• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Lovin my 980ti...so much so that I might skip Pascal. I say that now but of course things can change quickly as new cards will get optimized and new games come out and push the envelope. However after overlocking to 1275hmz core clock, 1503mhz boost clock, 4000mhz mem, 1.23v, 65C in heaven and 1879 score I am pretty impressed with how much you can push these cards. Maxwell has been superb and Pascal will have to provide me with some substantial gains to upgrade. SLI 980ti maybe? :)
Something is not right there if you have only 1879 score in heaven. without OC my 980ti has 2250 score.

different settings? i've got mine under water and am now getting 1530/8000 bf4 stable at 44 degrees stock volts 1.193 - it may go higher - i haven't even checked.

Pascal does look like a beast though.

Quick question for anyone who might be able to advise (hope I am not in the wrong forum),

I know the 10x series cards are due soon but I'm considering going SLI with my EVGA 980 ti instead as the prices are coming down. I know I should wait more for 1080 etc to come out but I have found a really good priced 980 ti new so if I get the information I need I might do this and miss the 1080.

First of all, Would a Corsair RM 850 Gold PSU be enough to run my system below (Considering I could be adding a second 980 ti)?

i7-4770K @ 4Ghz
Corsair H100i GT
EVGA GTX 980 ti
16GB DDR3 Avexir 2400Mhz
Maximus VII Hero
1x 8TB Hard Drive
1x 1TB Hard Drive
1x 256GB Samsung 840 SSD

Secondly, is SLI worth the hassle? Having never experienced SLI I don't personally know what to expect, reading various forums have mixed responses on whether it's good or bad?

Finally, is SLI'ing 2 980 ti's beneficial at this point or would cutting my losses on the single 980 ti and moving to 1080 or 1080 ti be more beneficial? (Possibly hard to say I understand until benchmarks etc are released).

Just looking for some general advice really as I payed over £500 for the 980 ti and would be a shame to sell at quite a loss.

Heat is not really an issue i dont think, as they are reference cards i believe they deal with sli heat better. Just the psu is my main concern.

Edit: If SLI is actually worthwhile then I might upgrade my PSU at the same time, maybe a 1000w or something but really need to know if SLI is worthwhile, what are peoples experiences etc with it?

Last edited:
Personally, I would upgrade to a 1000w PSU. I'm intending to go SLI when I get the right card at the right price.

Typing on stupid phone right now, yeah I am thinking the same thing upgrade psu but want to get peoples first hand experiences and thoughts with sli setups.

Thanks by the way for your replies ;)

Typing on stupid phone right now, yeah I am thinking the same thing upgrade psu but want to get peoples first hand experiences and thoughts with sli setups.

Thanks by the way for your replies ;)

No worries.

I've had a few SLI setups before, and it does get frustrating when things don't work. My thinking is that a single card will be fine for most titles anyway, but the SLI when it works will be a great boost.

No worries.

I've had a few SLI setups before, and it does get frustrating when things don't work. My thinking is that a single card will be fine for most titles anyway, but the SLI when it works will be a great boost.

What exactly do you mean by when things don't work? I have read issues with drivers, micro stuttering and lack of SLI profiles etc but I have no real idea how bad SLI really is?

I guess the bottom line is whether or not SLI is worth it or not, right now I play at 2560x1440 and games like Witcher 3 could do with a boost, eventually I move to 4K but thats another matter. SLI interests me but if its best avoided I will sell my single 980 ti at a loss and go for either 1080 or 1080 ti if there will be one.

Does anyone else have any sli experience, good, bad whats your thoughts?

Sometimes SLI has no support at all and it's like the second card doesn't exist. Sometimes the support is bad and the stutterfest is unbearable, at which point you'll end up disabling the second card at driver level.

It may work partially so that both cards are maybe running at 70%, which is better than single card. And then when you get a good title with excellent support, your system will outperform a 1080 and probably a 1080ti when it comes around.

P.s. I'll leave others to offer their opinion now, I've said enough!

Last edited:
Sometimes SLI has no support at all and it's like the second card doesn't exist. Sometimes the support is bad and the stutterfest is unbearable, at which point you'll end up disabling the second card at driver level.

It may work partially so that both cards are maybe running at 70%, which is better than single card. And then when you get a good title with excellent support, your system will outperform a 1080 and probably a 1080ti when it comes around.

P.s. I'll leave others to offer their opinion now, I've said enough!

Ok cheers ;)

What exactly do you mean by when things don't work? I have read issues with drivers, micro stuttering and lack of SLI profiles etc but I have no real idea how bad SLI really is?

I guess the bottom line is whether or not SLI is worth it or not, right now I play at 2560x1440 and games like Witcher 3 could do with a boost, eventually I move to 4K but thats another matter. SLI interests me but if its best avoided I will sell my single 980 ti at a loss and go for either 1080 or 1080 ti if there will be one.

Does anyone else have any sli experience, good, bad whats your thoughts?

I first went SLI with the 780Ti and never looked back, had the 980's in SLI and now the 980Ti's.

SLI performance in the main games that I play like GTA Online, The Crew and the Division are extremely good. SLI scaling in these three games is pretty much perfect, I can get 99% usage on both cards easily if a particular area is demanding.

It is a pain when some games don't support SLI so you are forced to use one card. Batman Arkham Knight was supposed to support SLI but the developer did a crap job and it never worked as it should have, that game now only uses one card unfortunately.

I personally don't see any micro stuttering but this may vary from person to person. I am quite fussy with image tearing and stuttering and I find the frame rate very smooth when everything works ok.

I personally could never go back to a single card as I really like the extra performance SLI is capable of providing as long as the developer does a good job. No idea what things are going to be like when DX12 goes mainstream but DX12 should be amazing for multiple GPU's as long as the developers do a good job supporting it.

I tend to game at 3325x1871 or sometimes 4K or even 1440p (using DSR) if the game is really demanding in SLI with all settings maxed out (no AA) to maintain 60fps. The image is downscaled to 1080p for me and games look really sharp and crisp.

I know, two 980Ti's and a 1080p screen but even two aren't quite enough on occasion for what I do with them :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I first went SLI with the 780Ti and never looked back, had the 980's in SLI and now the 980Ti's.

SLI performance in the main games that I play like GTA Online, The Crew and the Division are extremely good. SLI scaling in these three games is pretty much perfect, I can get 99% usage on both cards easily if a particular area is demanding.

It is a pain when some games don't support SLI so you are forced to use one card. Batman Arkham Knight was supposed to support SLI but the developer did a crap job and it never worked as it should have, that game now only uses one card unfortunately.

I personally don't see any micro stuttering but this may vary from person to person. I am quite fussy with image tearing and stuttering and I find the frame rate very smooth when everything works ok.

I personally could never go back to a single card as I really like the extra performance SLI is capable of providing as long as the developer does a good job. No idea what things are going to be like when DX12 goes mainstream but DX12 should be amazing for multiple GPU's as long as the developers do a good job supporting it.

I tend to game at 3325x1871 or sometimes 4K or even 1440p (using DSR) if the game is really demanding in SLI with all settings maxed out (no AA) to maintain 60fps. The image is downscaled to 1080p for me and games look really sharp and crisp.

I know, two 980Ti's and a 1080p screen but even two aren't quite enough on occasion for what I do with them :)

Good stuff thanks :)

I think regardless I might just take the plunge into SLI, it's something I have put off each year mostly after various things I read but sometimes I guess you need to experience something first hand yourself. 1080/ti sounds promising but to sell my 980ti now with a loss after less then a year is a bit mad really so if I can nab another 980ti and SLI it I think will be a good idea.

Just need to decide or find confirmation if my Corsair RM850 gold is up to the job of SLI'ing these cards or whether to upgrade psu at the same time.

Good stuff thanks :)

I think regardless I might just take the plunge into SLI, it's something I have put off each year mostly after various things I read but sometimes I guess you need to experience something first hand yourself. 1080/ti sounds promising but to sell my 980ti now with a loss after less then a year is a bit mad really so if I can nab another 980ti and SLI it I think will be a good idea.

Just need to decide or find confirmation if my Corsair RM850 gold is up to the job of SLI'ing these cards or whether to upgrade psu at the same time.

The PSU should be ok, I use the Corsair 860i and while powering two stock overclocked 980Ti's, 3 HDD, 1 SSD, PCIe TV Tuner, 9 fans, lots of USB devices and a 4790k (stock speed) the system while gaming never really tops 550w the majority of the time and tends to hover around the 500w mark. The 980Ti's are really efficient cards.

Only time I have seen my system pass 600w is when running furmark along with the Aida 64 CPU stress test, so that's a worst case scenario.

My PSU is now about 3yrs old and has been running 24/7 since I have had it without a single issue so far.

As long as your PSU is in good working order your current once should be ok.

When I said borderline, this is where I got my info from.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

I ran two 980s on a HX850 but the TI is a bit heavier on the wattage.

Ok thanks for the info :)

The PSU should be ok, I use the Corsair 860i and while powering two stock overclocked 980Ti's, 3 HDD, 1 SSD, PCIe TV Tuner, 9 fans, lots of USB devices and a 4790k (stock speed) the system while gaming never really tops 550w the majority of the time and tends to hover around the 500w mark. The 980Ti's are really efficient cards.

Only time I have seen my system pass 600w is when running furmark along with the Aida 64 CPU stress test, so that's a worst case scenario.

My PSU is now about 3yrs old and has been running 24/7 since I have had it without a single issue so far.

As long as your PSU is in good working order your current once should be ok.

This is great to hear, eventually I need to upgrade my psu but if I can get away with the one I have right now and add another 980ti that would handy indeed :)

How many people here are either selling a single 980 ti and moving to 1080 compared to going from a single 980 ti and SLI'ing it instead?

Back
Top Bottom