• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Click the coupling image (red) to left of temp and power sliders. Then drag power to 110% and temp to 80c and the toggle the switch to the right (orange) down to point at temp.

With that fan curve up to 80c it will stay below 60% fan, at really low temps (i.e. Desktop and internet /videos) it will be pretty silent, then once in ganes it hits 80c it will stop boosting the card (the 980Ti overclocks "boosts" itself automatically).

Best to leave the gpu and mem offset values below at 0 as this is manual overclocking and requires testing to find what your card can run stably. Even then, I have put mine back to 0 and 0 offsets since my overclock leads to crashes when playing Counter Strike

thanks very much for this ill give it a go when hes off to the pics later :)

So I managed to OC my 980ti and looking at benchmarks online it scored the same as a stock 1080.
Heaven 1080p - 980ti scored 2498, 1080 scored 2500
Heaven 1440p - 980ti scored 1607, 1080 scored 1590

Hardly seems worth the upgrade from the 980ti?

So I managed to OC my 980ti and looking at benchmarks online it scored the same as a stock 1080.
Heaven 1080p - 980ti scored 2498, 1080 scored 2500
Heaven 1440p - 980ti scored 1607, 1080 scored 1590

Hardly seems worth the upgrade from the 980ti?

Bench games you actually play? :)

TBF if I had a 980ti I wouldn't be upgrading.

I wouldn't dream of upgrading from a 980ti to a 1080, but really if you benchmark an overclocked 980ti then you need to compare it to an overclocked 1080 else the exercise is pointless.

I don't think its pointless as it shows the 980ti isn't that far behind a 1080. I was surprised an OCd 980ti matched a stock 1080 given the hype around its performance.

However yes once OCd 1080 benchmarks start coming I'll see a much better comparison between the two.

As above im waiting to see someone post some firestrike extreme sli results. Not that ill be replacing my ti's.

Altho no one "plays" firestrike as some will complain. Its a standardised set of tests that produce a comparable number/score. Honestly cant believe no one in the world has two 1080's and has overclocked and benched them yet.

The 1080 isn't aimed at 980ti owners, surely? apart from those that must have it because it's new and has a bigger number in it's name.

You'd be insane to swap from a reasonably clocked 980ti to a 1080, especially seeing as overclocking is an unknown at the minute what with the locked voltage rendering the custom cards a bit daft.

980ti's also had a reference version that throttled and was voltage locked, but look what happened in actual users hands.

Both my 980ti's had their best overclocks on stock volts. On air increasing voltage just meant higher temps which caused instability at lower clocks. This time I'm putting my pascal card on water.

The 1080 isn't aimed at 980ti owners, surely? apart from those that must have it because it's new and has a bigger number in it's name.

You'd be insane to swap from a reasonably clocked 980ti to a 1080, especially seeing as overclocking is an unknown at the minute what with the locked voltage rendering the custom cards a bit daft.

You are probably right there, especially with the higher 1080 price now £100 more than a 980ti seems a bit steep. I think I will wait until the 1080ti and be patient and see what performance that gives or even skip Pascal.

The MM isn't exactly flooded with 980ti, it's took me a couple of weeks to finally land another for SLI... I think that tells you all you need to know about the 1080.

The 1070 seems to be a cracking buy if it's trading blows with a Titan X, as it'll be within financial reach of a lot of people who have sat on 670's and the like.

The 1080 is a vanity/luxury purchase.

Click the coupling image (red) to left of temp and power sliders. Then drag power to 110% and temp to 80c and the toggle the switch to the right (orange) down to point at temp.

With that fan curve up to 80c it will stay below 60% fan, at really low temps (i.e. Desktop and internet /videos) it will be pretty silent, then once in ganes it hits 80c it will stop boosting the card (the 980Ti overclocks "boosts" itself automatically).

Best to leave the gpu and mem offset values below at 0 as this is manual overclocking and requires testing to find what your card can run stably. Even then, I have put mine back to 0 and 0 offsets since my overclock leads to crashes when playing Counter Strike

hi mate i tried this tonight but seem to have done something wrong as when running the valley benchmark the temp went up to 82 ?

on the installed oc guru 2 software it managed to keep the temp at 73-74 but unfortunatley the osd does not work on that software :(

if you click auto on evga precision does it use the cards already built in curve or the preset one within evga ?

are there no programs at all that allow you to just monitor your cpu and gpu temps while actually playing a game and they have a osd without having to mess with fan settings and so on .

i searched the net but im afraid evga and afterburner were the only two names popping up lol

Skipping it myself, pascal is a stopgap product, that much is obvious as it never showed on their "roadmap" til a while back. Vega or Volta is much more interesting :)

Yeah I'm leaning more towards skipping Pascal completely and seeing what Volta brings. At least then I get a good few years out of my 980ti which handles pretty much everything I throw at it anyway and I don't see games pushing on to much in the next year or so.

hi mate i tried this tonight but seem to have done something wrong as when running the valley benchmark the temp went up to 82 ?

on the installed oc guru 2 software it managed to keep the temp at 73-74 but unfortunatley the osd does not work on that software :(

if you click auto on evga precision does it use the cards already built in curve or the preset one within evga ?

are there no programs at all that allow you to just monitor your cpu and gpu temps while actually playing a game and they have a osd without having to mess with fan settings and so on .

i searched the net but im afraid evga and afterburner were the only two names popping up lol

Auto needs to be on or the fan curve does work. Doesn't matter if you get up to 85c just makes the fan louder. The fan bar to the left of auto should go up and down based on temp. You can get the OSD for evga precision to work but not in all games. Think it is the option lower left

Please post a print screen of your evga precision like I did

Auto needs to be on or the fan curve does work. Doesn't matter if you get up to 85c just makes the fan louder. The fan bar to the left of auto should go up and down based on temp. You can get the OSD for evga precision to work but not in all games. Think it is the option lower left

Please post a print screen of your evga precision like I did

i managed to get it working but unfortunatley the games the lad plays hz1z , ark evolved the osd wont work it seems to be steam related games yet afterburner works ok with it .

That surprised me too. Or is it going to explode when the custom cooled jobbies arrive ? Loads of 980ti's on the bay though.

I think when deliveries of 1080s arrive in people's homes then they will start flogging their 980tis.
That's what I would do anyway. Being without a blast on Doom waiting for a card in the post doesn't bear thinking about:D

That surprised me too. Or is it going to explode when the custom cooled jobbies arrive ? Loads of 980ti's on the bay though.

That actually makes sense.

OcUK MM only allow pretty active users to access, and those who do would have known that upgrading to a 1080 does not make any sense vs getting another 980Ti for SLI, price to performance wise.

So everyone in the MM either 1. sell in the bay for a much better price or 2. wait for another 980Ti to drop at to the 350 mark to grab it for SLI, i.e. it's not going to drop any further in price.

One might argue, but 1070 is at the same performance as 980Ti, which means the 980Ti value will freefall. Theoretically true, but if you think harder it is non-sense. Coz would anyone go through the hassle and side upgrade to a 1070? Nope. Would anyone take the hit and sell their 980Ti for a 1080 for 20-30% increase in performance over grabbing another 980Ti for 50-70% increase in performance? Nope.

That actually makes sense.

OcUK MM only allow pretty active users to access, and those who do would have known that upgrading to a 1080 does not make any sense vs getting another 980Ti for SLI, price to performance wise.

So everyone in the MM either 1. sell in the bay for a much better price or 2. wait for another 980Ti to drop at to the 350 mark to grab it for SLI, i.e. it's not going to drop any further in price.

One might argue, but 1070 is at the same performance as 980Ti, which means the 980Ti value will freefall. Theoretically true, but if you think harder it is non-sense. Coz would anyone go through the hassle and side upgrade to a 1070? Nope. Would anyone take the hit and sell their 980Ti for a 1080 for 20-30% increase in performance over grabbing another 980Ti for 50-70% increase in performance? Nope.

Personally, I opted for a second 980ti at the £350 mark (£370 actually, for a Hybrid). I would love to think I could bypass the 1080ti and wait for the next, but that upgrade itch.... :D

I honestly couldn't sell my Classy for £350 and then have to put another £200 to the proceeds in order to get a card that betters it by so little. So SLI was the only option in my mind.

Back
Top Bottom