mad Max on 1080 with Factor x4 DSR (the max setting) let me know the temps on your GPU via GPU-Z then you will understand exactly what I am talking about!!

Some games are optimised so well it makes less difference thermally but when the real cold weather kicks in I expect it will be noticed by others games.

Uncle petey>Unfortunately with the cooler being so big as you can see the there is hardly any airflow between the cards. So the top card gets really hot. And as much as I love this setup I am going to return one of them or sell it via MM.

It hits 83-90 depending on the temp in the room. That was using valley and heaven to test the cards.

In single card mode it just like any other single card setup for the most part besides hybrid and watercooled cards.

I tried sticking a fan to get some air in between teh cards but it just too hot.

The cooler is pretty good just with the lack of spacing on my motherboard and the coolers being big it's a no go.

Gerard>Yeah in SLI it is as I use a aggressive fan profile but in single card it no worse than other similar cards of it kind.

Idle temps @ 4K (I run Stardocks Deskcapes application which provides video backgrounds for Win7,8,10). So the video engine is using a few % here at all times.
zvd.png

Below is Batman Arkham Knight temps @ 4K after 10 mins going crazy flying around the city & using the Batmobile which really gives the card a good workout as I keep alternating between the 2 flying around like superman!!
Before I go ingame on the main menu.
qaw.png

After ingame flying around:
djq.png

Now Mad Max a few moments later @ 1920x1080.
7zj.png

Now 4K ingame resolution change look at the temp spikes!!
8a5.png

d56.png

few seconds later back @ 1920x1080!!
7fe.png

If I stayed @ 4K ingame in Mad Max the temps continue to climb until it gets to 85-86C & in an ingame storm the temps get even higher as that puts an even bigger load on the GPU.

Ambient air temps are a little higher right now as we had the central heating on earlier its cold this evening! This is on std MSI GPU Boost 2.0 settings with a 120mm side case fan pulling cold air in directly over the backplate from 1cm away & I just added a ghetto mod 92mm fan to push more air away from the backplate mounted inside the case about 1cm from the PSU end of the backplate to cool it a little more. Its very hard to capture the screen shot when its using more GPU %.

AWPC. Did you try setting a temperature target of 80c in Afterburner / Precision like I suggested a few pages ago? It seems your fan speeds are high enough for the temps (i.e. >80% for 80c). This should stop your card going over 80c at 4K.

Also maybe buy better case fans to replace the ones you have (I recommend https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cooler-master-120mm-jetflo-fan-1600rpm-white-fg-021-cm.html for your 120mm intake in the front of the case.)

Lastly, please check that in your BIOS the case fans are running at 100% or at least 75% and not accordingnto your CPU temperatures (I think CPU-Z is able to monitor case fan speeds in windows)

New case AWPC put simply. 750D high airflow edition. People reported quite a few degrees on the GPU dropped with the high airflow front. But either way you need better fans. That mass of HDD cages and cables at the front is going to give you minimal airflow to the GPU. That 120mm exhaust is aswell. That way with the new case you can have fans directly under the GPU to provide fresh air to the fans. And fans on the top to help remove it. I'd easy expect 10c less on your GPU.

AWPC. Did you try setting a temperature target of 80c in Afterburner / Precision like I suggested a few pages ago? It seems your fan speeds are high enough for the temps (i.e. >80% for 80c). This should stop your card going over 80c at 4K.

Also maybe buy better case fans to replace the ones you have (I recommend https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cooler-master-120mm-jetflo-fan-1600rpm-white-fg-021-cm.html for your 120mm intake in the front of the case.)

Lastly, please check that in your BIOS the case fans are running at 100% or at least 75% and not accordingnto your CPU temperatures (I think CPU-Z is able to monitor case fan speeds in windows)
Yeah tried that a few days ago all it does is make the card stutter a bit @ 4K in some games.

Case fans are running @ 100% but they max out around 1000RPM as they are silent so not max CFM models which are too noisy for me as I only sit 1ft away from the PC!!

I was doing fan % 10 points higher than the temp. So 50degrees was 60% fan etc.

Moved it down to 1:1 now though as I altered a few other fans in my case so currently looking at about 55-65 degrees for the games I play. Skyrim at 4k maxxed out and gtav on 1440p maxxed until I upgrade the rest of my rig.

New case AWPC put simply. 750D high airflow edition. People reported quite a few degrees on the GPU dropped with the high airflow front. But either way you need better fans. That mass of HDD cages and cables at the front is going to give you minimal airflow to the GPU. That 120mm exhaust is aswell. That way with the new case you can have fans directly under the GPU to provide fresh air to the fans. And fans on the top to help remove it. I'd easy expect 10c less on your GPU.
The HDD cages do not interfere as they are above the front 120mm case fan there is another 92mm side case fan behind the HDD cages to supply the air for them.

There is nothing in the way of the 120mm front case fan the airflow is uninterrupted.

For now I have ghetto modded a 92mm fan suspended on cable ties so its directly above at an angle to the backplate blasting cold air onto the backplate to help push it to the exhaust fan at the back. Its made a few C difference so far.

Backplate is still crazy hot though the temps are internal from the VRM's hard to see how to make them much lower without going to water.

If you want a quiet pc without getting too hot AND better performance at 4K

YOU NEED A NEW CASE!

The temp limit at 80c causes stuttering because one card at stock speeds is not enough for a smooth 4k framerate.

If you want silent fans you need more space inside the case (so there is more air to heat up and more space for it to convect away from your card) and more fans working in line (i.e. 2 large fans in the front blowing air through towards the back, not more fans inside redirecting the warm air.

So a deeper case (distance from motherboard to side panel) with more fan intakes in the front will help you to have better performance at 4k without too much noise.

You cannot have everything with your current set up:
- More fans at higher speeds makes temps lower so more performance but more noise
- Fans at lower speeds or temp limit means less performance so stuttering

Honestly if you want max details and a good framerate in 4k you need SLI or you turn down details or you frame rate limit to 30fps or you buy a better case.

I don't think you need any more replies from anyone here in this thread, you already have all the information you need. You are simply being unrealistic with your performance expectations in that case with that monitor and those detail settings. 4K with a single card does not allow max details at 60fps on the most demanding games. That will maybe be possible next year with Pascal GPUs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom