• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

If you want a quiet pc without getting too hot AND better performance at 4K

YOU NEED A NEW CASE!

Or you could just get a Hybrid model and typically see a 20c drop compared to air. Also find the whole card runs cooler and my cpu cooler also kicks our less heat than with a normal open aftermarket cooler.

Might get some stick for this, but can a single 980ti run on a 500w psu? (Evga). I have ran a r9 290 with a large overclock on it and it was totally fine zero issue and supposedly that uses more watts etc.
I don't run any lights or any case fans at all other than cpu fan and whats on the gpu and no DVD drive. Pretty much a bare bones system ran without the cover on.
To be honest it's not a hard task getting a different psu. I'm just wondering as I see people using high wattage power supplies yet on every power consumption test, I've never seen a 980ti or any modern single card approach 500w in total system consumption.
I will add I'm not advocating using small power supplies or not having a good buffer for what you need but it seems many go over the top in what's actually required.

They use roughly the same, give or take.

Fwiw, I did a quick little test last night @1440p with a bit of Assetto and the beast of game benches: Sleeping Dogs Extreme and it was all pretty much 330-370w avg at the wall, with a brief peak of around 470w at the end of the SD bench.

This is with a couple of D5's, 2xHDD, 2xSSD, 4 fans and a hungry 3970x @4.4 if any of that helps :)

They use roughly the same, give or take.

Fwiw, I did a quick little test last night @1440p with a bit of Assetto and the beast of game benches: Sleeping Dogs Extreme and it was all pretty much 330-370w avg at the wall, with a brief peak of around 470w at the end of the SD bench.

This is with a couple of D5's, 2xHDD, 2xSSD, 4 fans and a hungry 3970x @4.4 if any of that helps :)

As a matter of interest, how did you test this? Do you have something to plug everything into?

Overclocking the ti is pretty tedious, seems like i can get it stable at around 1460 in most games then the odd game out will crash it. Dirt rally benchmark is ok in 4k ultra, add 4xmsaa which taxes the card more and it takes a dump on itself. Gta v is another odd ball, i can play for an hour or so totally stable, then occasionally i play for 10 mins and it will crap out with a d3d error.

Been a while since i tinkered with overclocking gpu's as it never really seen that much of a gain on the amd side for the most part so not something I've bothered with for literally years.

While i like the strix card i'm thinking i should have held out for an evga hybrid. Would have actually been cheaper as i bought this strix while it was in limited supply at £675 or thereabouts. :eek:

settings.JPG

Settings in case anyone has any suggestions, i have had the voltage maxxed , made little difference.

Last edited:
Overclocking the ti is pretty tedious, seems like i can get it stable at around 1460 in most games then the odd game out will crash it. Dirt rally benchmark is ok in 4k ultra, add 4xmsaa which taxes the card more and it takes a dump on itself. Gta v is another odd ball, i can play for an hour or so totally stable, then occasionally i play for 10 mins and it will crap out with a d3d error.

Been a while since i tinkered with overclocking gpu's as it never really seen that much of a gain on the amd side for the most part so not something I've bothered with for literally years.

While i like the strix card i'm thinking i should have held out for an evga hybrid. Would have actually been cheaper as i bought this strix while it was in limited supply at £675 or thereabouts. :eek:

settings.JPG

Settings in case anyone has any suggestions, i have had the voltage maxxed , made little difference.

Can't offer much suggestion on the topic unfortunately, but I have been overclocking my ti also recently, but didn't really run into many issues. My card also saw little to no difference 55mV+.

Currently still testing, but seems stable at the below setting so far:

Afterburner2.png

This is with the MSI 6G. ASIC of 68.1%.

Most hards hit the power limit before the voltage limit from what I've seen anyway, which means going to water or flashing the bios. As the fans ramp up they actually use a noticable amount of the total power (you can monitor this by tracking power usage at a fixed repeating benchmark & ramping the fans to 100%).

I gained a bit of performance by simply moving to water alone (less energy used on fans) I then unlocked the power limits by flashing the bios on both cards. Combine this with the lack of thermal throttling & you tend to see the reliable performance gains. This is running 2 cheapo MSI reference cards.

If you want a quiet pc without getting too hot AND better performance at 4K

YOU NEED A NEW CASE!

The temp limit at 80c causes stuttering because one card at stock speeds is not enough for a smooth 4k framerate.

If you want silent fans you need more space inside the case (so there is more air to heat up and more space for it to convect away from your card) and more fans working in line (i.e. 2 large fans in the front blowing air through towards the back, not more fans inside redirecting the warm air.

So a deeper case (distance from motherboard to side panel) with more fan intakes in the front will help you to have better performance at 4k without too much noise.

You cannot have everything with your current set up:
- More fans at higher speeds makes temps lower so more performance but more noise
- Fans at lower speeds or temp limit means less performance so stuttering

Honestly if you want max details and a good framerate in 4k you need SLI or you turn down details or you frame rate limit to 30fps or you buy a better case.

I don't think you need any more replies from anyone here in this thread, you already have all the information you need. You are simply being unrealistic with your performance expectations in that case with that monitor and those detail settings. 4K with a single card does not allow max details at 60fps on the most demanding games. That will maybe be possible next year with Pascal GPUs.
Thanks for your input I think my case is not really the issue but I have just ordered a few high flow 75CFM case fans (current ones are only 40-50CFM) from OCUK & will see what effect that has before buying anymore (currently I have 5 of them airflow is not an issue I have at least a 2" gap around the GPU).

As you mentioned a single GTX 980 Ti is probably unrealistic of me for 4K in all games with 60FPS.

Mad Max @4K is the only game I have found serious temp issues with so far. Fallout 4 is the next game I am planning to spend any major time with hopefully Bethesda have optimised it well!

AWPC, if you have used other cards in that case fine then i doubt higher cfm fans will do much, maybe 2 degrees but not much more.
I would guess you just have a hot card.

Most hards hit the power limit before the voltage limit from what I've seen anyway, which means going to water or flashing the bios. As the fans ramp up they actually use a noticable amount of the total power (you can monitor this by tracking power usage at a fixed repeating benchmark & ramping the fans to 100%).

I gained a bit of performance by simply moving to water alone (less energy used on fans) I then unlocked the power limits by flashing the bios on both cards. Combine this with the lack of thermal throttling & you tend to see the reliable performance gains. This is running 2 cheapo MSI reference cards.

I can second that voltage usage by the fans, I was maxing out at 109 on my MSI ti with the fans, when I added it to my loop it barely touches 100 :)

settings.JPG

How come your power limit tops out at 110% my evga classified has 115% on it's stock bios. I run mine stable at 1455mhz and +600 on the ram using afterburner and it is fine even on witcher 3. No point using the voltage as it uses some of your power limit up and really makes little or no difference at least on my ti. Highest core and ram OC tested on witcher 3 should be good.

Regarding the evga hybrid which i also own for my sli setup. I tried the hybrid in the top slot in single gpu and it just can't hold the overclock rock solid like the classy which never wavers on games and holds 1455mhz at all times. The hybrid could drop into the 1300's and so the games ran at lower fps at 4k. Although it makes a perfect sli card where both gpu's can hold rock steady at 1455mhz. That's why i don't like stock gpus for single card gaming which the hybrid is with attached cooler but they are fine for sli.

Another point is that at 4k the memory overclocking matters more than core, i see greater gains with memory than getting a few more mhz on the core which does not do much after a point. Lower your core a bit and up the memory without doubt. Get a stable core for witcher 3 with no red flashing artifacts and try to aim for +500 or more on the vram.

Last edited:
AWPC, if you have used other cards in that case fine then i doubt higher cfm fans will do much, maybe 2 degrees but not much more.
I would guess you just have a hot card.
MSI GTX 780 Ti reference was the card before that was even hotter but resolution was a little lower @ 2560x1080 as I had a 21:9 monitor then.

The MSI GTX 980 Ti 6G is a superb card but the HSF is marginal at best anything for over 1080 gaming the backplate traps a massive amount of heat.

I have seen thermal images from reviews its around 100C hotspots on the backplate this is where the temp spikes are. Even if I can only get 2C cooler from high CFM fans that will help a little.

I will probably go water cooling on the card sooner or later it seems the only way forward for 4K with no hassle.

Just spent abit time overclocking my 980 Ti Poseidon to see how she fairs with Power Limit at 110% and no increase in voltage it reached 1260:1349MHz Boost / Memory:2003MHz.

Did a run in Heaven 4 results> FPS:100.8 / Score:2540 / Min FPS:31.7 MaxFPS:211.5 and my 4930K:4.2GHz, room ambient temp:20'c and GPU never went over 48'c.

H4%20OCUK_zpsnlpbywat.jpg

settings.JPG

Try without voltage, is more likely to make things unstable than anything.
As far as clocks go, 1400-1550 is the range where all Tis end up, there is nothing wrong with your card.

Back
Top Bottom