• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

You wouldn't really. You're surely going to lose more on 2 cards you sold after 6 months, than you would selling one card you bought half price (2nd hand) and another you sold after 2 years of ownership?

I bought a GTX 970 for £240 sold it 7 months later for £220...

I think these are the three options:
1. buy and sell after 6-9months which I did with the 970 I bought for £300 and sold for £200 and then bought a 980ti or
2. you keep your card for 2-3 years accept the drop in value and sell for as much as you can get when you next upgrade and not worry about the re-sale price as you are getting your moneys worth keeping the card longer, which I think I will this time with the 980ti.
3. when 980ti stock sells cheap SLI if performance boost needed :)

I think any of them three you will get good value for your investment.

OK

Scenario 1: You have a 980ti you can buy another in sli for say £300 in MM

Scenario 2: You have a 980ti you can sell in MM for say £300. So you sell it and buy 2 x 1070 in sli.

If the 980ti retains £300 then there is no point buying one for sli. You might aswell sell and get 2 x 1070

If the prices of 980ti dip to £200 then I can see value in getting another...But 300? |Might aswell get in fast get rid and have 2 1070's for all the obvious reasons.

You are missing a huge point market here, the watercooling market.

If you factor in the real time market value of 1070 vs 980Ti waterblocks the difference would be obvious.

Further, do you really think you can get a decent 1070 at 300? KFA2 plastic shrouds sure, but I'm not opting for those, while 300-350 should get you a very respectable 980Ti by then for the same performance.

Bottom line is, if you've already sold your 980Ti and set on 1070 go for it, that's not a bad option. But for current 980Ti holders this move is simply too much of a hassle and too much of a hit to take, leading to the decrease in numbers of the circulating 980Ti (and ofc increase in purchase of second handed ones), the current price hence hold.

No ones cares whether how much it'll worth when no one's selling it at that price.

I am tempted to get a 3rd 980ti to last me until the 1080ti's come out and have their worth proven so to speak.

Do we have any tri SLI 980ti owners in here? What sort of PSU do you have? I already have 1000w EVGA gold but would probably move up to 1200w if I did this.

So any 980ti owners contemplating an upgrade to a 1080? According to PC Gamer benchmarks stock vs stock is 26% is that worth the £250ish upgrade if you sold your 980ti for a decent price?
Or will you wait until the 1080ti upgrade? Will the 1080ti be priced higher than the 1080? My guess it will release at £700 for a decent custom cooler if they continue the price rise from the 900 series but it is just a guess and of course we dont know what the performance increase will be.

So any 980ti owners contemplating an upgrade to a 1080? According to PC Gamer benchmarks stock vs stock is 26% is that worth the £250ish upgrade if you sold your 980ti for a decent price?
Or will you wait until the 1080ti upgrade? Will the 1080ti be priced higher than the 1080? My guess it will release at £700 for a decent custom cooler if they continue the price rise from the 900 series but it is just a guess and of course we dont know what the performance increase will be.

Yes, lots of us are, and some titanX owners too.

Shiney things.

New 980Ti owner here :) Picked up a Palit Super Jetstream for £310 delivered. 6 months old and clocks fairly well with 75.6% ASIC to boot.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/12316168

Some coil whine but its fairly minor so not fussed about that. The cooler is great and stays quiet under load with an OC of ~1500/8000 :)

Firestrike graphics score over 20k for £310 will do me fine for when the Vive arrives next week. I would liked to have gotten a 1070 with an aftermarket cooler but my wife would not have been pleased to have to wait to get on the Vive!

So glad i decided to get a second 980Ti instead of getting 2 1080's i dont think personally the investment would have been worth the gain.

Capture_zpsvklmscku.png

00000_zps3rgvlfuk.jpg

Capture3_zpsvrsczmp4.png

My zotec 980ti amp extreme runs at 1455 out of the box, think ill wait to see what the 1080ti offers before i make any decisions.

If I could get nearly £400 for mine I'd certainly have to think about it but they aren't going for that on the bay so nope, still waiting on a Ultra wide IPS G-Sync monitor purchase first anyway and then a new card won't be so important.

Yes, lots of us are, and some titanX owners too.

Shiney things.

Some people will think its worth it, some people won't.

I'm in the same camp as a lot of people on here, (including anybird123) just because its a new shiney thing to play with :D

And at the end of the day, if your a graphics whore like most of us are, (otherwise you wouldn't be spending £600.00 on a graphics card) then a 25% increase is welcome.

Saying all that, I actually haven't made my mind up yet, whether to get one or not. Not because of money, just because I am in no rush to do so, so will just let the pre-order free for all, die down first.

I bought a GTX 970 for £240 sold it 7 months later for £220...

Did you buy the card new? If you did, it's a prime example of a daft second hand buyer, unless you got it for a fab price when new. I say this jokingly, but I hope it was one of the lesser brands, the warranty tied to the first owner and the card has now died a smoking death leaving the second hand buyer with a part worth zero - that'll teach 'em for paying too much for second hand tat :D...when they could have bought new for £20 more with a 3 year warranty (or whatever)

Last edited:

I don't think it's worth it but I'm very close to get 1080 anyway.:D
Probably gonna get something like 250£ for my current card by the look of it.

I don't think it's worth it but I'm very close to get 1080 anyway.:D
Probably gonna get something like 250£ for my current card by the look of it.

I've got two EVGA 1080 FE's coming tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on with them. Improvement over Ti etc.

I was set on keeping my Ti's but went 1080's anyway lol. Lucky enough to grab 2 before stock ran back out again. Both going under water aswell.

My Ti's are going straight on the bay tomorrow. Will have them sold before the 10th when the 1070's hit. Hopefully will get a little more for them that way.

thanks, I saw your posts, so really interested especially with EK blocks (planning myself).

Not sure about SLI though by reading comments on forum about micro stuttering etc. (puts me off)

thanks, I saw your posts, so really interested especially with EK blocks (planning myself).

Not sure about SLI though by reading comments on forum about micro stuttering etc. (puts me off)

Never had an issue with micro stuttering ever. I've experienced it with drivers or settings messed up. But nothing that cannot be quickly and easily fixed.

Put it this way I far prefer smoothness (high fps) over high resolution. I'd have stopped using SLI ages ago if it gave me such problems.

I'd certainly try it and return the card if it's not for you.

Some people will think its worth it, some people won't.

I'm in the same camp as a lot of people on here, (including anybird123) just because its a new shiney thing to play with :D

And at the end of the day, if your a graphics whore like most of us are, (otherwise you wouldn't be spending £600.00 on a graphics card) then a 25% increase is welcome.

Saying all that, I actually haven't made my mind up yet, whether to get one or not. Not because of money, just because I am in no rush to do so, so will just let the pre-order free for all, die down first.

Yeah that's pretty much where I am. To begin with I ruled out a 1080 but of course the upgrade itch has kicked in and I'm seriously considering it now. I'm in no rush either and what with the lack of 1080 stock at the moment I wouldn't want to sell and be without a card for weeks.
I've seen some 980tis sell for £370 so if that price holds up and I can sell it for that once 1080 stock is in then I will most likely upgrade.

My theory to is that if I wait for the 1080ti which will most likely be even more expensive than the 1080 by that time the 980ti second hand price would have dropped quite a bit by then so it would cost even more to upgrade, although I suppose you would get more of a performance increase.

Shiny new toys :)

I've got two EVGA 1080 FE's coming tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on with them. Improvement over Ti etc.

I was set on keeping my Ti's but went 1080's anyway lol. Lucky enough to grab 2 before stock ran back out again. Both going under water aswell.

My Ti's are going straight on the bay tomorrow. Will have them sold before the 10th when the 1070's hit. Hopefully will get a little more for them that way.

would be interesting to see gaming performance between sli ti's vs 1080's.

Looking at the benchmarks thread, the 1080's are currently up top single and SLI

Back
Top Bottom