The gypsy problem

fez

fez

Caporegime
That show was only looking at crime statistics in the 1 mile radius around the traveller sites as well. So if the travellers commit the crime outside of that it gets added to the "non-traveller" crime stats.

Man of Honour
When the police get a call about an armed or potentially armed suspect/incident they will send armed police units in response. Many traveling communities are armed with at least legal shotguns if not illegal firearms. Sending in the army with weapons is precautionary and indeed a show of force. That doesn't automatically mean they're going to immediately open fire in some kind of executioner squad.

But it does mean you're making that an option. Showing force that you won't use is a daft idea. You might try it once in an emergency, but making it routine policy is a daft idea.

Also, you're making no distinction between police and army. They're not the same thing.

Associate
OP
But it does mean you're making that an option. Showing force that you won't use is a daft idea. You might try it once in an emergency, but making it routine policy is a daft idea.

Also, you're making no distinction between police and army. They're not the same thing.

I hear you. Obviously the 'stick' is there if the carrot is not accepted.

I also take the point about army/police. Ideally it'd be the police but like I said they don't have the resources with their current funding and the army has been deployed previously so it's not an entirely new idea.

I'm just spit-balling. I get frustrated with injustices on every level of society and just wish there was something we the people could do about it all.

(Don't get me started on airline companies, stock buy-backs, bonuses and bailouts!)

Soldato
I assume some people are talking about the latest episode of Dispatches The Truth About Traveller Crime? Quite an eye opening episode, I didn't know the police were turning a blind eye to more extreme anti social behaviour which is very concerning.

Soldato
What I find strange is the fact that some people in this thread are so quick to jump to extremes.

When the police get a call about an armed or potentially armed suspect/incident they will send armed police units in response. Many traveling communities are armed with at least legal shotguns if not illegal firearms. Sending in the army with weapons is precautionary and indeed a show of force. That doesn't automatically mean they're going to immediately open fire in some kind of executioner squad.

That isn't a remotely proportionate deployment of military resources. It's a policing operation, it gets done by the police. We don't even deploy the army (overtly) when there are terrorists on the streets, you really think they're going to be sent in to a travellers' site because of some shotguns?

Associate
OP
That isn't a remotely proportionate deployment of military resources. It's a policing operation, it gets done by the police. We don't even deploy the army (overtly) when there are terrorists on the streets, you really think they're going to be sent in to a travellers' site because of some shotguns?
I've already typed the response to this comment many times in this thread already.

Associate
OP
Indeed, which suggests you're still not understanding it so I thought I'd give it a try myself.
Whatever. I've already said I understand that viewpoint. Not in the mood for smarta**es today.

Repeating what's already been said isn't really contributing to the discussion, is it?

Soldato
There was a scene in the documentary were a gypsy is squaring up to the police man.. threatening him.. the police guy should have either pulled out his tazer or truncheon and used it, then arrested him. Or if he thought things would escalate out of his control.. then fall back, call for back up and if they get threatened again, use force and arrest the lot of them.

A citizen is allowed to use reasonable violence if you think you're about to come under immediate physical attack. When the police back off then these types of people know they can get away with it. So what chance as a member of the public got when its happening to them?

Soldato
The police can't do **** these days. Even threatening to 'make something up' gets you all over the news. Can you imagine if the police went batons out against some traveller teens, they'd have every book thrown at them even if their lives were in danger. An officer was recently killed by travellers, that's what it took to raid a caravan park.

Transmission breaker
Don
Good luck taking on a group of the "dodgy" travellers (a minority of the wider group).

They use their kids as weapons, safety in numbers, and will happily escalate a situation further than most "normal" people are willing to. They know it works and it's their trump card.

They use intimidation, fear and illicit tactics to outmanoeuvre the police who are totally under staffed to deal with a threat of that sort. Hence they just work to be enough of an inconvenience to get them to move on once the local community has had enough, and moving (which was always on the cards anyway) becomes their preferred option.
The police just want the problem moved so they can get back to normal police work.

I don't know what the solution is, and it's wrong that a whole community is tarred with the same brush, but it is a problem!

I have experience with a settled community living in my village, my kids go to school with their kids. They can be a bit rough around the edges and have some very different ideals, but that's no crime!

Sadly I have also dealt with the other kind, and it's never been a pleasant experience.

Soldato
Instead of leaving it to the police to deal with large, unruly groups of them, they should use the army.

Yes I'm sure many of them aren't full time criminals, but the good ones don't seem to do anything to keep a lid on the bad ones.

Soldato
Maybe not quite needing the army involved, but what about expanding the use of TSG groups within the police.

even the rowdiest groups of travellers would likely balk at the thought of taking on a serial

expand that thinking to not just travellers but any groups causing or likely to cause a public nuisance be it feral youths travellers or whatever comes up. Make it as overt as possible and let the 99% of decent law abiding people get on with their life’s in safety and peace

Caporegime
Couldn't make this up - literally just had 3 of them turn up at the house next door to us (it's currently empty as it was getting a full renovation) and start taking away all of the building materials that are outside!

Soldato
They're a different species, it's a bit rainman like as they just are on a different mental planet where they can't comprehend consequences or punishment.

It's more like medieval. I dunno answer though.

Back
Top Bottom