• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

If the 1080 gives a 50% improvement then surely it must make sense to get one of those assuming it launches at £550 for a evga superclocked version or similar. Yes slightly less performance than 980ti sli in some games but a fraction of the power requirements and the latest technology with full driver support. If it costs £250 to change then that's not bad value if it gives my rig 50% better graphics performance.

If the 1080 gives a 50% improvement then surely it must make sense to get one of those assuming it launches at £550 for a evga superclocked version or similar. Yes slightly less performance than 980ti sli in some games but a fraction of the power requirements and the latest technology with full driver support. If it costs £250 to change then that's not bad value if it gives my rig 50% better graphics performance.

Honestly though, what's so special about the new "feature"?

It's a mid-range Pascal + GDDR5X, not even HBM, I wouldn't call it the new tech, more like a teaser new tech with useless features (except you're into VR ofc) added to entertain people.

& my Seasonic Snowsilent is still happily running, power doesn't really mean much to my frankly.

I think the RRP is at least 487 + VAT? It doesn't sound like the card would be any less than 580 taking that into account though

My only concern with not jumping on a 1080 ASAP is how much they will gouge for a 1080ti and whether or not I will be willing to spend that sort of money on a GPU, I'm already hardly using this one.

Honestly though, what's so special about the new "feature"?

It's a mid-range Pascal + GDDR5X, not even HBM, I wouldn't call it the new tech, more like a teaser new tech with useless features (except you're into VR ofc) added to entertain people.

& my Seasonic Snowsilent is still happily running, power doesn't really mean much to my frankly.

I think the RRP is at least 487 + VAT? It doesn't sound like the card would be any less than 580 taking that into account though

Reduced heat and noise are always desirable. Does it matter where in the range it is? After all its just a pcb and cooler so if it's 50% faster and uses less power doing it then what else really matters?

I take your point on the rrp but then that affects the resale of the existing card so I think it'll end up being £250 to change no matter what they launch it at as 980ti is still £530 new today.

What exactly do you mean by when things don't work? I have read issues with drivers, micro stuttering and lack of SLI profiles etc but I have no real idea how bad SLI really is?

I guess the bottom line is whether or not SLI is worth it or not, right now I play at 2560x1440 and games like Witcher 3 could do with a boost, eventually I move to 4K but thats another matter. SLI interests me but if its best avoided I will sell my single 980 ti at a loss and go for either 1080 or 1080 ti if there will be one.

Does anyone else have any sli experience, good, bad whats your thoughts?

I am going to throw my thoughts out there and hopefully help you make the best choice.

I went from using a single card for years, to about 2 years of SLI, and now back to a single card.

My memory may serve me incorrect but I think I first added another 670 and was blown away by the increase in FPS. It really is a brilliant tech... when it works.

Over the years I became increasingly more annoyed with it due to lack of support for new titles, having to fiddle with settings, profiles, having to use NVidia inspector to get titles to work, and then more often than not it just not working. Added to that extra noise and heat I had enough last year and sold my 780SLI for a 980ti. Could not be happier, best choice.

If you don't mind experimenting and potentially fighting with settings and profiles for ages to get your games working, then go SLI. If however you value just playing the games and not having to think if your next anticipated title will support SLI then go for the single fastest card you card afford!

I am going to throw my thoughts out there and hopefully help you make the best choice.

I went from using a single card for years, to about 2 years of SLI, and now back to a single card.

My memory may serve me incorrect but I think I first added another 670 and was blown away by the increase in FPS. It really is a brilliant tech... when it works.

Over the years I became increasingly more annoyed with it due to lack of support for new titles, having to fiddle with settings, profiles, having to use NVidia inspector to get titles to work, and then more often than not it just not working. Added to that extra noise and heat I had enough last year and sold my 780SLI for a 980ti. Could not be happier, best choice.

If you don't mind experimenting and potentially fighting with settings and profiles for ages to get your games working, then go SLI. If however you value just playing the games and not having to think if your next anticipated title will support SLI then go for the single fastest card you card afford!

Thanks for adding your feedback :)

Pretty much everywhere I read half the people think SLI is worth it and they have zero problems, the other half say the opposite.

Im thinking just take the plunge regardless and find out for myself how good/bad it really is.

Gonna bump this question I asked on the previous page:

Could anyone hazard a guess as to how much the new cards from overclockers come down to when the 1080 nears release?

My same Evga Reference 980 Ti is pretty much the same price I payed less then a year ago around £540 from here, any idea/guesses whether they will come down in price and for how much?

Definitely set on the idea of SLI'ing these and would prefer a card from new really.

Cheers

Any ideas folks?

Back
Top Bottom