The 'Hiper-Explosive' Club

Associate
This is scary i think i own 1 of these power supplys is itthe blue 1 ?. if so ive had it 3 years and never had 1 problem with it. but after readding this CO2 fire extinguisher near thep c ? :p.

Associate
jinxed me g/f 2 hours after posting her psu died
smelt like the bumber cars didnt give it enough time to do anything else

no dead components when it went
type m 580w

she nicked me corsair and just installed me new be quiet dp 650w

Associate
my second hiper 580 just died today woke up this morning and pc was off and there was a strong burning smell infact the whole upstairs stinks of it!

so thats 2 for 2 in 4ish years for me first one didn't take anything with it so hope the second one didn't either

Associate
mines still going strong maybe when ive got my full new pc and no longer need this 1 i will donate my power supply to someone to be blown up or something. anyway had it years no problems so far had 1 where i heard clcikign sound as i said but i just punched the side of the psu a few times it stopped and has never done it again :O.

Associate
my second hiper 580 just died today woke up this morning and pc was off and there was a strong burning smell infact the whole upstairs stinks of it!

so thats 2 for 2 in 4ish years for me first one didn't take anything with it so hope the second one didn't either

snap! my second one (replacement) went bang today, 2.5 yrs after the first.

Exactly the same way as the first, got home turned it on and all i had was a high pitched whine and some fan movement.

Hopefully like last time it aint taken anything else with it.

i posted here when the last 1 went.

Thinknig of the OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w

Last edited:
Associate
Bought my first Hiper Type R 580W PSU in Jan of 06. That blew and I got a replacement a couple of years ago. The replacement just died with a bang a couple of days ago.

Forteunately, neither failures took any components with it.

Soldato
Woah I didn't know Hipers were that bad.:eek:
I've had mine nearly for 3 years now. Still running the same spec in my sig but just added a 250GB HDD. The rear fan doesn't spin anymore and that's just about it. :p

Oh and just a quick question: If my Hiper PSU decides to die, will it take the rest of the components with it?
Well guys, it happened! (Really unhappy to be joining the club btw :D :mad:)

I went on to flick the switch at the back, and then POP. Blue spark came out and some burning smell. **** me up really bad! I then quickly unplugged the kettle lead and left it. It blew the fuse which made the whole thing even more annoying. Now what do I do? Get a new PSU then try that? Will all of the components be functioning or does it take out components randomly when it blows up? I just hope my HDDs are fine. :(

Associate
i've just got a ocz modxstream 600w to replace my hiper 530 m, my hiper works fine but ofter reading this thread i dont trust it anymore, i'll be swapping it over this weekend.

Associate
I had a Hiper which i got about 4 or so years ago, at the time i think it was one of the only modular ones.

it died last year and replaced it with another, wish i had seen these posts before then :p

but im in the process of making a new rig using a corsair HX 750W which from what ive read are very good :)

edit: should have added rest of the PC was fine. was just a dead psu

but its another one to add to the list :o

Permabanned
I've had two of these die on me so far, the first one just died and then the replacement shortly after trying to power a GTX280 with it.

But it never took anything with it thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom