• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Personally, I opted for a second 980ti at the £350 mark (£370 actually, for a Hybrid). I would love to think I could bypass the 1080ti and wait for the next, but that upgrade itch.... :D

I honestly couldn't sell my Classy for £350 and then have to put another £200 to the proceeds in order to get a card that betters it by so little. So SLI was the only option in my mind.

Sorry but my immediate reaction to reading your post was yeah I`m going to the bay for SLI.

You wicked person !

Thing is, until we see user results, and for some of us water results, there's no rush to sell

980ti sli vs single 1080 is a tough one, but with 980ti's still going for close to 400, it makes more sense to me to spend 200 on a 1080 for a performance boost all the time, than 400 on a 50% boost in games that support it and nothing in ones that dont

I dont have any games that scale anywhere near 100%

SLI so far i find to be an odd experience, to disable it the control panel starts to moan about having certain apps closed before it will let you, sign in credentials, logitech manager, chrome and a few others, and it seems after its disabled a lot of the time the single gpu will stick on 595mhz making it necessary to reboot the system.

I re-enabled it and both gpu's were at 595mhz though weirdly enough they ran gta 4 maxed pretty well. Can't recall anything similar with crossfire wanting certain apps closed before it could enable or disable, possibly chrome but that was about it. :confused:

Resized from 4k

hQwnHda.jpg

Thing is, until we see user results, and for some of us water results, there's no rush to sell

980ti sli vs single 1080 is a tough one, but with 980ti's still going for close to 400, it makes more sense to me to spend 200 on a 1080 for a performance boost all the time, than 400 on a 50% boost in games that support it and nothing in ones that dont

I dont have any games that scale anywhere near 100%

The third option would be to skip SLI or 1070/80 entirely and wait for 1080Ti, which is why no one's selling and the second hand value of 980Ti still holds :)

Those kids who scream 980Ti will only worth 200 are just not seeing the whole picture lol

Gerard - The 595Mhz thing seems to be a bug as I didn't notice my fps dropping pretty much at all. If you want an accurate reading via AB then yes you'll prob need a restart :)

The third option would be to skip SLI or 1070/80 entirely and wait for 1080Ti, which is why no one's selling and the second hand value of 980Ti still holds :)

Those kids who scream 980Ti will only worth 200 are just not seeing the whole picture lol

Just wait for the 1070 to hit.

It will kill off 980ti in weeks...

Not to mention that I saw someone buy a second hand 780ti for £300 on the bay the other day! So the 980ti should hold price although the 1070 release will bring it down from the £400 mark to the £350 or less mark.

The MM isn't exactly flooded with 980ti, it's took me a couple of weeks to finally land another for SLI... I think that tells you all you need to know about the 1080.

The 1070 seems to be a cracking buy if it's trading blows with a Titan X, as it'll be within financial reach of a lot of people who have sat on 670's and the like.

The 1080 is a vanity/luxury purchase.

Oh how i wish i could get on the members market.

I've only just hit 500 and i joined in 2011 i think :D

Not a very chatty person on here, aspergers and all that.

Nothing to do with me.;)

When people are getting 2 ghz overclocks 1070's for 350 or less in the coming months and the benchmarks are out people will struggle to spend that kind of cash on old cards used without warranty etc...

Yea, but you can't SLI a 1070 with a 980ti, hence the reason the 980ti will retain it's value for a period of time. Obviously, no-one will buy a used 980ti over a new 1070 for a single card set up.

Yea, but you can't SLI a 1070 with a 980ti, hence the reason the 980ti will retain it's value for a period of time. Obviously, no-one will buy a used 980ti over a new 1070 for a single card set up.

I agree. I think there is often confusion when people say the 980ti has had it. Obviously owners of 980ti dont think this and the comment is not aimed at them I think its aimed at the new 980ti market. ie no one is going to buy a new 980ti for £450+ when the 1070 arrives.

To me I dont really care at the moment as the 1070/1080 has no interest. I might be tempted by the 1080ti but by the time that comes out everyone will be talking about the next nvidia gpu so I might just wait.

If I get £150-£200 for my 980ti then it will have been worth its money. Alternatively I might just give it to my brother he's running an AMD 7800 so he will get a massive boost in that scenario.

OK

Scenario 1: You have a 980ti you can buy another in sli for say £300 in MM

Scenario 2: You have a 980ti you can sell in MM for say £300. So you sell it and buy 2 x 1070 in sli.

If the 980ti retains £300 then there is no point buying one for sli. You might aswell sell and get 2 x 1070

If the prices of 980ti dip to £200 then I can see value in getting another...But 300? |Might aswell get in fast get rid and have 2 1070's for all the obvious reasons.

OK

Scenario 1: You have a 980ti you can buy another in sli for say £300 in MM

Scenario 2: You have a 980ti you can sell in MM for say £300. So you sell it and buy 2 x 1070 in sli.

If the 980ti retains £300 then there is no point buying one for sli. You might aswell sell and get 2 x 1070

If the prices of 980ti dip to £200 then I can see value in getting another...But 300? |Might aswell get in fast get rid and have 2 1070's for all the obvious reasons.

In scenario 2 you would have went to the trouble of selling a card at a £300 loss, to then lay out £400 for 2 new cards, to be no further forward in terms of performance, only to see 2 higher performing cards come along within 6 months to a year, with one higher performing card in existence right now.

In scenario 1, you lay out £300 to get the same performance as scenario 2. You then sit back and continue to enjoy the card you paid £600 for, knowing that when the cards come along you have 2 there to sell to fund the purchase of the next King.

Quite simply, I know I'll want to be rid of my 980ti's when the 1080ti comes along, so the 980ti purchase is a stop gap which delays the sale of my current card.

In scenario 2 you would have went to the trouble of selling a card at a £300 loss, to then lay out £400 for 2 new cards, to be no further forward in terms of performance, only to see 2 higher performing cards come along within 6 months to a year, with one higher performing card in existence right now.

In scenario 1, you lay out £300 to get the same performance as scenario 2. You then sit back and continue to enjoy the card you paid £600 for, knowing that when the cards come along you have 2 there to sell to fund the purchase of the next King.

Quite simply, I know I'll want to be rid of my 980ti's when the 1080ti comes along, so the 980ti purchase is a stop gap which delays the sale of my current card.

You would lose less on 1070's though when the 1080ti hits...as its current gen.

Back
Top Bottom